"DRM is f*cked"

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/"Peter Jenner, former manager of bands like Pink Floyd, T.Rex and the Clash, states in an interview with the Register that music label executives have lost faith in DRM and dollar-per-track online music selling isn't working too well as a model. He predicts that in two to three years time, many countries will have moved to a blanket licensing regime."

Comments

• Also,

"There are intangible things about physical music we're only just discovering we value. I'll tell you something. Have you noticed that digital people are pretty twitchy people. Recently I was reunited with all my old vinyl and it's much more sociable than running it off a computer or an iPod. People appreciate each other's company more, and appreciate the music more - we grow more patience and it's lovely. The tyranny of the playlist, of interactivity is horrible - it's a curse."

• while i agree that drm is garbage and not doing very much good, its never going away. can you imagine a situation where every software product in the world is open source? probably not - so why would intellectual property be completely free or based on the honour system of buy and don't share.

the issue has always been convenience with formats. spare me all the fidelity crap and the tangible good aspects that very few people care about, aside from people on the strut and kids under 15 who like to collect anything. there was a logical progression from vinyl > 8 track> tape > cd > mp3. it's all about fitting as much as you can on as little as you can, and this will never go away. no matter how many industry people or audiophiles want to revert to tangible music, it doesn't make sense from the general population's p.o.v.

much to your dismay, your mom and aunt will never repurchase their old barbara streisand records because 'it just sounds better' or it's 'more social'.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the general population will buy anything that is advertised enough.

• the issue has always been convenience with formats. spare me all the fidelity crap and the tangible good aspects that very few people care about, aside from people on the strut and kids under 15 who like to collect anything. there was a logical progression from vinyl > 8 track> tape > cd > mp3. it's all about fitting as much as you can on as little as you can, and this will never go away. no matter how many industry people or audiophiles want to revert to tangible music, it doesn't make sense from the general population's p.o.v.

Well, the interview waxed a little poetic on the point of vinyl, but his point was subscription-based was the way to go. The smaller labels will be less impacted by this, because (as we all know) record/CD sales industry has artificially inflated record/CD price by hiding behind production costs. It's not a sustainable model, DRM or no DRM.

much to your dismay, your mom and aunt will never repurchase their old barbara streisand records because 'it just sounds better' or it's 'more social'.

This much is true!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Great point, maybe there is a middle ground somewhere, somehow.

Someday.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

The world's smallest violin plays for the music industry.