Powered speakers or not? Plaese to advise.....

JustaloniousJustalonious 54 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
YoThe time has come for me to step up my game and get a P.A. for the small club/dancefloor situation. I have heard some people love the powered speakers, while others tell me that they HATE them, the argument being that they break too easy.What do you dudes think? Experiences? Recommendations?Help a fellow out?j

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The mackie series of powered speakers is rock solid, as is their line of unpowered speakers. Buying powered speakers eliminates the game of matching up amp and speakers. If you do buy unpowered, don't skimp on the amp.

• The mackie series of powered speakers is rock solid, as is their line of unpowered speakers. Buying powered speakers eliminates the game of matching up amp and speakers. If you do buy unpowered, don't skimp on the amp.

and the Events are dope (though the bass response is a little misleading in smaller rooms).

Also, if buying unpowered, make sure you hear the speakers thru the amp

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    powered are the way to go... less to lug, less things to break, and you can rent 'em out as a sound system...

• Thanks fellas.....

I have been told that Yorkville is a good brand of unpowered speakers. The lady that rents me gear told me that powered speakers are made like shit. SHE says they break easily, and she has strong opinions about them. Another DJ buddy loves his JBL eons (self-powered). Anyone have negative experiences with the powered?

j

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Thanks fellas.....

[...] Anyone have negative experiences with the powered?

j

I have the powered JBLs and have no complaints. I used the pair in a larger room a couple months back and felt like I had to really push the volume, though. So they do have their limitations.