anyone know who owns King Records now?

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I want to contact them about possibly including a JB album cover in a publication.. Anybody?I ain't never done this type of thing before, so any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I want to contact them about possibly including a JB album cover in a publication..

Anybody?

I ain't never done this type of thing before, so any help is much appreciated.

Just use the JB LP cover in the publication and put "Image courtesy of King Records." I'm sure that will be fine.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    I want to contact them about possibly including a JB album cover in a publication..

Anybody?

I ain't never done this type of thing before, so any help is much appreciated.

Just use the JB LP cover in the publication and put "Image courtesy of King Records." I'm sure that will be fine.
    co-:scion:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    but didnt Polydor buy all of James' King output/productions in the early 70s? shouldnt it be "courtesy of Polydor"? not wanting to make things confusing, but I dont think King owns any of that stuff anymore...

• No shit? You don't need to seek permission first?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    No shit? You don't need to seek permission first?

Are you putting the image in Time magazine or a magazine with a LARGE circulation? If not, I would not worry about it.

• No shit? You don't need to seek permission first?

Are you putting the image in Time magazine or a magazine with a LARGE circulation? If not, I would not worry about it.

It'll be a book.. So I think I will definitely have to seek permission. I guess I need to contact Polydor.

• actually i think the official lineage is polydor bought his masters/rights then it went to polygram now universal owns everting undah the sun. it all leads back to universal.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Not to confuse anybody, but Polydor doesn't "own" JB's masters any more than King did. James Brown owns James Brown's masters. He just licenses them out to different labels. Any credit would have to go directly to him, or his people.