The Modern Soul Recommendation List

Comments

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

as for the rest of the LP's in that picture I have all of them except Jakky boy (actually I have doubles of the rest). Is the Jakky 80's or 70's? I'm used to most Salsoul having more of a disco beat but there are some great moder joints there as well. can you give me a description of the LP's sound?

Hmm how should I describe this LP best? Maybe tight 80ies funk with heavy keyboards? You won't find the typical Salsoul disco beat you mentioned on this one. It somehow reminds me of the 1983 Glass LP on HCRC. Here are two tracks so you can check it out:

http://download.yousendit.com/9A3B518D6EFCADEF

http://download.yousendit.com/8C7EF11A628ABB43

Do you have the 1982 Gene Van Buren LP on Motown?. Recently bought that one on ebay and didn't regret it

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Do you have the 1982 Gene Van Buren LP on Motown?. Recently bought that one on ebay and didn't regret it

"What's Your Pleasure?" is an absolute classic boogie soul album.

SG

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Can someone nail down Modern Soul for me once and for all??? Depending on who ya talk to, it always seems like people are talking about two different era's. On one side you got the people who relate it with Northern Soul and then you got the people who put it with late 70's - Mid 80's shit.

While most in this thread are putting it down with the 80's steez, you might start a bitch fest with some people on the other side or the argument.

In any case...

I :heart:

Oh and I just became aware of The Modulations - I Can't Fight Your Love recently. If anyone wants to send me a minty one for Xmas. That would be super!

• Do you have the 1982 Gene Van Buren LP on Motown?. Recently bought that one on ebay and didn't regret it

"What's Your Pleasure?" is an absolute classic boogie soul album.

SG

Just about to mention that record- dude's voice is mad corny, but the songs are nice. I was gonna mention that lp in the "raers you found in your crib" thread too... i probably had that schitt since before man walked upright, just came across it in the crates and found out that it goes for a little $$$

other fairly common modern faves just off the top of the dome (some may just be one-trackers, but so what)-

what, you wanted some raer schitt? you know how that goes....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

One-tracker/

• One-tracker/

I actually like two tracks on that album. But yeah, one of them is particularly IMO as well

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Can someone nail down Modern Soul for me once and for all???
    Please. I'm also baffled by what exactly is 'Modern Soul'.

One-tracker/

I actually like two tracks on that album. But yeah, one of them is particularly IMO as well

I only know that album for "It Must Have Been Love", and every time I see it for ??30+ over here (i.e., whenever I see it at all), I curse myself for not buying it in 81 or whenever. Incredible song.

Incidentally, back when I was a young 'un, I once saw Wornell Jones playing bass in Nils Lofgren's band. Dude was nice with his.

One-tracker/

I only know that album for "It Must Have Been Love", and every time I see it for ??30+ over here (i.e., whenever I see it at all), I curse myself for not buying it in 81 or whenever. Incredible song.

If I remember correctly, the rest of the LP is in more of a rock/soul vein than "It Must Have Been Love." Fantastic tune, but it's definitely not representative of the sound of the album as a whole.

Re: Modern Soul - Here's my highly-subjective definition of Modern Soul. I tend to separate it into 2 distinct eras and/or styles:
    1975-79: the disco era - mellow steppers-type tunes, often with ornate string and brass arrangements; Prince Phillip Mitchell's 2 LPs on Atlantic; Norman Conners; Lamont Dozier on Warners; Jeffree; I would probably put that Eramus Hall LP in this category
    1980-84: the post-disco-era - more synthetic, "boogie" sounding production values; Leroy Burgess; Fat Larry's Band's "Breaking Out" album; Gene Van Buren's "What's Your Pleasure" album; Dayton's "The Sound of Music"; Solar Records

SG

1980-84: the post-disco-era - more synthetic, "boogie" sounding production values; Leroy Burgess; Fat Larry's Band's "Breaking Out" album; Gene Van Buren's "What's Your Pleasure" album; Dayton's "The Sound of Music"; Solar Records; KASHIF

SG

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Re: Modern Soul - Here's my highly-subjective definition of Modern Soul. I tend to separate it into 2 distinct eras and/or styles:
    1975-79: the disco era - mellow steppers-type tunes, often with ornate string and brass arrangements; Prince Phillip Mitchell's 2 LPs on Atlantic; Norman Conners; Lamont Dozier on Warners; Jeffree; I would probably put that Eramus Hall LP in this category
    1980-84: the post-disco-era - more synthetic, "boogie" sounding production values; Leroy Burgess; Fat Larry's Band's "Breaking Out" album; Gene Van Buren's "What's Your Pleasure" album; Dayton's "The Sound of Music"; Solar Records

You sound American

You sound American

Cor Blimey!

