U2 or Michael Jordan?

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Most of the worlds sports fans could give a shit about basketball....
    It's all about futbol, soccer.
    Someone like Beckham, Zidan, or Ronaldinho is probably more
    recognizable than MJ in many places worldwide.

That said U2 packs stadiums worldwide.
    I say advantage U2.

agreed.

in the US = MJ no doubt

in the World...advantage U2

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who wants to be like Mike if you've never shot hoops?

Micheal is bigger than the court. Cats like him embody winning. People who dont know shit about golf can relate to a winner like Tiger Woods.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Supremo,

You need to clarify something for us:

Are you talking about:

1) Who is more recognizable? Jordan vs. Bono?

2) Or who has more fans?

If it's 1), I know someone who trumps both those dudes: Ronald McDonald. EASILY.

I know someone who trumps both those dudes: Ronald McDonald. EASILY.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I wake up in the morning just to see this gibberish? =P I don't care how many more CDs U2 has sold relative to Jordan's shoes. I don't care how many more people follow soccer than basketball. A lot of soccer fans and U2 fans will know Jordan. I don't think the same can be said about U2. The demographic of people who recognizes "michael Jordan/air jordan" is MUCH broader than that of U2.

• The demographic of people who recognizes "michael Jordan/air jordan" is MUCH broader than that of U2.

agreed. this shouldnt even be up for debate. i know this is soulstrut, but there are a lot of people in the US who don't listen to music on the radio or watch mtv, let alone the world. i wouldn't necessarily call these people disconnected either.

however, i find it very hard to believe that anyone who has even remotely followed the international news over the past 15-20 years would not know MJ by name. He is quite possibly the most recognizable face since Elvis. Bono? Get serious.

MJ is right there w/ ALI and Pele.

Call me a lunatic, but MJ has had a LOT more commerical power behind him.

Bono who?

The demographic of people who recognizes "michael Jordan/air jordan" is MUCH broader than that of U2.

agreed. this shouldnt even be up for debate. i know this is soulstrut, but there are a lot of people in the US who don't listen to music on the radio or watch mtv, let alone the world. i wouldn't necessarily call these people disconnected either.

however, i find it very hard to believe that anyone who has even remotely followed the international news over the past 15-20 years would not know MJ by name. He is quite possibly the most recognizable face since Elvis. Bono? Get serious.

I vote MJ, but dont discount U2. They've made some serious music industry power moves, despite the fact they havent had a relevant album for a minute. Dudes are on some Rolling Stones $300 dollar for a ticket shit.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I had a friend ask me today who I thought was more popular world wide.

Let's go back to the first post. If we are talking "world wide", we have to consider global population. With that said, we need to focus in Asia. I think U2 is more popular than MJ over there. I must conclude therefore that U2 is more popular from a global point of view.

The question remains: why the fuck are we talking about this?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Everyone I know hates U2.

Although, I also live in a bubble...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The demographic of people who recognizes "michael Jordan/air jordan" is MUCH broader than that of U2.

Dude, I know you love basketball and all, but you come off kinda silly
    just insisting it isn't even close. Your argument works both ways - lots of
    people in the US don't watch basketball and could care less who MJ is/was.
    Millions more people outside America are completely ambivalent if not ignorant
    about the NBA and it's superstars.

I don't watch MTV or listen to the radio, but I know who U2 are. You are severely
    underestimating the global popularity of U2, believe me!!

Now the real question is, WHY DO I CARE?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I had a friend ask me today who I thought was more popular world wide.

Let's go back to the first post. If we are talking "world wide", we have to consider global population. With that said, we need to focus in Asia. I think U2 is more popular than MJ over there. I must conclude therefore that U2 is more popular from a global point of view.

The question remains: why the fuck are we talking about this?

I agree. This is why I said I'm taking this one to the net! Just as we were in that room yesterday having the same exact arguments as we are on this board. I was asked who is more popular in the entire world and I'm still gonna roll with U2.

• Dude, I know you love basketball and all, but you come off kinda silly
    people in the US don't watch basketball and could care less who MJ is/was.
    I don't watch MTV or listen to the radio, but I know who U2 are. You are severely

no, its really not close because mj's popularity goes much further than hoops. There is a Jordan Brand of clothing and sneakers. That leg spread pose is probably more well-known than the jerry west nba logo. I've seen jordan logo tattoos on dozens of guys, some of whom don't even play hoops. The guy is beyond legendary.

Bono has put himself in the spotlight outside of music with his charity work, but he doesnt come close to Jordan's superstardom.

They aren't in the same league. Its a joke. Not worthy of debate. Jordan has sneakers more famous than bono.

Dude, I know you love basketball and all, but you come off kinda silly
    people in the US don't watch basketball and could care less who MJ is/was.

Now the real question is, WHY DO I CARE?

A lot of people don't know and don't care about basketball but know MJ, yadamean?

Maybe it's time to start another VS thread.

I bet you one of them owns a pair of Jordans.

• I bet you one of them has probably protested on behalf of the children who make Jordans.

And I gotta give the global popularity contest to U2 on this one. Jordan is not knowed around the world like those dudes. I don't know why some of you think that somehow diminishes his legacy.

• To be crude about it, the question can basically be reframed: Nike or some band*?

Jordan isn't merely a basketball player - he's the most famous athlete in the world. This isn't because he was great or won all those championships or whatever, it's because his emergence coincided with certain ways of marketing and promoting celebrity that make his visage inescapable throughout the world. Just think about two of the countless brands he's endorsed: Nike and McDonald's. Or how about his impressive body of film work: Space Jam (which co-starred Bugs Bunny--how's that for recognizable?) and as the spectral ideal of Like Mike. And how about the entire NBA, which is growing in popularity at a frightening pace. All of these things Jordan has been associated with have traversed the globe a lot more thoroughly than U2's music.

