Weekday FFFINDS

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• here are some finds/purchases from the last week or so. Big thanks goes to fellow strutters Belson, and Johnny Paycheck

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    New York City - "I'm doing fine" on Chelsea Records.

Look, I don't care if this is a common terd over there. It has afros on the cover and I never find afros on covers over here.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That record is hardly a terd - and it's "RAJ-APPROVED" too!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    That record is hardly a terd - and it's "RAJ-APPROVED" too!

holy shit, not a single afro. Good outfits though

• here are a couple more:
    thanks to scrappington for these. They haven't arrived yet, but I've photoshopped what they will look like floating above my hardwood floors. Enjoy
    and here are some others I got recently that haven't arrived yet but I'm looking foward to seeing/hearing them as well.
    Victor Uwaifo -- safari soundz

Orchestre Stukas

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

how's that pyramids record? i used to have their other one, or one of their others, but traded it.

• how's that pyramids record? i used to have their other one, or one of their others, but traded it.
    it's frikin ridiculously good. Almost as good as "Lilabella" or whatever it's called. I haven't heard the other one (BIRTH SPEED MERGING) But "King of kings" is an amazing soul/free jazz session.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    yeah i had birth speed merging. had some cool parts but overall wasn't that into it. kind of regret trading it now but oh well.

king if kings is a bill piece isn't it?

• a bit over a bill. Pales in comparrison to Lilabella. If on ebay should get you 2 bills AT LEAST.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    2-5 dollar finds:

Ebay Scores:

• leaf hound in my mailbox, the rest doubles from out in the field

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    10cents

uber garage 45 out of sacramento, ca.

now if i can just get in contact with wickham...

• a bit over a bill. Pales in comparrison to Lilabella. If on ebay should get you 2 bills AT LEAST.

I don't know about "pales in comparison", they're all pretty good.

"Birth speed merging" is the cheapest by far. "Lalibela" is quite rare, I had to pull some online moves to get one

I don't know about "pales in comparison", they're all pretty good.

oh no doubt. I was talking price wise.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    here are some finds/purchases from the last week or so. Big thanks goes to fellow strutters Belson, and Johnny Paycheck

Is that Leslie Butler "Ganja" lp the same as his "Ja-Gan" lp on UK Trojan? It has the same illustration
    on the cover so I'm assuming it is. If so that's a sick record!

• Is that Leslie Butler "Ganja" lp the same as his "Ja-Gan" lp on UK Trojan? It has the same illustration

I'm guessing no. The photo is a bit different and so is the tracklisting. The one I have is on the Ja label Roosevelt and Ja-Gan is on Trojan. Mine is up for trade if anyone is interested. Just roots instrumentals including one for the staples "i'll take you there." Not quite my cup of tea.

• today i got my vote on, and then back to the rap connection who had some 'leftover' boxes to go thru. just as bountiful as the previous 2 times, there were just less to look at. then off to a different guys garage for other jazz/rock type findings. highlights follow.

^^^ Dr Dre you so sexy

^^^ those rinkys on the marva are way lighter than the flash makes em look, it sounds awesome.

^^^

^^^ the above pic are trade possibilities. the yellow ones are both mint promos of Scarfaces The Fix album. the JBs is super clean.

happy (hopefully) more balanced gov't day!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Is that Leslie Butler "Ganja" lp the same as his "Ja-Gan" lp on UK Trojan? It has the same illustration

I'm guessing no. The photo is a bit different and so is the tracklisting. The one I have is on the Ja label Roosevelt and Ja-Gan is on Trojan. Mine is up for trade if anyone is interested. Just roots instrumentals including one for the staples "i'll take you there." Not quite my cup of tea.

Thanks I did some more looking around on the web and found out they were 2 completely
    different lps.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Ebay Scores:

JR OG?

• Damn, Absolutely free for 2$? Lovin it.

- J

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    Ebay Scores:

JR OG?

Naw, reish.

• yo, what's this "Puerto Rican Riot" all about?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Got this today. Don't know anything about it but yunno...

