Toronto Original Superstars of Jazz Fusion show..

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=11351Anyone headed? tickets are still on sale, and i'd say a really decent price to catch these acts...I thought it would be way more, but i guess they reduced the price to sell more tix. and best of all its at the phoenix, one of the nice sounding venues, and sweet atmosphere to catch a live act.cant wait!

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Anyone going tomorrow? I'm gonna try and make it. Not sure yet if I can.

Here's something to blow your mind tho. I remember the first time I heard Gilles drop this.

Masters At Work - Our Time Is Coming (Jazzanova Remix)

Yeah, I know.. BLAH house... But shit is

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Im gunna try and make it out. Tickets are dirt cheap now, enter the promo "ayers 2006" in ticketmaster and get them for $20!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    sounds like a very desperate last ditch attempt to break even? I hope it's not cancelled once again.

I will be going....

Im gunna try and make it out. Tickets are dirt cheap now, enter the promo "ayers 2006" in ticketmaster and get them for $20!

Shit.. Thx Heaps! Just picked up 2. I'll be there I hope.

Fucking $10.25 in service charges. If the tickets weren't discounted, I would have never bought from those fuckers.

Who went?

Lastnight was

Tho, it wasn't as much "Jazz Fusion" as I was hoping for.

And Roy didn't perform as much as I would have liked.

And Everybody Loves The Sunshine twice wasn't the best of looks.

But it was still pretty dope. Jon Lucien seemed a lil out of place. But still had some moments.

The part at the end with Wayne Henderson saying "Just the people from Toronto" and Jon still singing was pretty damn funny. I wonder if that was planned.

Anyways. I still had a great time. Good to see The Phoenix pretty packed and most people getting down in one form or the other.

Anyone take pics?

• wht songs did jon lucien do?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I was there.

Came in during Bobbi Humphrey doing that Lionel Richie cover and killing it!

The performances were really damn good by everyone I saw , Jean Carne was cool but that dude that came out with her?

Ronnie Laws is a fucking MONSTER! He was the highlight for me.. Jon Lucien was great too , I wish they gave him more shine during the encore though!

Their drummer was ridiculous as well , I liked what Roy did for the most part, but I agree he should have been featured a bit more. I guess with so many acts it is hard to split the time evenly. It was hard to tell whether that part was rehearsed when Jon was still singing and Wayne Henderson was like 'BE COOL! BE COOL MAN!' while spit flew from his mouth, that was funny.

I brought copies of 'Everybody Loves the Sunshine' and 'Expansions' and got them both signed which was Dope.

On a soulstrut related note, the copy of Everybody Loves the sunshine that i brought is the same copy that Danno gave me for FREE at a record show! thanks again dude!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    jon lucien was FIYAAAAH, only an old black dude can get away w/ rocking a firehouse red double breasted jacket. Alas, it will never be for me. DUDE is a [borat]pussy magnet[/borat] with that cover of Dindi! Wayne Henderson busting them old man laaaaps was great too.

lowlight, perhaps hearing Bobbi Humphrey sing "It's the REMIX, 0 SIX" to "Harlem River Drive". Also waiting for my friend outside caused me to miss Lonnie Liston Smith, very NAY-GLE.

I felt bad for all the friends I ran into who paid $51.50 + service charge all the way back in May. I think the true fans kinda got dicked over for this one.

I brought my slr and took a bunch of pics, they'll be up in a bit.

ah nice you managed to weasle your way to the back and got stuff signed. w00t w00t!

The performances were really damn good by everyone I saw , Jean Carne was cool but that dude that came out with her?

Yes... Crazy she rolls with him

Ronnie Laws is a fucking MONSTER!

No doubt

Their drummer was ridiculous as well

That dude was insane...........

lowlight, perhaps hearing Bobbi Humphrey sing "It's the REMIX, 0 SIX" to "Harlem River Drive".

yea i forgot to mention that. Not feeling that lyric at all. jon and roy seemed unsure of when she was going to bust that part , a couple times they were about to sing 'Harlem River Drive' again but she came in with that "RMX" lyric. I think she was trying to appeal to the younger generation with that one, but it definitely did not work.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i loved how happy and pumped Bobbi was to be there, i was in a trance with that hello shit...it was a great night.

yeah that dude with Jean though...he looked like a graemlin waiting to happen.

it was a good crowd too, all over the place.

ps: godamn the drummer!

yeah that dude with Jean though...he looked like a graemlin waiting to happen.

and the fact that she said he had been singing with her in toronto since 1986!!

woah.

he must have been 14 then??

Jean killed it on "sunshine" though... although I will admit I was slightly frightened of her for some reason.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    didn't make it out, wish I could have made it out, but had a midterm today that needed to be studied for. The reviews sound awesome, jealous of you guys. Whats the record that you grabbed and got signed?

Aser,

Where R the pics???

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

On a soulstrut related note, the copy of Everybody Loves the sunshine that i brought is the same copy that Danno gave me for FREE at a record show! thanks again dude!

It's very cool that you got it signed. I'm glad you gave it a good home.

• i came late during Lucien's set.
    wayne henderson's zebra apron was pure "fusion".
    ronnie laws doing "friends & strangers". boing!
    jean carne was on the prowl! "don't let it go to your head"???!!!!!!
    yeah, the everybody loves... x 2, was odd. i wanted to hear D.C city.

got in for free, so i was pleasently satisfied.

anyone who kept their refunded tickets could have used them at the door. no probs.

>>