This doesn't have anything to do with the relative popularity of basketball v. futbol -- more people may play the latter, but only Beckham's profile even approaches Jordan. Economists have written about Jordan's effect on the global economy. I don't really see U2 having the same influence.

Also: it's impossible to measure this question in terms of actual sales. Even if U2 has sold more albums than Jordan has shoes (is this even true?), Jordan is one of the most bootlegged images on the planet.

* - I don't even think U2 is the most famous musical act in the world. I would guess Michael Jackson or Madonna?

To be crude about it, the question can basically be reframed: Nike or some band*?

Jordan isn't merely a basketball player - he's the most famous athlete in the world. This isn't because he was great or won all those championships or whatever, it's because his emergence coincided with certain ways of marketing and promoting celebrity that make his visage inescapable throughout the world. Just think about two of the countless brands he's endorsed: Nike and McDonald's. Or how about his impressive body of film work: Space Jam (which co-starred Bugs Bunny--how's that for recognizable?) and as the spectral ideal of Like Mike. And how about the entire NBA, which is growing in popularity at a frightening pace. All of these things Jordan has been associated with have traversed the globe a lot more thoroughly than U2's music.

This doesn't have anything to do with the relative popularity of basketball v. futbol -- more people may play the latter, but only Beckham's profile even approaches Jordan. Economists have written about Jordan's effect on the global economy. I don't really see U2 having the same influence.

Also: it's impossible to measure this question in terms of actual sales. Even if U2 has sold more albums than Jordan has shoes (is this even true?), Jordan is one of the most bootlegged images on the planet.

* - I don't even think U2 is the most famous musical act in the world. I would guess Michael Jackson or Madonna?

A+

• i like how seriously people are taking this...

Google Results:

5,550,000 for "Michael Jordan"
    16,500,000 for U2 Music

U2 Wins

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    i like how seriously people are taking this...

Google Results:

5,550,000 for "Michael Jordan"
    16,500,000 for U2 Music

U2 Wins

SLAM DUNK!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Jordan isn't merely a basketball player - he's the most famous athlete in the world.

Give me a break. Jordan may be the most famous athlete in the US, but he's FAR from being the most famous in the whole world. On a global scale, basketball is a minor sport compared to soccer and it's biggest current stars (like that idoit Beckham) and legendary figures like Pel??.

Some of you dudes are reaaallly living in a bubble yo. Those numbers are pointless. You may think "this coming from a dude with a basketball player as his avatar". No, you're living in a bubble.

Some of you dudes are reaaallly living in a bubble yo. Those numbers are pointless. You may think "this coming from a dude with a basketball player as his avatar". No, you're living in a bubble.

Are you MJ's cousin or something?
    Try sleeping in your Jumpman jammies while snuggling your
    OG AJ III's tonight. You'll feel much better on Tuesday.

Can you make your avatar, name, and location any more obscure?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You need numbers to win this argument. Show me the numbers or you might be full of it. Jordan isn't more popular just because you really want him to be. Numbers. Show me.

You need numbers to win this argument. Show me the numbers or you might be full of it. Jordan isn't more popular just because you really want him to be. Numbers. Show me.

This thread is done. the numbers are there and it is clearly U2. I'm not a fan of either party here just trying to find a fact and it has been proven.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    BONO/U2

its not even close

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DeeRock,

I dunno man, I think people who keep insisting on U2 really have it completely wrong.

Again - if the question is: "who has more fans?" that may complicate things since the definition of "fan" is a little harder to parse out. But if the question is: who is more popular?

IT'S MICHAEL JORDAN. It shouldn't even be a question unless someone here really is going to try to suggest that U2 has managed to trump the global marketing power of Nike over the last 20 years.

Just pause and think about that. It has nothing to do with whether b-ball is more popular than football (or rock music) around the world. It has to do with how powerful an iconic figure has been pushed into every part of the developed AND developing world.

You show anyone, around the world, the MJ jumpman logo and then ask them, "who is that?" vs. asking "who is U2" and I find it difficult to believe that U2 is going to win out.

Again, this isn't a question of who has more fans - that's a lot tricker. But if we're talking about global recognition? It's Jordan.

Probably to all three.
    Avatar=Keith Haring piece, you know Keith Haring the famous 80's NY artist?
    Pretty well known dude if you are up on the 80's Graf/Downtown scene.
    Name=It's a contraction of my first and last name, a contraction, like do not= don't
    As in don't sweat MJ any harder his wife might get jealous.
    Location: Does anyone on Soulstrut put the town they live in?

Probably to all three.
    Avatar=Keith Haring piece, you know Keith Haring the famous 80's NY artist?
    Pretty well known dude if you are up on the 80's Graf/Downtown scene.
    Name=It's a contraction of my first and last name, a contraction, like do not= don't
    As in don't sweat MJ any harder his wife might get jealous.
    Location: Does anyone on Soulstrut put the town they live in?

Hilarious! Man this thread has turned into some serious comedy. O why do you keep asking me fans etc.? Read the very first post. It just says popular and thats that. The numbers don't lie. U2. It's like asking who is more popular Organized Cunfusion or M.C. Hammer and we all say "Organized" is because we like them and know they are so ill and Hammer sucks when we all know Hammer sold way more records. Thats just what it is. I feel everybody's arguments and some great stuff has been said but it is U2. yes Jordan is completely the shit and I know about the marketing and all that but at the end of the Day I really honestly think U2 is bigger on a Global scale.