I'll come running is one of my favorite songs. Great 60s pop.

from allmusic:

Gene & Debbe, also known as Gene Thomas and Debbe Neville (some sources spell it Nevills), were a country-pop duo who enjoyed a short string of successes during 1967 and 1968. Thomas (born December 28, 1938), from Palestine, TX, had enjoyed some modest success on his own with a 1961 hit single called "Sometime," on the Venus and United Artists labels, then disappeared from the charts until two years later when he scored a minor hit with the Bobby Goldsboro/Roy Orbison song "Baby's Gone." By the end of 1963, he'd given up singing, however, and had gone to work as a songwriter for Acuff-Rose publishers, where he spent the next couple of years. In 1965, he crossed paths with Debbe Neville (or Nevills), a big-voiced aspirant who was trying to launch a singing career in Nashville, and he began writing songs that were suited to the two of them. Together, singing softly, they harmonized a bit like the Everly Brothers and each was appealing separately as well. Their combined voices were ideally suited to romantic, country-flavored ballads similar to what Glen Campbell was burning up the charts with in 1967-1968. They were impressive enough to Thomas' bosses at Acuff-Rose to get the pair signed to an imprint of the company's Hickory Records label, TRX Records, which also recorded such acts as the Newbeats. With Don Gant producing and Thomas turning in a string of originals, Gene & Debbe delivered songs such as "Rings of Gold," which recalled Jackie DeShannon's work, and the folk-rockish "Go With Me," which contained a chord sequence and a guitar part reminiscent of "Love Is Strange." The latter single became a minor pop chart entry and their first success, late in 1967. A few months later, in early 1968, the duo scored their biggest hit of with "Playboy," which made number 17 on the pop charts. They later scored a minor chart entry with "Lovin' Season," which marked the end of their successes, in mid-1968. They continued recording together into the following year and released an LP entitled Hear and Now before calling it quits in the second half of 1969. Thomas returned to the life of a staff songwriter while Neville proceeded to try and establish herself as a solo act.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

All from one spot today, except the Sweet & Innocent re, which
    I got in the mail last week, and you should, too.

• Bought 4 copies of this (A$15each)
    Described as
    " Gentle, quiet and magical acid lp with Indian instruments. Actually no sitar, but sarod, tabla, pakhawaj, tanpura. Also electric viola, flute, 12 string guitar and didgiridu. Male and female vocals. 4 long tracks. Naturally I have to mention a similarity to Extradition & Tully ! " on popsike
    but should be good resale value (A$100) the guy in the record store told me one of the members of the band has a boxful of them and brings them in in dribs and drabs. I will make further enquiries.

Also picked up
    Superfly OSt
    Superfly TNT OST
    Prince- For you ( his 1st lp)
    Ann Peebles- The writings on the Wall
    Cal Tjader- Live at grace cathedral (awesome lp)
    Eno-Music for films,airports,the pearl
    Kraftwerk-Computerwelt
    T connection Self titled
    Sly and the family stone small talk
    chris williams - disco king (aussie disco record)
    daley wilson featuring Kerry Biddell

• fsns:

les mccann - talk to the people is not a rare record at all, but its still one my favourite records, love the sound of the whole record.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    having a well known fondness for private press school records
    led to an invite to dig thru a recently purchased collection
    of samples by a former sw mo rep for
    American Artists Custom Records
    scored by the gateway city's #1 vinyl shop
    mostly gospel, but a great deal of school stuff
    had to open most to cipher the trax
    picked 20 with jazzy, funky or rock looking moves

and the standout winner so far

a baptist college rocking out on "Psycodelphia" ?!?

also in the mail from Atlanta's super thoughtful Ted Ross

he knows i likee

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    SOI:
    How is Z for Zafra? I have a sealed copy and have debated opening it.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    SOI:
    How is Z for Zafra? I have a sealed copy and have debated opening it.

great record. one killer tune on the B side the title of which escapes me.
    by opening it, however, you may deplete the value by $3.99

• Little Roy - Hard Fighter (Syndicate)

Keith - Please Stay (Gas)

Prince Buster - Free Love (Blank)

Paragons - Riding High On A Windy Day (Blank)

Soundclip : http://www.yousendit.com/download/LFObu8rIoxM%3D