Record Store folks...have ya ever wanna say

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
..."Yeah it may be before my time muhfugger, but I bet I know a hell of lot more about YOUR era of music than you do!!!!"I wish I had a dollar for every dude who says this to me then asks about a fuckin' Moody Blues record or some shit...drives me up a fucking wall...

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah unfriendly people at record stores are no fun. I always run into that at Amoeba. Other places you go though people love to see younger people digging through records, and those places tend to have better music and are very helpful.

• ..."Yeah it may be before my time muhfugger, but I bet I know a hell of lot more about YOUR era of music than you do!!!!"

I wish I had a dollar for every dude who says this to me then asks about a fuckin' Moody Blues record or some shit...drives me up a fucking wall...

The best, though, is when they're looking for something truely obscure. I sold a Finnigan & Wood LP last week and the guy couldn't believe I had it or had ever even heard of it. A few months ago an ex-Viet vet came in looking for a certain weird record him and his buddies listened to back in the day. All he could remember was that it was pychedelic, a double album and was a Japanese guy. I asked if it was the Harumi LP on Verve and he nearly shit his pants. Even better, I had a copy at home for him.

• ..."Yeah it may be before my time muhfugger, but I bet I know a hell of lot more about YOUR era of music than you do!!!!"

I wish I had a dollar for every dude who says this to me then asks about a fuckin' Moody Blues record or some shit...drives me up a fucking wall...

The best, though, is when they're looking for something truely obscure. I sold a Finnigan & Wood LP last week and the guy couldn't believe I had it or had ever even heard of it. A few months ago an ex-Viet vet came in looking for a certain weird record him and his buddies listened to back in the day. All he could remember was that it was pychedelic, a double album and was a Japanese guy. I asked if it was the Harumi LP on Verve and he nearly shit his pants. Even better, I had a copy at home for him.

thats a cool story

AND doodoo dropped!

That's kinda what gets me...meeting these people in their late forties or early fifties who think they're Schoolin' The Young Folks about Jimi Hendrix, as if he were some obscure artist on a small label whose music went out of print years ago. Yeah, fool, I'll give you credit just 'cause you were there, but damn, don't go acting like I couldn't just look this shit up in used record stores and rock history books and whatnot - I'm not some shallow Ciara fan, gimme some credit here!

It's like this time, years and years ago, talking with this one friend of mine who played guitar in blues bands...I remember I said something like "most of my fave Pink Floyd records were with Syd Barrett, like 'See Emily Play'," and he was all like: man, what do you know about Syd Barrett? If you're so smart, what album is that from?

It's from their first album, Pink Floyd.

"No, it's not! It's on an album called Relics !"

Okay, just so y'all know: Pink Floyd was their self-titled debut (in America) on the Tower label. Relics was a compilation. That'd be like saying "Purple Haze" wasn't on Are You Experienced?, it was on Smash Hits! Even if I had brought my original plastic-bagged copy of that Pink Floyd album from home, the geezer wouldn't have believed me!

• Come on! Harumi is a little bit better than "doodoo".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Okay, just so y'all know: Pink Floyd was their self-titled debut (in America) on the Tower label. Relics was a compilation. That'd be like saying "Purple Haze" wasn't on Are You Experienced?, it was on Smash Hits! Even if I had brought my original plastic-bagged copy of that Pink Floyd album from home, the geezer wouldn't have believed me!

There is no self-titled Pink Floyd album

It only says their name on the front of the sleeve but its called PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

But I actually have a story along these lines from last wknd: 50-something dude hanging out at tha digspot, looks at what I'm buying and asks if I'm looking for rock at all... I'm like yeah but mostly pretty obscure old stuff these days. He says 'you mean like the Spiral Staircase?'

He was also talking up an Enigma CD...

• It's from their first album, Pink Floyd.

There is no self-titled Pink Floyd album

It only says their name on the front of the sleeve but its called PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

I don't care - it sez Pink Floyd on the front cover, Pink Floyd on the label, The Pink Floyd on the damned spine. So out of convenience, that's what I call it. Only on the back cover is it identified as Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. One man's Led Zeppelin IV is another person's Zoso - you got your title, I got mine, but you know what LP I'm talkin' 'bout, right?

You also mentioned the Spiral Starecase (not "STAIRcase")...nothing to do with nothing, but that video clip of them currently on Youtube is pretty funny!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I don't care - it sez Pink Floyd on the front cover, Pink Floyd on the label, The Pink Floyd on the damned spine. So out of convenience, that's what I call it. Only on the back cover is it identified as Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. One man's Led Zeppelin IV is another person's Zoso - you got your title, I got mine, but you know what LP I'm talkin' 'bout, right?

I think you mean Relics.

• Come on! Harumi is a little bit better than "doodoo".

cosine. Top shelf...there are some sublime moments on that record, the string arrangemnts on some songs are

That's kinda what gets me...meeting these people in their late forties or early fifties who think they're Schoolin' The Young Folks about Jimi Hendrix, as if he were some obscure artist on a small label whose music went out of print years ago. Yeah, fool, I'll give you credit just 'cause you were there, but damn, don't go acting like I couldn't just look this shit up in used record stores and rock history books and whatnot - I'm not some shallow Ciara fan, gimme some credit here!

It's like this time, years and years ago, talking with this one friend of mine who played guitar in blues bands...I remember I said something like "most of my fave Pink Floyd records were with Syd Barrett, like 'See Emily Play'," and he was all like: man, what do you know about Syd Barrett? If you're so smart, what album is that from?

ciara has some heat.

and the holier than though record shop dude is never a good look, but sometimes people come in talking super sideways. all you can do is be polite.. i mean that comes with the territory of selling records.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Come on! Harumi is a little bit better than "doodoo".

I think he meant doo doo was dropped when the guy shit his pants after him knowing about Harumi.

but yeah that Harumi lp is a cool rackord.

ciara has some heat.

yeah, but crunk music (or whatever the hell she sings) really isn't my thing, so i don't really care

and the holier than though record shop dude is never a good look, but sometimes people come in talking super sideways. all you can do is be polite.. i mean that comes with the territory of selling records.

the older pink floyd fan i was referring to was just some cat i knew, i didnt meet him thru a record store

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was at the local store buying 45s on sunday morning & this guy practically dragged one of the employees to the metal section and asked if they had any Ozzy CDs & DVDs. The employee said yeah & showed him the 'O' section. The guy then found a double CD & pushed it upon the employee without saying a word (I'll add that it was probably a used 'Live & Loud' for $20). The employee was like "so you want to take this one?" & the guy stopped dead looked him straight in the eye & yelled "I don't mess around!!!" Then practically dragged the employee to the DVD section. The guy definitely seemed a few sockets short of a set. Cracked me up, but I did feel pretty bad for the employee.