U2 or Michael Jordan?

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
I had a friend ask me today who I thought was more popular world wide. U2 or Michael Jordan. I said U2 and it created an argument between so many people that were in the room! I said I'm taking this one to the net and lets here what everyone has to say. So what is it strutters?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I had a friend ask me today who I thought was more popular world wide. U2 or Michael Jordan. I said U2 and it created an argument between so many people that were in the room! I said I'm taking this one to the net and lets here what everyone has to say. So what is it strutters?

You mean, right at this moment? Or at the height of their respective popularity?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Popular as in well-known world wide? or popular as in idolized?

On both accounts, I say MJ.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think U2 is better known right now but relative to the height of their popularity, I think MJ.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

You mean, right at this moment? Or at the height of their respective popularity?

Overall. Here we go, because half the people said u2 and the other half said MJ. More popular as in more known worldwide. I said U2 because not EVERYONE is into sports although they still may know of michael jordan but everyone has a radio or tv and I'm sure are familiar with the group U2. It just seemed to make sense to me.

Actually I don't really know how well-known U2 is in Europe/Asia/South America.....

How about Mj vs U2 in Europe/Asia/South America? Just by gut feeling, I say MJ has an edge in Asia/South America.

I said U2 because not EVERYONE is into sports although they still may know of michael jordan

I think the fair question to ask would be, "Who are U2?" and "Who is Michael Jordan?". Take it world wide, and I say everyone from toddlers to 60year olds know that MJ plays basketball. Ofcourse I'm just a bit biased.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Actually I don't really know how well-known U2 is in Europe/Asia/South America.....

Are you joking?

Are you joking?

Stats wise, no not really. I've seen massive crowds of people on t.v. for U2 Europe tours or whatever. But that's about all I know. What's the age of the general listening audience? We can take it from there.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What's the age of the general listening audience? We can take it from there.

U2 are just completely massive on a global scale. They are a European
    band, so that was why I thought maybe you were being sarcastic.
    Bono's status as humantarian ambassador combined with already
    unbelievably huge pop culture success makes him probably one of the
    10 most recognized people on the planet.

That's what i'm saying. I think U2 over Jordan.

In all honesty, I forgot they were from Europe. Anyway, good points about U2.
    This is my argument for MJ.....probably the single most recognizable athlete of all time. He's timeless. Anybody who's even familiar with sports will probably know him. Anybody 20+ years old who's kept up with current news (whether it's through t.v. or newspaper) will probably recognize him.

To my point about MJ being "timeless". He's known by 12 year olds and 50 year olds alike. I'm talking about someone like a 12 year in Brazil who spotted an MJ ad or a 40 year old stockbroker in China who knew about him through scanning the sports section. You consider that and I would think that's a pretty significant portion of the population.

This is tough though......I think it all comes down to the prevasiveness of music vs sports around the world.....

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Most of the worlds sports fans could give a shit about basketball....
    It's all about futbol, soccer.
    Someone like Beckham, Zidan, or Ronaldinho is probably more
    recognizable than MJ in many places worldwide.

That said U2 packs stadiums worldwide.
    I say advantage U2.

I say advantage U2.

Soccer is popular globally, but MJ is more well-known than all three of those guys combined.

"Haha. I'm retired, but I'm still famous as hell son."

I say advantage U2.

Soccer is popular globally, but MJ is more well-known than all three of those guys combined.

2001 NBA Playoffs and Finals=2.5 Billion Viewers
    The 2006 totals were by far the worst in 25 years, down 30%, so a generous estimate
    for '06=1.75 Billion Viewers.

2006 World Cup=28.8 Billion Viewers

Numbers like that can't be brushed aside.

The 2006 totals were by far the worst in 25 years, down 30%, so a generous estimate

Wait, there's like what 7 billion people in the world. So that must include repeated viewers? i'm confused. Let's not do numbers.......Every 4 years, Asia and the North America focuses on soccer....somewhat....Go back to my argument about Jordan. I'll get back to this tomorrow. Let's keep it U2 and MJ though. We can start an MJ vs Soccer thread tomorrow if you like. PEACE.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    This one is tough... Lately MJ hasn't been in the news as much as Bono and U2, but MJ does have a huge, undeniable sports legacy.

It also cannot be ignored that Jordan is one of the most marketed sports figures in history, along with Tiger and now Lebron. Heck you can even throw in Yao.

I think U2 and Bono have only recently (in the past 6 years?) become marketable figures/identities for global companies/causes.

This thraed is post Achtung!

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    from a UK perspective, %90 of british cats don't give a monkeys about basketball

people would recognize him if he levitated & floated around doing the air jordan pose, but otherwise it'd just be "jesus, look at the size of him".

Bono on the other hand..... thousands of people in every city would cross the street to give that sanctimonious git a slap.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Im from the uk & i hate U2 so MJ gets my vote. Id say overall U2 have more worldwide fame but back in the day even kids over here were rockin jordan trainers....thats sneakers to you.

Another thing to consider is U2 have sold more records then MJ has sneakers.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    the only thing we see of mj are his shoes.
    and since voetbal is the big sport over here we hardly ever see any nba.
    now Bono is someone ya cant miss.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    MJ visited Germany recently to promote some new air jordan stuff and he was surprised how popular he is here, because a lot of fans came to see him.
    I would say more people know MJ.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

How about Mj vs U2 in Europe/Asia/South America? Just by gut feeling, I say MJ has an edge in Asia/South America.

Last march, U2 packed 2 stadiums in Buenos Aires. I know because I was there

MJ is well-known, but hyper-popular only in basketball circles.

Wait, there's like what 7 billion people in the world. So that must include repeated viewers? i'm confused. Let's not do numbers.......Every 4 years, Asia and the North America focuses on soccer....somewhat....Go back to my argument about Jordan. I'll get back to this tomorrow. Let's keep it U2 and MJ though. We can start an MJ vs Soccer thread tomorrow if you like. PEACE.

There is no denying that MJ is super famous, maybe the most famous sports figure around.
    I guess my main point is that, it's extremely Amerocentric to assume that people who are
    famous here are famous worldwide. Especially for a sport that is not the worlds No. 1.
    Who wants to be like Mike if you've never shot hoops?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I am so ... I barely know schitt about U2 or Bono. I can't tell you even one U2 song off the top of my head (although if you start running down a list I think I'd probably say "oh yeah, I know that song". I think most folks from the hood would concur. I guess I would be able to ID Bono if you showed me a pic of him.... not 100% sure about that either.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    U2.

• MJ.

without a doubt, more people around the world would recognize MJ in a pic, than Bono. basketball might not be the most popular sport in other countries, but if people know what basketball is, then they know who mj is.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    basketball might not be the most popular sport in other countries, but if people know what basketball is, then they know who mj is.

Ah but there lies the problem.

Taking the UK for example, most middle aged people I know would have a far better chance of recognising Bono than recognising a basketball player.

Therefore I'm going with U2 or, more specifically, Bono.

Is it just coincidence that both guys who think MJ is more famous than U2
    have ball players as their avatars?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    MJ.

without a doubt, more people around the world would recognize MJ in a pic, than Bono. basketball might not be the most popular sport in other countries, but if people know what basketball is, then they know who mj is.

MJ is right there w/ ALI and Pele. Cats who transend the sport. Besides U2 doesnt play on Black Radio across the country. Alot of kids who arent raised on POP radio wouldnt know a who U2 is, unless they saw thw Ipod commercial or saw Bobo takin pictures w/ Human Rights mofos. U2 is business.

Steak anyone?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts