Real Things Happening In The World, Forget Kramer

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
There are real things happening in the world, not related to a washed up star's racist ways. This is very very very bad news from the Middle East, the type that could seriously destabilize the region in a way which could get "other" parties involved. By ZEINA KARAM and SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writers 20 minutes ago BEIRUT, Lebanon - Pierre Gemayel, scion of Lebanon's most prominent Christian family and a leading opponent of Syria, was gunned down Tuesday in a brazen daytime hit. The assassination threatened to intensify Lebanon's power struggle between the U.S.-allied government and the Syrian-backed Hezbollah. Gemayel, 34, was leaving church when he fell into a well-coordinated attack: One vehicle cut off his car from the front, another rammed him from behind, then gunmen burst out and sprayed a dozen bullets into his passenger-side window.The killing sent tensions spiraling at a time when Lebanon was already facing a worsening political crisis. The Shiite Muslim guerrilla group Hezbollah and its pro-Syrian allies have threatened massive protests ??? as early as Thursday ??? aimed at bringing down Prime Minister Fuad Saniora's government unless it gives them greater power.President Bush condemned the assassination and accused Syria and Iran of seeking to undermine Saniora's government. Bush stopped short of specifically blaming them for Gemayel's death, though the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, John R. Bolton, raised the possibility.Anti-Syrian politicians in Lebanon, however, directly pointed the finger at Damascus, and some Gemayel supporters demanded revenge against Syria's Lebanese allies.Bands of young Christians broke car windows and burned tires and garbage cans in their areas of Beirut and the Gemayel family's mountain hometown of Bikfaya to the northeast. But Lebanese troops quickly stopped the unrest and set up checkpoints to prevent demonstrations in the coming days. A funeral was set for Thursday in downtown Beirut, with the anti-Syrian factions calling for mass participation.Politicians from all sides scrambled to contain the fallout of the assassination, urging calm amid fears of an outbreak of the brutal violence between Lebanon's sharply divided communities that marked the 1975-90 civil war.A stunned-looking former president Amin Gemayel ??? Pierre's father and leader of the Phalange Party ??? urged his supporters to observe a night of "prayer and reflection.""We don't want an outburst of emotions and revenge," he said outside the hospital where his son died. "He was martyred for the cause of Lebanon, and we want this cause to triumph. ... To all those who love Pierre, we should not be driven by instinct."Bush called the slaying "the vicious face of those who oppose freedom" and vowed support for Saniora's government."We support their efforts to defend their democracy against attempts by Syria, Iran and allies to foment instability and violence in that important country," Bush said after having breakfast with U.S. troops stationed in Hawaii.Saniora's government is dominated by opponents of Syria. Many see the demands by its opponents as a bid by Damascus to restore its influence in its smaller neighbor ??? and by Hezbollah to boost its power, riding on increased popularity among Lebanon's Shiite Muslim population following this summer's war with Israel.Pierre Gemayel, an outspoken opponent of Hezbollah, was the fifth anti-Syrian figure killed in the past two years and the first member of the Saniora government to be slain. Many in Lebanon have accused Damascus in the previous assassinations, including the 2005 bomb blast that killed former prime minister Rafik Hariri, a claim Syria has denied.Saniora went on national television to call for unity and warned that "sedition" was being planned against Lebanon. He linked Gemayel's slaying to the issue that sparked the recent crisis with Hezbollah: a plan for an international court to try suspects in the Hariri assassination. He said Lebanese should rally behind the government's backing for such a court."I pledge to you that your blood will not go in vain," Saniora said, eulogizing Gemayel. "We will not let the murderers control the fate of Lebanon and the future of its children."Syria and Iran both condemned Gemayel's slaying, and Syria's Information Minister Mohsen Bilal denied Syria had any role. "Those who are accusing Syria in this sick way ... do not have an iota of truth or credibility," he said on Al-Jazeera.Tuesday's hit came hours before the U.N. Security Council endorsed a draft document creating the international court to try suspects in the Hariri murder, in which an U.N. investigation has implicated several Syrian officials. The document then goes to the Lebanese government for final approval.With the possibly explosive atmosphere following Tuesday's assassination, it was not clear whether Hezbollah would go ahead with its threat to hold massive anti-government demonstrations. If it does, it would throw Lebanon deeper into turmoil, putting it into confrontation with many Gemayel supporters now itching for a fight. Gemayel, the industry minister, was the rising star of his Maronite Christian political family, which has seen four other members killed in the past three decades of Lebanon's violence. Past attacks on Gemayel's family have sparked brutal reprisals. A 1975 assassination attempt against his grandfather, also named Pierre, prompted Phalangists to attack a busload of Palestinian refugees in what became the spark of a 15-year sectarian civil war. After the killing of Amin Gemayel's brother, Bashir, in a 1982 explosion, his militia supporters stormed Palestinian refugee camps in Beirut, killing hundreds of unarmed civilians in one of the worst atrocities of the Lebanon conflict. On Tuesday, Gemayel was traveling through his mainly Christian constituency of Jdeideh when a vehicle in front of his slammed to a stop, causing his car to ram into it, security officials said. Witnesses said Gemayel's car was also rammed from behind. Three gunmen stepped out of the other vehicles and shot Gemayel at point-blank range with automatic weapons fitted with silencers, security officials said. Video showed Gemayel's car, which apparently had been shot at from both sides: The passenger-side window was shattered and the driver's-side window was dotted with about a dozen bullet holes, and the front hood was crumpled. Gemayel's driver and another person in the car were wounded. They were rushed to a hospital where Gemayel was pronounced dead. The driver died later Tuesday. The attackers fled. At the hospital, some 300 supporters called for vengeance, many of them chanting slogans against Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, pro-Syrian President Emile Lahoud and Hezbollah's Christian ally, Michel Aoun. "We want revenge from Hezbollah and the General (Aoun)!" young men shouted, shaking their fists in the air. Other Phalange supporters, including women, screamed and wept. They called on supporters to march to a nearby Shiite neighborhood and Aoun's residence in a Christian suburb east of Beirut. "Nasrallah, Aoun and Lahoud, they killed him," shouted Antoine Shaaya, a man in his late 20s who wore a large cross around his neck. "And we won't be silent after today."