• Somebody told me that Newban was essentially Atlantic Starr. All their stuff is pretty dope. Been
    you were informed correctly. newban = atlantic starr trying to think of some other shockers....

vance & suzanne = Unique (djm records)

bad weather = rare function (not like anyone knows bad weather anyhow!!) - i just melted my man damfunk's
    face with that darryl douglas joint last night!

feeling halo- let me do it (6 minute version)

dayton- we can't miss

ashford and simpson- one more try

kalyan- let me love you

audrey wheeler- your love is serious

light of the world - who are you

dazzle
    - expansion

100.3 the beat....los angeles....GUZZO - are you listenin? that one modern gospel tune they play on there.... shit is mindbending.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

100.3 the beat....los angeles....GUZZO - are you listenin?
    that one modern gospel tune they play on there.... shit is mindbending.

Hi T*m, I owe you a phone call

I stopped listening to 100.3 around the time KDAY came back on.

92.3 is the real moder station!

whats the track you're talking about?

• 100.3 the beat....los angeles....GUZZO - are you listenin?
    that one modern gospel tune they play on there.... shit is mindbending.

Hi T*m, I owe you a phone call

I stopped listening to 100.3 around the time KDAY came back on.

92.3 is the real moder station!

whats the track you're talking about?

I've been listening to 100.3 a little bit lately, they've been kinda killin' it. I heard a weekend mix with all new jack swing...Troop, Today, etc, etc, etc. Sounded good.

• our station WILD (check the budweiser 12"s)....they deaded this year. they switched from am to fm, then got bought out only to go to a new rock format. no more maze,luther,atlantic star.nothin.
    radio is garbagio anyway.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you were informed correctly. newban = atlantic starr

trying to think of some other shockers....

bad weather = rare function (not like anyone knows bad weather anyhow!!)

I feel certain I've read that Rhythm Machine became GQ?

If so this would be the Vigor-label RM I'm assuming?

bad weather = rare function (not like anyone knows bad weather anyhow!!)

I feel certain I've read that Rhythm Machine became GQ?

If so this would be the Vigor-label RM I'm assuming?

True dat.

Vigor's Rhythm Makers (not Machine) became GQ. You can hear the basis of the hit "Disco Nights" in their earlier song "Soul On Your Side."

SG

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Not a shocker but I recently learned that Universal Robot Band = Kleeer. Didn't know that before...

• MTKMTK 45 Posts
    Switch (that a brighter tomorrow track is crazy delicious)
    Five Special
    Lamont Dozier - Lamont (This is soooooooo slept on)
    Xavier has some moments

Werd. That and "Working On You" are my favorites in the Dozier catalog.

SG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Werd. That and "Working On You" are my favorites in the Dozier catalog.

SG

after having you recommend this to me several months back I bought one as soon as I could find a copy. I overpaid but it was still money well spent.

people do not sleep

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    *Update*

A Big thank you to Supergood for his past recommendations

this weekend on the strength of his words I picked up

as well as a couple other joints including a Jerry Butler executive produced joint by a group named Omni (any info on these guys?)

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    *Update*

A Big thank you to Supergood for his past recommendations

this weekend on the strength of his words I picked up

as well as a couple other joints including a Jerry Butler executive produced joint by a group named Omni (any info on these guys?)

I can't see your pictures. Which Omni Lp did you buy? I think they recorded three LPs, the one from 1982 is the best IMO.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    Nice buys man! How is the Shadow LP? The cover looks nice. Is it also produced by Leon Ware? I only have the Love Lite LP from 79. Here is a track from the 1982 Omni LP "All For The One":

http://download.yousendit.com/ADEBE1370DD63891

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What is this all about?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

one tracker that costs way to much money!

nice record but a lil' pricey

same as above

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    cosign on the records you mentioned spiv.

Here's another highly recommended goodie.

I passed up on this for $30 a few years ago.

thats about the going rate on it.

the track "I'm the one" is my shit!

outside of Shadow does anyone know what other projects Leon Ware produced in the 80's?

outside of Shadow does anyone know what other projects Leon Ware produced in the 80's?

Ware produced the first, and better, side of this Billy Griffin album from 1985. The title track is classic IMO. The other notable track here is a nice version of Ware's "If I Ever Lose This Heaven."

SG

• guzzo...these are some records that may be missing in your life, I can listen to anyone of these all the way through

hired help band -s/t

gene van buren - whats your pleasure (hope you picked up a copy of this by now cause i'm down to only 8)

slave - stone jam

fathers children - s/t

junior byron - sunshine