SpouseStrut

wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I got to thinking....How many strutters have partners / spouses / girlfriends who share their interests / obsession in music / other arts hobbies? etcor.. How many strutters have partners / spouses / girlfriends who don't share their interests at all or place as much importance on music as you do? or are maybe equally obsessed with something completely different? (like fashion or some shit)My girlfriend doesn't share my taste in music, though she'll say when she likes something, she's just not as exposed or curious. she listens to more indie rock type stuff, she doesn't obsess or like to talk in detail about it either, infact she avoids being asked what music she's into. she seems to think it's boring to talk about it too much when you can just play it.But, we've been together for so long and get on so well and I don't think anyone knows me more, yet none of this has anything to do with our aspirations or career goals or taste or whatever. we connect because of something else.How many of ya'll became close to your partners because of common interests or something entirely different altogether?

Comments

• My wife enjoys music but is hardly as passionate about it as I am. She has her own hobbies (loves to knit). We do have a very similar sense of humor and general world view.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    My wife says she understands that I hear music in more detail than her, but she's never spent the time to pick out basslines or gated snares etc until I showed her what I thought was nice about a given track. Now she knows which tunes I am going to like. She's fairly knowlegable about a lot of music though; when I met her she had some fairly obscure stuff which she'd picked up after seeing these artists at festivals etc. Barry Adamson etc. But she didn't have boxes and boxes of music.

I think the collectro gene is present in 99% of males, hence hunting for graels etc. is only natural behaviour.

I once nearly proposed to a girl because she had a tape of Herbie's "Thrust" lying around in the back of her car which she'd acquired of her own free will. Now THAT is raer!

I think women have it for bags (and of course matching shoes/belts). See Imelda Marcos.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    My lady appreciates around 90% of the music I listen to (as mentioned in another thread I wooed her to the sounds of Al).

However she can't really get with a lot of jazz and has problems with some of the heavier rap I play. Having said that I listen to a lot of it on headphones travelling to and from work and I think you get a different impression of it then to having it blared out at you.

Overall she's very understanding of my musical tastes and has also widened my interest in a lot of guitar based music that I basically lost all connection with around the age of 14.

I'm very lucky to be with someone who has as many similar interests in the world as I do but who is independent and strong minded enough to give me a different reflection and opinion on life.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    We do have a very similar sense of humor and general world view.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    double

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Spouses and significant others are soft. I'm married to my records.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• Most of the girls I've been involved with haven't shared my level of interest or taste in music. However, my current lady impressed me early on when I gave her the mix-tape litmus test. I made a mix of deep funk, sweet soul, and heart-wrenching breakup songs. She loved it and still listens to it. She listens to mostly punk, rockabilly and more classic stuff like Bowie, the Who, Motorhead, Clash, etc.

She's not down with a lot of the stuff I like but that's to be expected. I dig the fact that we can somewhat see eye to eye on stuff like music and film. The nice rack helps too....

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Gangsta.
    My wife is a big music fan, but our tastes are like a Venn diagram--a meeting in the middle, and a whole lot of territory that's our own.

• My girl loves music. I met her at one of my DJ nights, so she likes a lot of the same music as I do. But she is strictly an MP3 gal...she has about 10,000 tunes on her computer. She has her own hobbies and is into them as much as I am into music. Fuck, she makes her own yarn...thats pretty hardcore as far as knitting goes I think.

she is also into cooking. In fact she is cooking up a vegan Indian feast for soulmarcosa this weekend. We were at the store and I asked her, "how come you are not bying any curry powder?" and she said...oh I am making my own, thats what the motar and pestle are for....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Does that copy have the you know what?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

she is also into cooking.

I wish my wife would cultivate this hobby! hell, I wish I were more interested in cooking, for that matter...

• My wife likes a lot of my soul. Latin not so much, but she'll tolerate. She's into some jazz, but not a lot of the harder stuff. She loves Eastern Sounds. And, at this point, she listens to more hip hop than me.

The songs, usually on 45, that she says she likes do take on special meaning to me; I love to play them out for her, sort of as my shout out to her. A wink and a nod...

I couldn't have asked for a better girl when it comes to living with, tolerating, and even loving my hobbies, interests, and obsessions.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    My ex-wife & I had not a lot in common music-wise. My current girlfriend though has as many records as I do & 90% of them are the same style stuff that I collect (really spooky). It's made things so much easier when deciding what live shows to go to & we can just go digging together & not worry about the other person getting ass-hurt when you spend too long in a record store.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'm single.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    music is a huge part of both our lives and we don't really have the same taste which is great because we both are exposed to stuff we may not have been otherwise.
    we argue about bass levels - i am a big fan; him, not as much.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    my girlfriend loves music but isn't as obsessed as i am. She has a modest little collection of reggae, latin, eastern, brazilian, afro, indie, and jazz lp's. She loves soul/funk but somehow doesn't buy it. We have themed nights where for example we will watch "Rockers," play some reggae 45's and eat jerk tofu and drink red stripe/rum drinks. I love that lady

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    My girlfriend has the most random taste in music... and it's actually kinda fun. It's like a test to come up with something that she digs. Although, I've learnt that if I say "Oh, you'll love this..." she won't be feeling it, until one day I come home and it's on the turntable. On any given day she can swerve from Herbie Hancock, The Wanderers soundtrack, Michael Mayer, Massive Attack and Candi Staton.
    And she calls the music I make either "Yoyoyoyo-stuff" or "whale music".

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    My girl and I are both artists. She does sculpture/ installation stuff and I'm working mostly in video right now.

She's a serious cook. you name it she can flip it.

She will let me linger in record spots forever, sweet talk the dude at the Bollywood spot to let me in the basement ,
    and recently brought home that Yusef Lateef live at Cranbrook on Cadet from a thrift store cause her 6th sense told her I'd dig it.

We get along aright.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    "whale music".

• My girlfriend likes most of the stuff I like, but when she hates something she really hates it. She hates Free Jazz and extended noodling of any kind. Anything with really high tones makes her insane. When something comes on she doesn't like she will exclaim as if it is an absolute fact that "this is horrible" Its kind of funny and I usually laugh about it because it makes her so mad. I just change the record and its all good. She really likes soul and most non free jazz. She really likes neil young, Dylan, and other stuff like that. She has good taste in music.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ...but when she hates something she really hates it. She hates Free Jazz and extended noodling of any kind. Anything with really high tones makes her insane. When something comes on she doesn't like she will exclaim as if it is an absolute fact that "this is horrible" Its kind of funny and I usually laugh about it because it makes her so mad. I just change the record and its all good. She really likes soul and most non free jazz.

Sounds like we are married to the same woman...

Until the Neil Young / Dylan bit.