Do ya know this indy 12" I think from Boston 1996?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I have a white label 12" that I'm trying to figure what the hell exactly it is. One side has a beat with that "Real Live Shit" Bob James drama sample (I think it's from a real old Bob james record, right? I can't remember this damn sample schitt anymore). The chorus is like "Got the hardcore rhymes and the hardcore beats / equipped with the schitt when you walk down the street / I do this for the niggaz, the kids, the girls / Everywhere I go you know Big O rocks the world". The other side is a jazzy vibe sample beat, the chorus goes "Throw your hands up high everybody if you handle your b.i. / you drinkin' hennessey, puffin' li / Throw your hands up high everybody if you handle your b.i. / we moneymakin' til we die". DOPE mid 90's east coast hip hop. From the lyrics it seems that this came out in 1996 and is from out of Boston. I think my man Rich 5 probably sent me this, but back then I was getting so many promos that I really can't recall what the deal is with this for sure. Anybody know the deal on this record please let me know the label info. Kon? Amir maybe? Any other beantown headz who know the deal? I will be eternally in your debt.

Comments

• I've got that one buried somewhere. I think the artist was "Big Oh" and the main song is "Big Oh Rocks the World." I can't remember if mine's a test press, but if you need some info I could try and dig it out.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I've got that one buried somewhere. I think the artist was "Big Oh" and the main song is "Big Oh Rocks the World." I can't remember if mine's a test press, but if you need some info I could try and dig it out.

Hey, Mr. A****a... I would most def appreciate the assist but don't kill yaself trying to find it. If, like, all your stuff is alphabetized or something and you can put your hands on it without too much trouble that would be cool. Otherwise don't sweat it. I'm just getting all of my vinyl in some kind of order and I want to nail down what each of these white labels I have actually is. Most I can just listen to and I'll know what's what, but stuff like this particular record is a problem. Thanks if you can help, hommie.

• I have a white label 12" that I'm trying to figure what the hell exactly it is. One side has a beat with that "Real Live Shit" Bob James drama sample (I think it's from a real old Bob james record, right? I can't remember this damn sample schitt anymore). The chorus is like "Got the hardcore rhymes and the hardcore beats / equipped with the schitt when you walk down the street / I do this for the niggaz, the kids, the girls / Everywhere I go you know Big O rocks the world". The other side is a jazzy vibe sample beat, the chorus goes "Throw your hands up high everybody if you handle your b.i. / you drinkin' hennessey, puffin' li / Throw your hands up high everybody if you handle your b.i. / we moneymakin' til we die". DOPE mid 90's east coast hip hop. From the lyrics it seems that this came out in 1996 and is from out of Boston. I think my man Rich 5 probably sent me this, but back then I was getting so many promos that I really can't recall what the deal is with this for sure. Anybody know the deal on this record please let me know the label info. Kon? Amir maybe? Any other beantown headz who know the deal? I will be eternally in your debt.

Big oh (osamah) is one of my best friends....been thru mad shit.
    I was just with him the other day, we used to be mikst nutz back in 90'. My man budarock did the track...i was at the session. i dont even have a copy of this shit....i have some other shit i did with him back then.
    crazy that you bring this up tho...ima let him know. anything you need to know about this holla...

• post an mp3. I like hearing mythical raer real schitt boston indy hippity hop.

post it or

I have a white label 12" that I'm trying to figure what the hell exactly it is. One side has a beat with that "Real Live Shit" Bob James drama sample (I think it's from a real old Bob james record, right? I can't remember this damn sample schitt anymore). The chorus is like "Got the hardcore rhymes and the hardcore beats / equipped with the schitt when you walk down the street / I do this for the niggaz, the kids, the girls / Everywhere I go you know Big O rocks the world". The other side is a jazzy vibe sample beat, the chorus goes "Throw your hands up high everybody if you handle your b.i. / you drinkin' hennessey, puffin' li / Throw your hands up high everybody if you handle your b.i. / we moneymakin' til we die". DOPE mid 90's east coast hip hop. From the lyrics it seems that this came out in 1996 and is from out of Boston. I think my man Rich 5 probably sent me this, but back then I was getting so many promos that I really can't recall what the deal is with this for sure. Anybody know the deal on this record please let me know the label info. Kon? Amir maybe? Any other beantown headz who know the deal? I will be eternally in your debt.

