a question for those that understand electricity

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
i need a fuse for my mpc 60the fuse that was in there was a 125v 3.15a fusei cannot locate any of those in miamii can however find plenty of 250v 3.15a fusesfound this on wikipedia but i dont quite understand:"Fuses carrying a 250 V rating can be safely used in a 125 V circuit, but the reverse is not true as the fuse may not be capable of safely interrupting the arc in a circuit of a higher voltage."please help

Comments

• I am far from an electrician, but i know a lil bit. I believe that this means the 250v fuse will work, because it is the same ampere rating when it cuts, however the inverse wont work because the 125v fuse may not be capable of stopping 250v worth of juice from arcing the fuse. if i recall correctly, the voltage is akin to how much power is availible (like a small creek or a river) , the amp rating is how much of that you can use? ( like a faucet or a firehose)

plaese to correct me if im wrong strut massive, im not trying to break his mpc,

peace

• when you deal with high voltages, you can experience an effect known as arcing when you break a circuit. arcing occurs because the remaining electricity in the line when the circuit was closed now cannot go anywhere and needs to asap. the electricity can therefore 'jump' to the most convenient place (i'm sure you can find some crazy footage). for example, if you fed a high voltage line into your mpc even when the fuse was blown, it would be possible that the voltage would arc over the fuse and damage your mpc. i believe arcing is reserved to 600v and up and would therefore never occur at the consumer voltage levels. imo, and i'm no electrician, the 250 v should be no absolutely problem.

oh, and try http://digikey.com/ for anything electrical.
    make sure you get the right size/material/type fuse as well.

• crazy shit:

• mmm the 60 hz hum....