Barry White Productions

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I picked up the Gloria Scott LP on Casablanca at the BV fair today (thanks JToro!) and had the Tom Brock from a while back. I can also think of a few other White produced projects:West WingJay DeeWhite Heat(and of course, Love Unlimited)How's the White Heat LP? And how about the Evan Page LP?

Comments

• Mr.Danny Pearson LP 1978

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    One that was never realized: according to David Ritz's book, Marvin Gaye had reached out to White about producing him towards the end of his life, and White had begun to put together tracks.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There was a really good reissue on the Del-Fi label some years back, titled Boss Soul, which featured not only early tracks that White did on himself for Bronco (Del-Fi's soul label), but things he produced on Felice Taylor, Johnny Wyatt, and one or two others I'm forgetting at the moment.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

How's the White Heat LP? And how about the Evan Page LP?

My copy of White Heat I sold years ago... wasn't impressed with it at all back then (didn't even remember it was a BW production). The Evan Page album has one song I like a lot, but it's probably more from a cratedigger / producer point of a view than a listener / dj point of view... song sounds kinda dope at times then gets kinda wack at other times, so you probably couldn't really play it out or anything.
    I have a few other BW produced lps at home- none of which stirred up any special feelings inside of me but I will try to list them when i get back to the crib if nobody has mentioned them already.

• I recall liking the White Heat LP... I will listen to it today and get back to you.

• Wasn't it Gene Page?
    I think the only decent track is Cream Corner (Get what you want).

Wasn't it Gene Page?
    I think the only decent track is Cream Corner (Get what you want).

No, we're talking about Evan Page. White dude, soft rock-ish schitt.

I recall liking the White Heat LP... I will listen to it today and get back to you.

A lot of people do like that album, I believe. I sold it for a pretty nice amount, if I recall. Wasn't doin' it for me personally... the money in my pocket was nicer to have than that album IMO.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I recall liking the White Heat LP... I will listen to it today and get back to you.

A lot of people do like that album, I believe. I sold it for a pretty nice amount, if I recall. Wasn't doin' it for me personally... the money in my pocket was nicer to have than that album IMO.

I like the album but it doesnt stand out. The plus for me is Bobby DeBarge on some of the vocals. His rendition of Stevie Wonder's - I Love Every Little Thing About You is a raw nugget. Falsetto fire.
    Nice grooves here and there. Im a Switch fan and a handful of cats were in White Heat.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, I have to say...I find both the Gloria Scott and Tom Brock LPs to be one/two trackers at best.

I've heard the West Wing LP before but wasn't really blown away by it. Maybe Barry saved the best schitt for himself.

Yeah, I have to say...I find both the Gloria Scott and Tom Brock LPs to be one/two trackers at best.

I've heard the West Wing LP before but wasn't really blown away by it. Maybe Barry saved the best schitt for himself.

The production on White Heat doesnt sound like a "typical" BW sound. Maybe he/label pulled a Puffy.

• Yeah, I have to say...I find both the Gloria Scott and Tom Brock LPs to be one/two trackers at best.

i personally don't enjoy any music by BW - with exception to love unlimited's "move me no mountain". However i find myself loving anyone who attempts to pull off the BW sound. BW imitators.

-Tall Armstrong - "leave the hurt behind"

i personally don't enjoy any music by BW

BAN

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i personally don't enjoy any music by BW

BAN

really though, you dont?...

really?...

jesus.

• myself getting by the dubster!

good to see all those I linked with this weekend.