Big oh (osamah) is one of my best friends....been thru mad shit.
    I was just with him the other day, we used to be mikst nutz back in 90'. My man budarock did the track...i was at the session. i dont even have a copy of this shit....i have some other shit i did with him back then.
    crazy that you bring this up tho...ima let him know. anything you need to know about this holla...

I figured you'd probably know what's up with this... record is too good IMO for it to be a complete mystery. I just want to know the official song titles and the label name (all spellings correct if possible). I'm assuming the year is 1996 but if not I want that info too. Did Budarock do the beats for both sides of this 12"? Tell ya man Big Oh he made some dope schitt back in the days.

• @ funky, i??ll try to post the 2 tracks in the next days.

not sure, but i think he did something with m-slash too, or is it another big oh?

• @ funky, i??ll try to post the 2 tracks in the next days.

not sure, but i think he did something with m-slash too, or is it another big oh?

Phil i will have to hit oh up for that info...to be correct.

yup...m-slash with big oh. We all went to high school together. slash had a single called good times rich5 did. sfar as the 12" you got phil, rich5 did the other side i believe. buda did some tracks for one of slash's 12"s could be the flip of goodtimes...samples with vibes..forgot what it is, gary burton or some shit.
    sp1200/ with the asr 10 was in full effect back then. dudes still do ot now...cept with computers and an mpc for the drums.
    y'all are bringin back memories...there is a single by ripshop from 92..i have a copy, shit is dumb rare..he sounds like puba !! another 12" to look for is the street poets..which i do not have. i need to holla at my man g-spin who i know has all this shit.

@ funky, i??ll try to post the 2 tracks in the next days.

Phil i will have to hit oh up for that info...to be correct.

yup...m-slash with big oh. We all went to high school together. slash had a single called good times rich5 did. sfar as the 12" you got phil, rich5 did the other side i believe. buda did some tracks for one of slash's 12"s could be the flip of goodtimes...samples with vibes..forgot what it is, gary burton or some shit.
    sp1200/ with the asr 10 was in full effect back then. dudes still do ot now...cept with computers and an mpc for the drums.
    y'all are bringin back memories...there is a single by ripshop from 92..i have a copy, shit is dumb rare..he sounds like puba !! another 12" to look for is the street poets..which i do not have. i need to holla at my man g-spin who i know has all this shit.

Yeah, I still have a couple of the M-Slash records. Another dude who I thought had a lot of potential. It's just haaaaaard trying to come out of nowhere on a press-em-up-yourself indy situation, even if the material is good.
    Yo, is Rich 5 still around? If you are in contact with him at all, tell him Soulman said whazzup.

• Phill, off topic but - is that Hawaiian Silky?

Phill, off topic but - is that Hawaiian Silky?

I have no idea... somebody posted it in the Jay-Z thread. It immediately captivated me and I had to have it as my avatar.

• thanks planless. You da man you da man.

Songs are good. It's crazy how much mid 90's stuff is out there that is completely unknown.

• It's crazy how much mid 90's stuff is out there that is completely unknown.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post670581

haha yeah i tried at vinylexchange to bad their boards are gone. I think someone there would have eventually known it.

Know what my big want is. This comp on ENY records called East Coming Thru (sp?) with this joint by madman shawn called walk thru which is rediculous. It's the dwyck bassline with the spreadlove drums. I don't know what else is on there. But i want that comp.

p.s. I'm still asking about that song for you.

i know the feeling. ive been trying to ID a song from a stretch and bobbito show for a looong time. came out prolly 94-95. started out with a weird track that sounded like car horns beeping. and dudes voice is going "pure renaissance madness". then theres one verse where they end with "....landover.."and someone else chimes in "maryland".
    not much to go on, but thats all i got. i used to think they might be called renaissance, but i think theres another group by that name too.