Rumsfeld stepping down?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Fox News just reported thisno internet article to reference just yet but ITS BOUT DAMN TIME!

Comments

• don;t let the doorknob hit you on the ass on the way out rummy...

• Pinch me I must be fucking dreaming.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    wow, that was quick.

this is 'falling on your sword' in the classic fashion.

---

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    this is 'falling on your sword' is the classic fashion.

---

Albeit a few years late!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Day late and dollar short on this one.

It amazes me that they would do this after the election. You'd think if they did this earlier it might have saved them a few seats.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    It amazes me that they would do this after the election. You'd think if they did this earlier it might have saved them a few seats.

That would've given the impression that the Bush Administration wouldn't "stay the course", which the Dems would've had a field day with.

"this isn't my first rodeo"

bush is sounding completely right now.

---

• "this isn't my first rodeo"

bush is sounding completely right now.

---

yeah, he is really bad off the cuff, but today is...uggh.

• It amazes me that they would do this after the election. You'd think if they did this earlier it might have saved them a few seats.

That would've given the impression that the Bush Administration wouldn't "stay the course", which the Dems would've had a field day with.

Dude, didn't you hear? "Stay the Course" was never a strategy. These guys don't "flip fliop".

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/23/bartlett-stay-the-course/

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/22/bush-stay-the-course/

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its over in iraq,they don't need rummy anymore

look at it like the mean white guys at the pentagon:

'we have this big ass world dominating military power.
    if you don't use it once in awhile it gets rusty.
    who cares if we loose 3000 civilians in the wtc or 3000 grunts in iraq.

that is a drop in the bucket compared to 50,000 dead US soldiers in Vietnam.
    Notice how they don't even mention iraqi civillian casualties at all.

Back in the wings of annapolis or west point there is another ivy bred right wing automaton headed for the pentagon who is younger ,faster and more adaptable than Don

now it's iran's turn

I don't think iran has anything to worry about.

they got all the cards in this poker game.

---

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "You did a heck of a job Rummsie"

whether or not you agree with 'the war' philosophically is one thing.

rumsfeld fucked it up strategically

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    What was a 74 year old, out of touch, close minded, grumpy old man doing running the military anyhow??????

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Rumsfeld is going to be replaced by Robert Gates, former CIA director under his dad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/08/AR2006110801180_pf.html

This is a marked change by the Bush administration away from the neoconservatives, which there are still some working in the White House, towards the Republican establishment who are known as Realists in foreign policy. There were already signs of this shift when Bush put James Baker, another of his father's top foreign policy advisers, in charge of the Iraq Study Group.

The neoconservatives were an ideological group that came to power with the 1st administration of Bush. They believed that what happened within countries was just as important as what happened between countries. They also believed that the U.S. should use its military force to promote democracy and humanitarian efforts in the world. They were one of the main forces promoting the invasion of Iraq. Cheney is not a neoconservative but he has basically taken up their view of the world.

Realism has been the traditional foreign policy view of America for most administrations. They believe that the pursuit of power is the most important thing in foreign policy and that whatever maintains or promotes the country's power is most important.

So for example, Saddam was okay to work with in the Iran-Iraq war even though he was a dictator because the Realists saw Iran and their Islamic Revolution as a threat to American interests in the Middle East. Later, they were generally opposed to the Iraq war because they thought Saddam was contained by sanctions and two no fly zones. To the neoconservatives, the U.S. should have never worked with Iraq because Saddam was a brutal dictator who killed many of his own people and was a threat to the region, and they felt the U.S. screwed up by not taking him out after the 1991 Gulf War.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I should also add that as long as Cheney remains Vice President, there will always be opposition to the work of the Realists like Gates and Rice who is now the Sec. of State. All the papers within the administration that deal with foreign policy and intelligence go through Cheney's office, and he and his aids have always undercut and gone around people in Bush's administration they didn't agree with. Cheney will not have as much influence as he once had however, because his main ally, Rumsfeld is now gone.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I should also add that as long as Cheney remains Vice President, there will always be opposition to the work of the Realists like Gates and Rice who is now the Sec. of State. All the papers within the administration that deal with foreign policy and intelligence go through Cheney's office, and he and his aids have always undercut and gone around people in Bush's administration they didn't agree with. Cheney will not have as much influence as he once had however, because his main ally, Rumsfeld is now gone.

Rice only cares about curring favor with the powerful. I don't believe she has any strong held views on anything. Rice and curry.

• Time to get back to work on those verses of his.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    fucking piece of shit

i hope he dies slow miserable death

• he will die a slow comfortable death. he is a millionaire and has a totally clear concience.