One Be Lo...antisemitism

djxanderdjxander 16 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I emailed this dude about a week ago about his subtle antisemitism throughout his record. Most of his record is positive Muslim stuff which i respect a lot, but then he has these anti-semitic drops here and there. The thing is, this guy is all about positivity and making music to positively influence the youth. If you check out his interview on www.soundslam.com, he talks about keepin hip hop real and influencing kids to do good deeds instead of becoming gangsters, so it REALLY threw me off when I was listening to his album (which, all thinkgs considered, I do like) he has these subtle notes of Jewish hate/resentment.I wrote this dude an email that I have much respect for him and that we're both working towards very similar ends. As a Hip Hop Congress chapterhead, I'm all about positivity and positive social impact through hip hop. I expressed my respect for muslims - Hell, I helped get Brother Ali over here in February (it was mostly the doing of my man Aaron, but I'd like to think I helped). I just asked him why he would want to create antisemites of the young kids he intends to influence. I asked him why he wanted to create more hate for a subgroup of the Hip Hop community. Edan, DJ A-Track, Beastie Boys, Aesop Rock (i think), plenty of others I'm sure are all Jews and they're keeping shit as real as anyone else.I told him that thinking that all Jews are like Rupert Murdock is as fair of a stereotype as thinking all Muslims are Osama. I try to break down all those stereotypes whenever I can, not just the ones directed to my demographic group.Guy never responded to me, though. Wanted to share that with you folks.Feel free to discuss.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i thought his binary star stuff was pretty dope. Your post has given me no interest whatsoever to check his new album.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Hip Hop Congress chapterhead

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    As a Hip Hop Congress chapterhead

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Hip Hop Congress chapterhead
    HA

• djxanderdjxander 16 Posts
    No, please check it out.

I'm not a hater. The man has tallent, I have respect for him. Honestly, its just a really hypocritical behavior for someone who wants to "keep shit real" (i.e. not hattin) and "positive" (i.e. not hattin). I really wished my email would have made a positive impact, because I think he both has a good attitude & solid skills, but I don't think he'll ever full actualize his goals of "positively influencing the youth" with his toned down antisemitism.

In the soundslam interview, he says "I'm a bridge. Between old & new. Between hip hop heads and punk rock heads. Between.... etc." I wrote him that email and I told him, "I'm offering you a bridge," but I guess he didn't take it (or he didn't feel the need to reply)

it just disapointing, really.

BTW - He cites Wu-Tang as his influences all the time... they made a song called "Never Again"....

• djxanderdjxander 16 Posts
    Ummm... not sure what that means, but here you go - www.hiphopcongress.com

Its the third largest worldwide hip hop organization after Russel Simons' Hip Hop Action Summit & KRS-ONE's Temple of Hip Hop.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I emailed this dude about a week ago about his subtle antisemitism throughout his record. Most of his record is positive Muslim stuff which i respect a lot, but then he has these anti-semitic drops here and there. The thing is, this guy is all about positivity and making music to positively influence the youth. If you check out his interview on www.soundslam.com, he talks about keepin hip hop real and influencing kids to do good deeds instead of becoming gangsters, so it REALLY threw me off when I was listening to his album (which, all thinkgs considered, I do like) he has these subtle notes of Jewish hate/resentment.

I wrote this dude an email that I have much respect for him and that we're both working towards very similar ends. As a Hip Hop Congress chapterhead, I'm all about positivity and positive social impact through hip hop. I expressed my respect for muslims - Hell, I helped get Brother Ali over here in February (it was mostly the doing of my man Aaron, but I'd like to think I helped). I just asked him why he would want to create antisemites of the young kids he intends to influence. I asked him why he wanted to create more hate for a subgroup of the Hip Hop community. Edan, DJ A-Track, Beastie Boys, Aesop Rock (i think), plenty of others I'm sure are all Jews and they're keeping shit as real as anyone else.

I told him that thinking that all Jews are like Rupert Murdock is as fair of a stereotype as thinking all Muslims are Osama. I try to break down all those stereotypes whenever I can, not just the ones directed to my demographic group.

Guy never responded to me, though. Wanted to share that with you folks.

Feel free to discuss.

I just saw dude last night and he was, as always, very very cool. Dude is always on the humble and has put in more street-level work for the Ann Arbor-Ypsi-Detroit hip-hop scene than anyone I've ever met. I haven't checked out the new album yet, but I'm definitely disappointed to hear about the presence of antisemetic undertones. Maybe my man Dj Haircut (I know you're out there!) can shed some light on it??

• Hip Hop Congress chapterhead
    HA

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    For real though antisemetism is everywhere including hip-hop, but we live in a racially divided country that still has trouble getting over the differences between the people making up this land. Add to that alot of mixed conspiracy theories (yes lizard people are in that group) etc. which tend to be woven into rap music in general and this doesn't surprise me. I have met OneBeLo a number of times and like its noted above he is mad humble, down for biz, and no outward militancy against anyone offhand. I would be interested to his view on why he included the subject matter though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i haven't heard the album. what does he say that's anti-semetic?

• FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1112681339TheeeCasualMale">

Hip Hop Congress Chapterhead[/b]

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1112681339TheeeCasualMale">

Hip Hop Congress Chapterhead[/b]

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Too Much Information!!!

Cannot Process Input!!!

Syntax Error Warning!!!

Meltdown Meltdown Meltdown!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ummm... not sure what that means, but here you go - www.hiphopcongress.com

Its the third largest worldwide hip hop organization after Russel Simons' Hip Hop Action Summit & KRS-ONE's Temple of Hip Hop.

Normally, I wouldn't be one to jump on a bandwagon but this is like shooting fish in a barrel.

With a howitzer.

I'm not disrespecting you Xander - I think it's cool that you want to work in hip-hop at an organizational level...but I'd really avoid comparisons (even in membership size) to either the Summit or Temple. Especially the Temple.

And wouldn't the Zulu's be as big as any of these?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I didn't really give the album a thorough listen (not a fan of Binary Star nor what I what heard of this new album), but he does say something like "everything I say is controlled by the jews" on the track with the "Who got the props" chorus.

• Guy never responded to me, though. Wanted to share that with you folks.

Feel free to discuss.

Hmmm...this post is weird to me. It seems like it would've made more sense for you to post this on Lo's forums). From what i've heard, the explanation for that line is that it was satirizing people w/ that attitude, but I don't know. I do know that Lo's a good dude who's worked really hard at making a living out of music for many years, and gives back to the community like crazy. I also know of a couple jewish people he's very cool with, but that's anecdotal.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How come we don't get good threads like THIS?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hip Hop Congressional bump

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

:woah:

• With all the intense partisanship these days it's almost impossible to get anything passed through Hip Hop Congress.

THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

:woah:

• I don't really know about it, but isn't Hip Hop congress what you join if your a hip hop fan at a university?
    That's cool though...
    If you're gonna go at him about some remarks on his records and want our opinions on it, a least give the examples(lines, verses) he said on the records. I'm not gonna go looking for the album to see what you're talmbout .

• Why don't you ask Grand Puba about "Wake Up"? No better yet skip Puba and go straight to Lord Jamar. Then after that meet up with Professor Griff and see what he has to say

• Bizarre bump of a 6-year-old thread involving an artist (One Be Lo) I'd never heard of.

But even more bizarre is that I was digging through a box of 45s in my basement yesterday and found an old One Be Lo flyer in there.