FUCKING STARK REALITY ON DUSTY GROOVE

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
for $399.00.!!!! I called in like 5 minutes after they updated for the day, and someone already called in and put it on hold. GOD DAMN IT.

Comments

• Exact 2. Stark Reality -- Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop . . . LP . . . $399.99 (Item: 5151)
    AJP, 1970 (2LP) Condition: Very Good View Cart
    Wild! This amazing lost double LP set is an insane mix of fuzzy jazz and funky breaks! Ostensibly put together as a set of children's songs for WGBH in Boston, this set of Hoagy Carmichael tracks is more like a trippy soundtrack for madness than it is a kiddie record. Monty Stark leads the group on some very fuzzy vibes, and John Abercrombie lays down some great guitar riffs. The whole thing's a monster, and it's very tough to find. Sample heads, take note! (Wow! This copy's in pretty great shape. Cover has some discoloration from age, a promo sticker, a smaller sticker on the back, and the trace of a small sticker or a piece of tape on the opening edge. Rare as can be, and this copy wasn't played much!)

Bean dip? Offa Stark???

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    someone

Carnahan.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Bean dip? Offa Stark???
    ha, classic early soulstrut moment. I totally remember that.
    That lp was my first "grail." Sigh, someday.....someday!!!!

• I bought my first online item at Dusty Groove's, it was listed as vg+.
    From my experience of that purchase, I could tell that a very good LP from there you would possibly not like at all. Of course a buying a reissue would be a decent thing to do if you want to support Dusty's.

someone

Carnahan.

Figures...when I called, they said they put the lp on hold. I asked if they could take my name if things fall through. The guy says "I'm absolutely sure he's gonna buy it."

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I haven't fucked with Dusty Groove in years because:
    1.I've always lived in cities where I could get most of
    the new stuff I needed. I'm sure it's great for someone who lives
    in the sticks or any place where the stores are subpar.
    2. Their grading on originals SUCKS ASS! They consistantly OVERGRADE!
    And I think that has been many peoples experience.

$399 for a Stark Reality, I'll bet you get what you pay for.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The grading at DG differs depending on who is doing the grading. I've gotten some nice deals there because they undergrade 45s all the time.

• I thought, they must undergrading everything, where else do people charge $15+ for Good+ and Very Good- records???

• I haven't fucked with Dusty Groove in years because:
    1.I've always lived in cities where I could get most of
    the new stuff I needed. I'm sure it's great for someone who lives
    in the sticks or any place where the stores are subpar.
    2. Their grading on originals SUCKS ASS! They consistantly OVERGRADE!
    And I think that has been many peoples experience.

$399 for a Stark Reality, I'll bet you get what you pay for.

I've never been into Dusty Groove.
    The store is pretty boring and the shit is overpriced.
    Their reviews on the site are hilarious.
    I always imagine the writer being in that drunken stage where you suddenly become wildly optimistic and everything is great. Add in a bunch of exclamation points, visually grade the record with your liquor goggles in full focus and voila!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    fuzzy fuzzy

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The store is pretty boring

Huh?

Look, I don't visit there every week, or anything, but if you want a great selection of reissues/comps with the odd OG deal thrown in, it's not a bad place to live 4 blocks from. But I have no idea how wasted the reviewer(s) have to be to write that !!!HAPPINESS!!! for every album in the store.

• Why are people sweating VG stark reality for 399?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what's stark reality? it sounds really ?
    what is the true "to the penny" for this

• montymonty 420 Posts

from $500 to $1025 on the bay

i've got a home for mp3s and info

• Dusty Groove does deliver with some good deals every once in awhile. You have to go by the grading and the records description. That being said $399 for a VG copy of Stark Realty is a steal. About 2 weeks ago I brought a VG- copy of Bloyfly On TV LP for $19 from them and when it arrived, the vinyl looked like it was VG++ and the cover looked VG. So I was surprised and very very happy.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

from $500 to $1025 on the bay

i've got a home for mp3s and info

i'm just teasing, monty.
    i know who you are.
    and we all appreciate your music
    and insights

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    $399 for a VG copy of Stark Realty is a steal.

a steal?

a steal?

OK, some people need to quit acting like this lp pops up everyday and trades hands for a quarter and shit.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    it's gone from being a $300 to being a $700 in the last couple years. It'll probably come back down a bit in price yet. If it is in fact a VG copy, I just don't see how 400 dollars is "a steal".

look what $316 on ebay gets you:
    http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4823853018
    a heavily water damaged cover and ONLY ONE of the records. The rest go well over $500....some all the way over a grand. So yeah I think $399 is a very reasonable price for one that is described as "not played that often"

• I've never been into Dusty Groove.

Huh?

Look, I don't visit there every week, or anything, but if you want a great selection of reissues/comps with the odd OG deal thrown in, it's not a bad place to live 4 blocks from. But I have no idea how wasted the reviewer(s) have to be to write that !!!HAPPINESS!!! for every album in the store.

I've never been into Dusty Groove means I've never liked what they've got going on.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    say werd
    i woould drop that in a heartbeat
    someone hookedthe fuct up
    i wonder who the lucky bastard is

• it's gone from being a $300 to being a $700 in the last couple years. It'll probably come back down a bit in price yet. If it is in fact a VG copy, I just don't see how 400 dollars is "a steal".

Yeah I'd have to agree. Especially for dusty groove grading standards.

VG should be, what, %50 of NM? Less? So that's about right.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Why are people sweating Boscoing[/b] VG stark reality for 399?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Huh?

I've never been into Dusty Groove means I've never liked what they've got going on.

Ah. Inside, into.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Its been years since I bought anything from DG, but back when I did they could be reliable depended on to undergrade LP/12"... a VG from them would (and only at the very worst) have a light scuff or two... if ebay grading were so generous I might actually still use it

HOWEVER, I did have some issues with 45s from them...

• Why are people sweating Boscoing[/b] VG stark reality for 399?

It's been verb-ified!!!