New DJ Premier Mixtape (Microwave Ownage Related!)

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, Primo has come around (it was only a matter of time) but what struck me was how Mr. Cee is positing this new paradigm. It's not that real DJs own Gang Starr records; it's that they have "Take It Personal" loaded into their playlists. As someone who just did some small research on the impact of digital DJing, Mr. Cee's comments were like some incredible gift.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Not really sure what the nature of your research is, but this might interest you:

After G$MONEY plays "Gypsy Woman" off his itunes to start the "battle," Mr. Cee says "You gotta respect a dude that got those type of records."

Itunes battle?!?! They need to step their game up and start youtube battling.

I have no idea what's happening in this "battle".

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Really? Looks like a terribly edited itunes-soundclash to me. What's confusing?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

soulstrut was doing that way back when with the itunes reggae clash.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

soulstrut was doing that way back when with the itunes reggae clash.
    Yup. Once again we are years ahead of the curve.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Yeah, Primo has come around (it was only a matter of time) but what struck me was how Mr. Cee is positing this new paradigm. It's not that real DJs own Gang Starr records; it's that they have "Take It Personal" loaded into their playlists. As someone who just did some small research on the impact of digital DJing, Mr. Cee's comments were like some incredible gift.

I think that the full context was that some DJs were hittin' him up for Gang Starr mp3s, which prompted him to say that when he went digital a few years ago, the first thing he did was rip his Gang Starr records. Then he said, "How can you call yourself a hip-hop DJ if you don't have Gang Starr on your laptop?"

Slightly different than your implication that real heads would hit iTunes with a crisp 20 and pop (ID3) tags.

I think that the full context was that some DJs were hittin' him up for Gang Starr mp3s, which prompted him to say that when he went digital a few years ago, the first thing he did was rip his Gang Starr records. Then he said, "How can you call yourself a hip-hop DJ if you don't have Gang Starr on your laptop?"

Slightly different than your implication that real heads would hit iTunes with a crisp 20 and pop (ID3) tags.

That wasn't my implication. It's simpler; I just liked how Cee sets up digitizing your vinyl and turning your crate virtual as normative.