The Raerest Records in the World.

2»

Comments

• If soul records some of these are only a handful of known copies:

Fluorescent Smog "all of my life"
    Memphis "inside my love"
    Timeless Legend "baby don't do this to me"

But as you guys know there are many more soul 45s that are like 20 copies or less known to man but as these "documented" rare soul 45s mostly are in the hands of british people my guess some of the rarest 45s also exists in american collections that the british don't know about..

/L

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think of it like D&D.

So you have shambling mounds and gelatinous cubes n shit which are cool and pretty rare. I mean you don't see these every day. It doesn't mean all you mess with is crystal dragons from the plane of air. It just means they are rare, more so than uncommon. They aren't orcs or lame shit like giant catfish that your friends older brother uses in campaigns just to fuck with you. But they aren't death knights either.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    This months Record Collector in the UK, lists the rarest 250 records 'of our time', but it's all arbitrary as the likes of Frank Wilson, That Denise & Co record don't make the list as they are non-UK. Top of the pops is the Quarrymen acetate in McCartneys collection, of which there is 1 copy. Price to you, ??100,000+ but priceless as it'll never leave his collection I'd imagine. 2nd in the list are the '81 replica issues in 7" & 10" of the same Quarrymen acetate cost to you ??10,000, and there were 25 of each made.

I'd like to judge rarity more on a scale of older records that haven't survived rather than things made specifically to become rare.

I'd offer to scan the article but lack of scanner prevents that.

• who knows a lil sumpthin about that doowop 78 outta NY? pressed right when 45s were coming on the scene and 78s were being phased out. its called the five stairs or five satins or some schitt. supposedly only a handful exist. any real heads know the deal?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

who knows a lil sumpthin about that doowop 78 outta NY? pressed right when 45s were coming on the scene and 78s were being phased out. its called the five stairs or five satins or some schitt. supposedly only a handful exist. any real heads know the deal?

When I started collecting records, a great many years ago, this was the story. As I recall the song was collectable on 78. Someone, maybe Times Square, maybe a philly dealer found a 45 of it. I don't think any more 45s have been found. There might be a theft involved in the story too, I can't remember the details. Five Sharps on Jubille I think.

The other legendary rarer from back then was the Mutniy On The Bounty lp, which was pulled before release.

• numericnumeric 152 Posts
    The crux of these types of discussions falls on the definition of the word "rare."
    Rare to me is a record that is known to have been actually manufactured, yet fewer than ten copies have survived or are known to have survived.

Nah... those are ultra rare or some level higher than rare.

I think of it like D&D.

So you have shambling mounds and gelatinous cubes n shit which are cool and pretty rare. I mean you don't see these every day. It doesn't mean all you mess with is crystal dragons from the plane of air. It just means they are rare, more so than uncommon. They aren't orcs or lame shit like giant catfish that your friends older brother uses in campaigns just to fuck with you. But they aren't death knights either.

Where do Umber Hulks fall into this analogy? You dont see many of them around.

• who knows a lil sumpthin about that doowop 78 outta NY? pressed right when 45s were coming on the scene and 78s were being phased out. its called the five stairs or five satins or some schitt. supposedly only a handful exist. any real heads know the deal?

When I started collecting records, a great many years ago, this was the story. As I recall the song was collectable on 78. Someone, maybe Times Square, maybe a philly dealer found a 45 of it. I don't think any more 45s have been found. There might be a theft involved in the story too, I can't remember the details. Five Sharps on Jubille I think.

The other legendary rarer from back then was the Mutniy On The Bounty lp, which was pulled before release.

thats the one, five sharps, red label 78 ?
    there was one on ebay a few years back that reached close to 30k before it got pulled, and if i recall correctly, wasnt mint at all, had like an edge crack or some ish

I thought the 45s were more of a 80s re-ish for some record club or sumpthin.

anybody heard this track?

• ps- whats the deal with that 10k garage record on wee? wheres all the bay knowledge at? (jinx...)

• numericnumeric 152 Posts
    Raer as a Mind Flayer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

who knows a lil sumpthin about that doowop 78 outta NY? pressed right when 45s were coming on the scene and 78s were being phased out. its called the five stairs or five satins or some schitt. supposedly only a handful exist. any real heads know the deal?

thats the one, five sharps, red label 78 ?
    there was one on ebay a few years back that reached close to 30k before it got pulled, and if i recall correctly, wasnt mint at all, had like an edge crack or some ish

I thought the 45s were more of a 80s re-ish for some record club or sumpthin.

anybody heard this track?

I think I may have heard it. It's doowop, which is fine and all but no big deal to me. I am surprised the 78 is bring that kind of money. The 78 was known and available when doowop collecting started in NYC and Philly late 50s early 60s. It was the discovery of the exsistance of a 45 that set the world on fire, At least thats how I remember it.

Today there are still a handfull of doowop collectors with unlimited funds who would be bidding if this every came on the market. But most doowop records have lost value in recent years.

If Alice is interested she can ask her old boss who remembers all the details for all the records.