Eighties Ladies info.

AaronAaron 977 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
What's the deal with this group? Sylvia Striplin a group member and produced by Royers. Rare too, I've heard. Are there any 12"s?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Royers!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    They have two 12"s that I know of, "Ladies Of The Eighties" and "Turned On To You", both dope. Their LP is tough to find, and very worth it.

Everything on unomelodic rocks my world

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The LP has been re-issued on vinyl and CD. I think the original was on Uno Melodic. OK disco joints, but I would not spend a lot of time trying to track down an OG.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Everything on unomelodic rocks my world

No doubt.

The LP has been re-issued on vinyl and CD. I think the original was on Uno Melodic. OK disco joints, but I would not spend a lot of time trying to track down an OG.

YOUR MODERN SOUL LOVING ASS NEEDS TO BOW DOWN TO THE ROYERS REALNESS!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

JP, I am a BIG Roy Ayers fan and enjoy his productions, but I'm just not that crazy about this LP. I'm listening to the Eighties Ladies LP right now. "He is mine forever" is a cool slow joint that has a heavy Roy vibe too it and "Turned on to you " is a dope song with nice horns and percussion. The rest of the LP is pretty standard disco for that era and never really impressed me.

• NewLifeTrioNewLifeTrio 271 Posts
    The track "turned onto you" is sublime.

• On a semi-related note, how can I tell if my Ethel Beatty 12" is a reissue or not? It's on a red label.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

The slow cuts are real dope on there. Could even be called "modern soul". I like the Striplin better as a album though.

The red label is legit, but as for etching #s I don't know... I'd go with the tried and true, jacket smell, density of marks, overall look/weight of the vinyl... I don't think there's a reissue of it but I might be wrong

• Hmmm, yeah. I think it must be the real thing. I'm feeling that "I Know You Care".

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Is that Ethel Beatty track It's Your Love?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    empty streets is my joint right now

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    The LP has been re-issued on vinyl and CD.

OK, I can't seem to find this anywhere after looking. Have you seen it online?

• Everything on unomelodic rocks my world

No doubt.

Except for "Cash Money" (Roy Ayers).. that one pretty much sucks.

• Is that Ethel Beatty track It's Your Love?

That's the b-side to the one I have. Dope tune. You can really hear Roy Ayers up in that mug.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    What's the deal with this group? Sylvia Striplin a group member and produced by Royers. Rare too, I've heard. Are there any 12"s?

Thanks in advance.

Turned on to you was re-issued last year on Smith & Co, see here:

http://www.smithco.nl/html/body_vinyl.html

...so if you're not a snob and just want the track on a decent sounding cheap pressing, there you go...

• Is that Ethel Beatty track It's Your Love?

That's the b-side to the one I have. Dope tune. You can really hear Roy Ayers up in that mug.

I have the bootleg. I'll look when I get home and let you know any identifiers.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    The comp "Uno Melodic Story" has all the classic cuts.

Sylvia Striplin - You Can`t Turn Me Away
    Roy Ayers - Everybody
    Ethel Beatty - I Know You Care
    Eighties Ladies - Turned On To You
    Rick Holmes - Remember To Remember
    Bobbi Humphrey - Baby Don`t You Know
    Sylvia Striplin - You Said
    Ethel Beatty - It`s Your Love
    Eighties Ladies - He Is Mine Forever
    Roy Ayers - Juice
    Justo Almario - Interlude
    Sylvia Striplin - All Alone
    Jaymz - Bedford - Just Keep My Boogie

"Just Keep My Boogie" is a real good tune that haven't heard anyone mention.

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/508.html

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    How's the sound quality on that particular Charly CD? I've been extremely unimpressed with the horrible sound quality of 99% of their Curtom reissues.

SG

The comp "Uno Melodic Story" has all the classic cuts.

Sylvia Striplin - You Can`t Turn Me Away
    Roy Ayers - Everybody
    Ethel Beatty - I Know You Care
    Eighties Ladies - Turned On To You
    Rick Holmes - Remember To Remember
    Bobbi Humphrey - Baby Don`t You Know
    Sylvia Striplin - You Said
    Ethel Beatty - It`s Your Love
    Eighties Ladies - He Is Mine Forever
    Roy Ayers - Juice
    Justo Almario - Interlude
    Sylvia Striplin - All Alone
    Jaymz - Bedford - Just Keep My Boogie

"Just Keep My Boogie" is a real good tune that haven't heard anyone mention.

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/508.html

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    anyone got audio of ethel beatty OR justo almario??

need to hear those still. can't seem to turn those shits up....

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    JP, I am a BIG Roy Ayers fan and enjoy his productions, but I'm just not that crazy about this LP. I'm listening to the Eighties Ladies LP right now. "He is mine forever" is a cool slow joint that has a heavy Roy vibe

Yeah, Chan... "He Is Mine Forever" is the only thing I really play on that album. But for me it's worth it just for that (gotta admit I only have the re, though... I'd cop an OG if I caught it fairly cheap, but if it was going for anywhere near three figures I'd have to pass).