Chicago - WAMP WAMP

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
What it do? Hip me to the hip happenings.I'll be in town for turkey day weekend (starting next thurs.) With my lady. Looking for the spots to get wasted, argue about basketball, and some spots to dig that don't have a review website with too many exclamation points. (Although I do want to go in there to see if the employees talk like that.)Also... Nice restaurant tips would be good, but I think the lady's got that on lock.Thanks in advance

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    what neighborhood are you staying in?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Just about every bar and/or club in Chicago will be having some short of pre-Turkey Day jump off.

But (if you like house music) might I suggest heading to Ohm, on North and Damen (the famed "Six Corners") in the Wicker Park neighborhood. It's a new club, opening in the old Red Dog spot. The party is called Home Cookin' and it's always a good time, mixing a pretty upscale club-type atmosphere with the down-to-earth Chicago house crowd.

Tranny DJ Miss Honey Dejon is headlining.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    But (if you like house music) might I suggest heading to Ohm, on North and Damen (the famed "Six Corners" "crotch") in the Wicker Park neighborhood.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Stayin in Hyde Park.

Stayin in Hyde Park.

There's like three bars in the entire neighborhood. Plus, it has a 10 p.m. curfew. Those University of Chicago people keep that shit on lockdown. Good restuarants there, though. Still never had a chance to check out the record store.

I'm not plannin on stayin around Hyde Park too much, as that is exactly what I've heard about it...
    So, anywhere in the city: suggestions!!!
    I PLAN ON BEING ALL CITY. Well, not really, but I do plan on throwin down on some cab fares, so all ideas are appreciated. thx.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    If yr at the 6 corners then D'Vine has some pretty good rap musics. Its right next door to Ohm.

Cheap falafels at Sultan's Market just west of the 6 corners, 3 dollars and they're pretty good. I like the meditteranean food at CousCous on West Taylor the best though - thats near UIC on the near-southwest side.

already?
    well, bump for the night crew.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    sonotheque 1444 w chicago ave. is pretty trendy, alternating between really classy and fun & suffocatingly busy and hipster'd out. I like some of the house nights, reggae sundays is good.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Jim, I work at Hyde Park Records now. www.hydeparkrecords.net Stop in and say hello (This goes for folks living in the city who haven't yet, too!!!)

Im there on Tues. before, and Friday after Thanksgiving. Im pricing 45s, so theres lots of good deals to be had, and alot to look through. LPs and 12s are priced pretty high for my liking, but its a fun shop either way.

where are you coming from Jim? Hyde Park has some excellent restaurants... I suggest trying Ragin Cajun on 53rd, down the street from HPR. Its 1/2 indian 1/2 soul food, and everything there is on point. If you're into BBQ, definitly try Ribs N Bibs. If you want the ill home style Mexican, try Nueva Leone on 18th....where you will find 80% of Chicagos police dept. spending their afternoons every day.

• where are you coming from Jim? Hyde Park has some excellent restaurants... I suggest trying Ragin Cajun on 53rd, down the street from HPR.

can't talk about cool restaurants in the Hyde without mentioning Valois on 53rd near Harper, a pretty good all-purpose cafeteria (what's up, Meat!!)

You know, I still havent tried Valois yet... maybe I will tomorrow. This is the beauty of Hyde Park...

you gotta come down to the shop James!

• Nuevo Leon and Sultans martket is a must.

That Saturday Dj Intel and i are playing at Rodan in Wicker Park
    1530 n. milwaukee (right next to reckless records)

usually a gets pretty full after midnight.We close it out at 3
    and The Note Across the st. closes at 5 (Dj Rude one of S.M.P)

www.rodan.ws

Meaty!me and d went to a newer spot not to far from your place the other day.
    its on 18th and its

holler at you soon.

• You know, I still havent tried Valois yet... maybe I will tomorrow. This is the beauty of Hyde Park...

you gotta come down to the shop James!

you gotta come down to Valois, Meat!

seriously, i didnt know you were workin there now...i usually come by fairly often, so maybe ill see you around there

Thanks!
    Meaty: I'll definitely stop in the store, and I'm coming in from San Diego... I hear it gets cold there! What, does it get below 60 or something? I might have to bring a sweater...
    Nueva Leone sounds good, although I will stay away in the afternoon to avoid the cops...

• Sultan's Market is a must - amazing food. Just don't use a $20 bill. They will claim you gave them a tenner and you'll have to cause a scene to get it back.

• Sultan's Market is a must - amazing food.

I find the food to be mediocre at best.
    Pasty falafel, yet those egg & cheese things are pretty good.

If you want the best burger in Chicago, you must travel to 95th and get a Top Notch.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Sultan's Market is a must - amazing food.

Mediocre might be overstating it, but they're definitely not the best falafel in chicago; they're just good because of convenience, price and location.

• i for one am disapointed that this thread does not contain a link to a homemade clipse house remix

is that some sort of complex "phor"? My homemades get me tight wads.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i for one am disapointed that this thread does not contain a link to a homemade clipse house remix
    Haha! You've reminded me to tune in to boolumaster tonight.

Sultan's Market is a must - amazing food.

Pasty falafel, yet those egg & cheese things are pretty good.

If you want the best burger in Chicago, you must travel to 95th and get a Top Notch.

I can vouch for Top Notch. But only if you've got a lot of extra time. 95th Street is almost always a nightmare. Take you 15 minutes to get from downtown to 95th, then another 20 to get to Top Notch... three miles away.

My personal fav. falafel in the city is Taste of Lebanon on Foster/Ashland. DESTROYS SHIT.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    My personal fav. falafel in the city is Taste of Lebanon on Foster/Ashland. DESTROYS SHIT.

I've never been
    Aside from CousCous on Taylor, which I mentioned already,
    PITA INN
    in skokie

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I've never been
    Aside from CousCous on Taylor, which I mentioned already,
    PITA INN
    in skokie

I don't want to completely reiterate my previous Sultan's rant, but D's right; Sultan's is overrated. Marco's right, too; some real dicks work there. Watch your 20s. It's really the only mediterranean spot for miles, so location + Wicker Park hipsters = press.

Again: the Best Falafel I've had in the area: Grape Leaves Cafe in Oak Park. Even tastes great COLD. Now who else can say that? Their other food is average, but the falafel alone buoys the oft-disappointing shawarma.

I'll have to go to Taste of Lebanon, A****w.

I'll have to go to Taste of Lebanon, A****w.

yes, do. Try the veggie combo plate!

See, to me, falafel should be crunchy.... not a soggy mess. Thats the key.

• if you like chicken this spot on chicago ave called "feed" is the jumpoff. the sides are rediculously good. fried okra and mashed potatoes all the way.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    if you like chicken this spot on chicago ave called "feed" is the jumpoff. the sides are rediculously good. fried okra and mashed potatoes all the way.
    i live off chicago. how far west?

• if you like chicken this spot on chicago ave called "feed" is the jumpoff. the sides are rediculously good. fried okra and mashed potatoes all the way.
    i live off chicago. how far west?

its 2803 chicago ave. I think at the corner by california and chicago. Its really good and cheap too.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Wed. night at Sonotheque (1444 w. chicago) is reggae, Funky Buddha Lounge on Grand is 90s hip-hop, Tommie Sunshine is @ 'debonair social club' which is some new place at the 6 corners. and kid koala is at the abbey pub