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    ....as I sit in my comfortable quiet home, making dinner, and watching TV in the beautiful United States.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    This is very very very bad news from the Middle East, the type that could seriously destabilize the region in a way which could get "other" parties involved.

True Indeed. Chances are though, "other" parties are probably already involved. Lebanon has been a battlefield for Israel, Syria, Iran, the US, and the Palestinians for some time. No one is suggesting that Gemayel had any prominent enemies inside Lebanon.

This assasination fits Syria's M.O. -a very professional and intimidating killing of a prominent anti-Syrian voice in Lebanese politics on the eve of the Hariri report being released, and after the 6 Shia/ Pro-Syrian ministers resigned from parliament in anticipation of the Lebanese Govt announced it's backing of the UN report condemning Syria for Hariri's death.

However, Syria has shown a recent willingness to have talks with Israel and better relations with the US, and that has a lot of people asking what Syria would have to gain from such a brazen killing at this particular moment.

Thursday is Gemayel's funeral and also the day Hesbollah plans to stage street protests in it's bid to recieve more power, and possibly mount a coup of some kind. It will be a miracle if this passes without violence.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    By other parties, I meant obviously Syria and Iran. And by "involved" I meant direct warfare/attacks on Lebanon.

• There are real things happening in the world, not related to a washed up star's racist ways. This is very very very bad news from the Middle East, the type that could seriously destabilize the region in a way which could get "other" parties involved.

No disrespect to the Non, but I hate how this board sometimes gets a little too self-righteous when assessing the world situation ("Hey, kid, put down dat Enquirer and stop worryin' about Kramer from Seinfeld and look at whut's goin' on in the world! Ooh, I'm commentatin' on the NOOZ now - look how SERIOUS I am!"). The Mideast situation is very important, but there's no sense in us becoming a bunch of middle-school Bill Mahers.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I feel you dunnie. I was actually gonna say how one of the biggest things I hated about the Kramer thread was the proselytizing, condescension,(sic, frack, I thought so!) and attempted didacticism throughout the thread.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    proselytizing, condescencion, didacticism

for those who are wondering;

1. proselytizing: to induce someone to convert to one's faith

2. condescencion: (should be CONDESCEN"S"ION) voluntary descent from one's rank or dignity in relations with an inferior

3. didacticism: designed or intended to teach

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    By other parties, I meant obviously Syria and Iran. And by "involved" I meant direct warfare/attacks on Lebanon.

I hear you, and I think that's a possibility as well. I'd add the US and Israel to the list of possible "other parties" as well, because as I said Lebanon has historically been a battleground for the interests of all these actors.

The two main events that this could be in reference to are:

a) The UN tribunal on Rafik Hariri's death is about to unveil it's report, which will reportedly place the blame on Syria or Syria-related actors, which will have a negative effect for Syrian aligned Hesbollah and Amal, among others. So there is speculation that those, including Gemayel who are vocal anti Syrian leaders, set to back the report, are in danger of assasination at Syrian or Pro-Syrian hands.

b) Hesbollah is on the ascent in Lebanon, they plan to take to the streets with their supporters Thursday until they get a larger say in the government. This makes the US and Israel extremely nervous. Killing a prominent Xian leader is one way to create backlash against pro-Syrian groups such as Hesbollah.

In Lebanon unfortunately, you never know..

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    edit: Hesbollah is now saying they're delaying street protests until some time after the mourning period..

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    there is no oil in lebanon or syria
    so who really cares?
    answer=israel
    sunni fighters use syria as an entry point into iraq
    and the jews hate hezbollah /vs versa
    nothing will stop this except iran nukeing israel or vice/versa
    what elae is new?

i wish they would all go to war over israel already and get it over with already.
    the israeli's should just stop fronting with refugee camps and ghettos
    they should round up all of the palestinians and exterminate them in a more mechanized fashion like hitler did.

israel does whatever it wants anyway so why bother with facades of civility or humanity.

Examples include israel building"settlements" on deeded titled legally owned palestinian land in the west bank,using white phosphorus and cluster bombs in urban areas as well as depleted uranium shells which are proven to cause cancer.
    Also worth noting is the fact that mossad/israeli intelligence kills/assassinates
    whoever they see fit to kill ALL THE TIME
    so how is this puppet assasination any different?

the results are the same ,it's just taking 5 generations instead of 4 years to rub out the palestinian existence
    Organized RELIGION on BOTH sides HAVE FAILED THE PEOPLE MISERABLY
    and the joker in the deck is..........
    US defense companies happy to sell wepons to Israel which are exterminating these people
    or
    Russian/FRENCH/Chinese/IRANIAN arms dealers/manufacturers that wind up in hezboollah's hands
    these people have been killling themselves over this shit for thousands of years
    enough already
    lance the wound so all the bad blood is released and then we can start anew
    there is nothing 100 megatons won't cure