cassettes

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
...seeing this brought back crazy memories, then I realized, it hasn't been that long ago...Is anyone still using tape? I haven't touched a cassette in years.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Boombox summers.

• i have a lot of mixtapes i still bump a lot

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I got shoeboxes of tapes... some of them are raer.

I gotta get me a really nice tape deck before it comes too late....

Oh man, in JAPAN, they still make mixtapes. At DMR, one of the biggest stores, they still do tapes. A whole wall full with listening booth...

Even MURO does tapes still... the King Of Diggin' Series + Hot Choclate + etc. etc. + the Super Disco Breaks 2 Casette Pack Vol 1 and Vol 2 just got reissued *ON TAPE* last time I was there... it's nuts out there. I don't think tapes will ever die out in Nippon, they are hardcore about it like their vinyl obession...

I love tapes, I love the smell when u unshrinkwrap them, and I love folding out the inlay cards and reading all that shit... thats how my music obsession started.

Who remembers some home made tapes they had back in the day?

I remember I had Big Daddy Kane with Arabian Prince on the b-side...

Also I had The DOC and Straight Outta Compton on a tape...

oh man... the memories of taping radio shows and listening to that shit, then taping over it the next week... crusty tapes. Buying a box of 10 TDK C90s.... bringing a few blank tapes to school and having your hommie copy you some shit "high speed dubbing"... trading tapes, loosing tapes... holding down play and fast forward to find the next song (and fucking up the tape in the process)... having boomboxes eat tapes... DAMN!

trading tapes with fools on alt.rap and rec.music.hip-hop... thats how i got the saafir vs. casual and also the OG version of Ras Kass album and hella good life cafe tapes and unreleased Rakim tracks, etc.

BRING BACK THE TAPES BATCHEZ OR YOUR THIS REAL MO FUCKIN SHIT WILL DIE

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i make tapes all the time:

IMG src=http://myspace-194.vo.llnwd.net/00757/49/12/757932194_l.jpg>

my masterpiece is gonna be a limited edition cassette.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i found some tape that my sister and her ex-boyfriend recorded a while ago recently. no it wasnt some whatever the fuck shit, my sister was just singing on some track. it was really weird

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I love folding out the inlay cards and reading all that shit... thats how my music obsession started.

I fuckin love tapes.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    I strictly use tapes for mixes for myself and friends. It helps that I have a tape deck in my truck.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i have about 5 or 6 soul tapes ive made with stuff ive sold over the past 5 years. i have one of them here at the house i play all the time.

ive recently been getting in touch with old friends who used to dj and am buying their tape collections off of them. back in middle school we used to record every dj gig in order to try and join some older and better crews out here. gotten some pretty nice mid-late 80s rap tapes.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    yeah some dudes overseas are serious about their tapes. i actually know dudes that will trade vinyl for tape versions of the same album just because they prefer the tape.

• I heard the new day album...is strictly cassingle (18 in total)...can you verify this rumor?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I used to cop those super deluxe TDK MA joints for those special occasions. SA-X was the reg one.

These were like $10 eagles per back in the day.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I used to cop those super deluxe TDK MA joints for those special occasions. SA-X was the reg one.

These were like $10 eagles per back in the day.

Oh yes...the ones with the metallic casing, right? HEAVY!

SG

Oh yes...the ones with the metallic casing, right? HEAVY!

The frame was extra heavy to reduce vibration.

MASTER Scott was my homie's name for a minute.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I love folding out the inlay cards and reading all that shit... thats how my music obsession started.

I fuckin love tapes.

Fuck yeah. I still listen to tapes on the regular.

• i fucking love tapes too.... i had a 30gig i pod and i lasted 6 fucking months and died. fuck i -pods and their short life span!!! i went straight back to using my chunky walkman - that thing hasnt broken i a million years and has a warm, fuzzy sound. plus making tapes is fun... as stated above.

I used to lace my cassette cases w/ magazine photos and shit. I'd hook uo the labels that came w/ the tape so the shit wasnt just marker on white. I still get busy w/ CDs, but tapes have that special magic.

"Can I make you a tape?"

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Tape is the best format for listening to rap. Something about the lo-fi or extra bass or some shit. I love em.

• i've got stupid tapes from the last 15 years of beats i've made, mixes, mix-tapes, radio shows etc.... made sure when i bought my truck that it had a tape deck!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Tape is the best format for listening to rap. Something about the lo-fi or extra bass or some shit. I love em.

95% of the rap shit i have from 1987-1992 is on cassette

for some reason, nearly any cassette box i look in, whether it be at a garage sale, thrift store, wherever always has at least 2 or 3 rap cassettes...

So true. It seems to retain that grit. If I pop in an old radio tape shit sound so "authentic".