PIMPED PORTABLE RECORD PLAYERS

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Ive seen some cool pimped Portable players before like the Big Bird player with homemade headphone jacks and slipmats to spraypainted portables but this weekend I was up in Fremont Ca in Rasputiants and saw the dude with a regular Sony record player straight from a home audio set up and I asked him did you put in the head phone jack and he was like yeah then I checked for a plug but it didn't have any so I asked dude is it battery operated and he says "yeah I hooked it up to use a 9-volt battery, the sound isn't that great but it works".... I was like man why couldn't columbia or numark use a 9-volt??? Crazy I'm sure this isn't amazing for the electronic savey but for me it was nice to see though I would rather use my columbia with a 9-volt.... What else has any of ya all seen out there with portables or should there be a Soulstrut Pimp your Portable contest???

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I don't have any good stories here but I do want to tinker with a couple of mine. I wanna cut the plastic body down on one player I own to reduce size and another I want to add a headphone jack.

Anyone ever do anything like this before and have some pointers?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I wanna cut the plastic body down on one player

It would be cool to do a custom job & get some fiberglass resin & modify the casing. Then, you can paint it to look pimped out.

• my gp-3 was painted by this dude engine. he painted a "totoro the bandito" its totoro with a mask and loot bag or something. its pretty cool. there's also some stickers and stuff on it including a sticky polaroid photo of me singing karaoke. i dont know if that qualifies as PIMP but i sure like it!

• Ive seen some cool pimped Portable players before like the Big Bird player with homemade headphone jacks and slipmats to spraypainted portables but this weekend I was up in Fremont Ca in Rasputiants and saw the dude with a regular Sony record player straight from a home audio set up and I asked him did you put in the head phone jack and he was like yeah then I checked for a plug but it didn't have any so I asked dude is it battery operated and he says "yeah I hooked it up to use a 9-volt battery, the sound isn't that great but it works".... I was like man why couldn't columbia or numark use a 9-volt??? Crazy I'm sure this isn't amazing for the electronic savey but for me it was nice to see though I would rather use my columbia with a 9-volt.... What else has any of ya all seen out there with portables or should there be a Soulstrut Pimp your Portable contest???

FAKED PIMPED PORTABLE FINDS!!!! THERE IS NO RASPUTINS IN FREMONT

• Been thinking about converting the old snake skin:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I might be able to replace my Numark's casing with that baby (minus the speakers).

• I kind of tweeked my GP-3B for more conveniance:

OK, I live in germany, where we have 230 volts current unfortunately the columbia player only supports 110 volts, so I ripped out the whole current transformer unit out of it.
    Done a little welding and now I operate with batteries only, but saved a fair bit of weight while carrying it around.

Playa Slayer - GORE!

SC

• FAKED PIMPED PORTABLE FINDS!!!! THERE IS NO RASPUTINS IN FREMONT
    Actually there is but only a few heads know about this spot you have to know the owner....

Nah that would be ill though, actually your right not Fremont, Newark across the Mall there... Sorry not from the area I had gone to a ball that day and on the invite it said Hilton Hotel in Fremont/Newark... Now that place had the cheapest bins ever 30 records for $10 so much crud to sift threw though, I did manage to pick up 30 in about 15-20min.... Wifey was flipin out cause she needed the hair straightner in the fan but it was all good when I got back an told here that portable story!

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Great topic. I'm still looking for this player on the cheap:

Definitely the coolest portable in my book. And it would look great if you replace the leather with a nice pimped fabric.

• BTW...That Rasputins.......houses all of the PICKED records.

They sort them and send the "Good" ones to other stores.

Whats left goes into the massive bins in newark.

A bit of info from giant dude behind counter.

• BTW...That Rasputins.......houses all of the PICKED records.

Yeah I would hope that was the case, though I did find some drum breaks and so fresh international stuff though I'm sure they where listened to because all the stuff that looked good was all together... Wish I had more time to go through all the crud though I love looking at trashy records you never no what kind of gems you can find though...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    BTW...That Rasputins.......houses all of the PICKED records.

Yeah I would hope that was the case, though I did find some drum breaks and so fresh international stuff though I'm sure they where listened to because all the stuff that looked good was all together... Wish I had more time to go through all the crud though I love looking at trashy records you never no what kind of gems you can find though...

Yeah, I was at that Rasputin's last week and found some decent stuff, including an "Ain't No Half Steppin' 12-inch. You have to slog through a ridiculous amount of crap, but there are OK records to be found. And at 50 cents a pop, I have no problem doing things like buying a record for one good snare sound.

• WOW an Ain't no 1/2 Steppin NICE FIND FO SHO! Remix???

• FAKED PIMPED PORTABLE FINDS!!!! THERE IS NO RASPUTINS IN FREMONT
    Actually there is but only a few heads know about this spot you have to know the owner....

Nah that would be ill though, actually your right not Fremont, Newark across the Mall there... Sorry not from the area I had gone to a ball that day and on the invite it said Hilton Hotel in Fremont/Newark... Now that place had the cheapest bins ever 30 records for $10 so much crud to sift threw though, I did manage to pick up 30 in about 15-20min.... Wifey was flipin out cause she needed the hair straightner in the fan but it was all good when I got back an told here that portable story!
    Actually that's really funny because I thought maybe you were talking about the one in San Lorenzo, which is a little bit further up the freeway. I somehow didn't realize there was one in Newark, so the jokes on me. Did they have any 45's at that one? I asked about 45's in San Lorenzo and the cashier looked at me like I had a third eye.