The Raerest Records in the World.

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
I am looking to compile a list of the rarest and most sought after records for a project I'm working on. Please to post your ideas for the rarest records you own or want to own or know about. They can be of any value or genre or speed 45, 12" or LP. Need to touch base on pretty much every genre. Your efforts to help me get this list going will be rewarded.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• what about 78s? the raer ones have to be some of the holiest of grails in the world as far as recorded music goes.

see teftellers site

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

raer and sought after = high value

how about a simple @ popsike?

• waxi was talking about a Don Gardner 45 auction on Manship that is currently over $10K.

http://www.waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=5062

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Thats a good idea ... but Im kind of going for what people here would consider the most rare or sought after. I took a peak at Teftellers sight too...might come in handy when the project starts to come together seeing how he is in Oregon. I guess I'll keep on the basic checking on tera and popsike.

I guess what i should have asked was...What is your most ultimate grail?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    bob james mardi gras 12s with the cti briefcase
    salt-hung up
    eggroll- unknown
    the shrine label outta dc
    northern soul in general
    pakora did a book.....
    oh and heres some i want
    incident at kusini -manu dibango
    solomon king -ost
    placebo-ball of eyes
    all of supreme's records lol
    and all that nola 45 shit like inell young and chuck carbo etc etc

• This is, apparently, the world's rarest Soul 45... It sold for 5,000 in 1990 according to www.kevroberts.com

• I think Frank Wilson has sold for a lot more than that. One copy I believe went for around $28,000.

Popsike will be of limited help on the soul 45s because most of the really high end stuff like Frank Wilson, Don Gardner, Billy Woods, etc. is generally not sold on ebay.

• http://popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?top25=all

12,675.00 GBP=23,948.06 USD for a Sex pistols promo record.

there must be some super rich old punks around

• roneazyroneazy 111 Posts
    I think Frank Wilson has sold for a lot more than that. One copy I believe went for around $28,000.

Popsike will be of limited help on the soul 45s because most of the really high end stuff like Frank Wilson, Don Gardner, Billy Woods, etc. is generally not sold on ebay.

Ya $28,000 USD is approx. equivalent to 15K pounds, what Kenny Burrell, a Scotsman Northern Soul DJ paid for Frank Wilson. There are 2 known copies - the one Kenny bought apparently was lifted from the Motown studios... that 45 is *the* grail of Northern Soul and all those cliched English documentaries on the scene take that example and equate rarity with the best records... not necessarily the case. However, kidinquisitive is right - tunes that were historically played at famous venues (ie. Wigan, Twisted Wheel, etc.) ==> go for bigger and bigger dollars..

Also, let's not forget popsike is fairly new compared to collecting and paying big $$$ for records...

RON

ps. i really like the frank wilson, but there are so many much better tunes in my opinion.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Whats the deal with Johny Halyday?
    I just saw another one of his go for big $ in the 'bay Gallery.
    Anyone?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    east of the underground

d.r.hooker

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I am looking to compile a list of the rarest and most sought after records for a project I'm working on.

Please to post your ideas for the rarest records you own or want to own or know about. They can be of any value or genre or speed 45, 12" or LP. Need to touch base on pretty much every genre. Your efforts to help me get this list going will be rewarded.

I collect soundtracks and I could tell you the 1954 ST The Caine Mutiny is considered one of the rarest soundtracks there is. Like many rare records it was released very briefly then withdrawn for one reason or another. A so-so copy sold for $10K I believe.

• Robert Johnson on the BlueBird label.

One of the Holy of Holys.

• Spook Who Sat By The Door OST OG. If it even exists..

It's doesn't, but that maybe just makes it all the more rare! 

• Your efforts to help me get this list going will be rewarded.

plaese to elaborate?

• alice - talk to the dudes at mississippi records about that velvet underground acetate. portland raer.

There is a flexi!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Spook Who Sat By The Door OST OG. If it even exists..

There is a flexi!

Are you talking about this:

http://www.fenderhordes.com/history/audio.php

The last half of side 2 is Herbie and the band playing the mutation of "Actual Proof" that appears in TSWSBTD.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    What about that Gene Tilley shit from Product Placement?

Probably not expensive, but its raer as rocking horse shit fo'sho !

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is like asking confused second graders the capitols of all 50 states.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

best one liner all week

crinkith dowent blinkith

• east of underground

Scarce, but not rare. I've had four copies.
    Several dudes on this board have had copies as well.

As far as addressing the question at the top of this thread, I think that records that are known by one original acetate or demo copy but have been reissued (thus bringing awareness to a bunch of previously unaware heads), will be the first to get cited on anyone's "Grail List."
    Whereas, unknown and as yet unreissued records (read: no awareness), will get skipped on a Grail List because there is no barometer for their rareness.

The crux of these types of discussions falls on the definition of the word "rare."
    Rare to me is a record that is known to have been actually manufactured, yet fewer than ten copies have survived or are known to have survived.

The Paramount 12900-13200 series comes to mind:

Here is a case of metal parts being made to relatively mass-manufacture the object, yet it took almost 80 years to find an actual surviving copy.

There are many soul and funk 45s which I feel fall under this category as well.

• Here is a cool site listing rare garage singles:

http://www.finerecordingstudio.com/g45/

Might be useful.

• what about that bobby williams funky superfly on the rew label...was that not a free record to fan club members...?

• Psych super rares (by no means a definitive list)

Brigade-Last Laugh

Index

Phafner-Overdrive

Jesse Harper

Brain Police (Japan)

Can Library record?

Kenny and the Kasuals

Dark-Round the Edges

Phantasia

Extradition-Hush

Dragonwyck

High Speed ahd the Afflicted Man-Get Stoned Easy

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

best one liner all week

crinkith dowent blinkith

Just spit out my coffee........

as I mentioned on the other board....I'm compiling information for an art project so I'm hoping to be able to share it with everyone when its completed. I appreciate all the insight and opinions. I will be looking into a lot of the things mentioned. The early blues stuff is of extra interest Robert Johnson, King Solomon etc... Still need to get some things in country department. I suppose Early Johnny Cash 45's are somewhat rare?? I dunno anything about that stuff ...though.

Mike2600: Good lookin out.....anything local will make it that much easier.

• The crux of these types of discussions falls on the definition of the word "rare."
    Rare to me is a record that is known to have been actually manufactured, yet fewer than ten copies have survived or are known to have survived.

Nah... those are ultra rare or some level higher than rare.

I think of it like D&D.

So you have shambling mounds and gelatinous cubes n shit which are cool and pretty rare. I mean you don't see these every day. It doesn't mean all you mess with is crystal dragons from the plane of air. It just means they are rare, more so than uncommon. They aren't orcs or lame shit like giant catfish that your friends older brother uses in campaigns just to fuck with you. But they aren't death knights either.