ever have one of those nights....

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
When you really have a horrible time djing? I did this gig tonight that for real i think i would be ahead of the game if i sat home and smoked pot. It was just terrible. I had to work with these poets and shit and then get my time cut short. I lugged about half my studio down under the impression that i would be spinning and jamming out on keys with a band all night, but hell no. I get stuck in some coffeshop with a bunch of art fags playing for maybe 20 minutes. It would have been one thing if they appreciated me there at least. No one even gave a fuck that i was even there except for the dude that was hosting it. And for real i was killing it. I was on my grizzly. Anyone else get gigs like this? The ones where you regret even leaving the house? at least im drunk as shit. Eases the pain.

Comments

• 1. rule # 6 "dont take yourself so goddamn seriously"
    2. the host liked you(alot of times i dj and nobody does)
    3. dont bring all your stuff next time.
    4. hope for the best and expect the worst.
    5. realize you live in a free country where you can have all that stuff(most people do not)
    6. it was a learning experience.
    7. be grateful for your 20 minutes you had to express yourself.

and yes i have had literally hundreds of these nights and regret none.
    peace, stein. . .

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah i hear you. It was a learning experience. I just left feeling bitter which sucks. I kinda salvaged the night though by going to the bar down the street from the gig. Ill laugh about all this tomorrow. Just right now i feel like throwing my turntables down the stairs.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    1. rule # 6 "dont take yourself so goddamn seriously"
    5. realize you live in a free country where you can have all that stuff(most people do not)

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    being a dj is basically a chump position
    unless you are sasha and dickweed or "the rub" you ain't nobody[in spite of all your madd skillz ,dildo/gear and amazing records]
    no one really cares about music as much as you[except us]
    get over it or quit while you're hearing is still intact

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

8. get paid

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

8. get paid

9. get laid

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

unless you dj in a real club[/b] you ain't nobody

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    When you really have a horrible time djing? I did this gig tonight that for real i think i would be ahead of the game if i sat home and smoked pot. It was just terrible. I had to work with these poets and shit and then get my time cut short. I lugged about half my studio down under the impression that i would be spinning and jamming out on keys with a band all night, but hell no. I get stuck in some coffeshop with a bunch of art fags playing for maybe 20 minutes. It would have been one thing if they appreciated me there at least. No one even gave a fuck that i was even there except for the dude that was hosting it. And for real i was killing it. I was on my grizzly. Anyone else get gigs like this? The ones where you regret even leaving the house? at least im drunk as shit. Eases the pain.

This king of shit makes you better DJ more so than blowing up a backed club for five hours. The key to prevent this in the future is planning. ALWAYS talk to promoters in great detail. Get then to lay out a tight schedule especially if you are going on between a band, poets or other DJs. if they can't, it's big red flag and you should pass. It's one thing to show up with some records and not really get to play vs. hauling out your rig.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    if they can't, it's big red flag and you should pass.

UNLESS, said shitty gig will get you paid on future gigs, or if you actually enjoy the bands and/or scene. Don't forget your business cards!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    1. rule # 6 "dont take yourself so goddamn seriously"[/b]
    6. it was a learning experience.[/b]

So if #1 on this list is "Rule #6," then where does that leave #6?

Oh well, the Moonglows' song "Ten Commandments Of Love" only mentioned nine of them if you listen closely, so it's all good...

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i forgot i even wrote this last night. But yeah it sucked and the one thing i did learn is to better understand agreements before i commit to something. It was hazy from the jump, so i should have bowed out. Its just the whole gig was wrong for a dj, no alcohol was a big problem. People were not trying to hang out after listening to 3 hours of some lame poetry. Im just a little salty cause the dude that invited me to the gig, left me high and dry when it came time to pack up. I had to lug a ton of shit out to the car while these assholes sat around and watched me Also i didn't get paid which kinda burned my ass, and throughout the night i had to babysit 2 kids trashed on xanax and alcohol. It was just one of those nights. I don't really dj alot anymore cause the area im in really doesn't cater to the hip hop/rare groove scene at all, and to them a dj is just a human jukebox loaded with top 40. I would rather just make mixes for my friends or do the college radio spots then waste a night playing bring sexy back and all that shit. I would like to get something popping out here, but we tried it multiple times and no one shows up or some shit like last night goes down. Its all good though. you win some you lose some.