Music Collectors: Rare Recordings Go Digital

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The item still means something. I imagine this will be true into the future, too.

YES

Mp3's are cool, but there still time before they become the sole format on which to purchase music.

I just don't see this happening. I think MP3's will always appeal to the casual music fan who used to buy a cassingle to play to death in their car. Serious music fans will always want a quality hard copy. always. I suppose this might mean the death of the 3 trillion selling album, but really, who gives a fuck?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Another important diff b/t digital files and physical media:

I just accidentally deleted a folder with about 10 GB of music inside.

Luckily, I had most of it backed up from about six weeks ago but still, I've never throw away 100 records by accident before.

• Wow. This thread has really illustrated how "Old Guard" we are. We can go back and forth forever about the timing of this business model, and how effective it's gonna be, but let's face the bottom line - analog is dying fast, and is probably completely flatline in many parts of the world. (thanks to MP3 blogs, Microwave, iTunes, etc)

I'm going to still buy vinyl, but as a dildo using DJ, it's just one of those things that we're going to have to get used to. Besides, less folls buying records = more records for us!

The issue here isn't one of analog vs. digital. It's about whether or not a physical object still matters when it comes to music. And moreover, whether a younger generation, raised on file-sharing, will still see the worth in buying music they might otherwise find for free without much effort.

I think in a larger sense it is, because we're talking about a physical object (vinyl) vs. a 'non-physical' object (mp3). As we move more and more to a fully digital age, analog - and all the physical objects that go along with it - will slowly become passe. Just look at what Microwave has done for people's record collections already.

Granted it will be 'how big is your hard drive' as vs. 'how many records you got?'

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Even if it's in the public domain, it doesn't mean you're not going to pay for the opportunity to download it. Anybody who goes to the trouble of sourcing the masters, digitizing, and distributing rare album X is going to expect that people pay for the right to consume the music. How can you complain about a buck a track, anyway? That seems like a reasonable price to me.

The point of the public domain is that the material is no longer copyrighted. So while he can charge for one person to download the music, he can't prevent that person from sharing that downloaded file with others.

• from Newseek this week:

Oct. 23, 2006 issue - Looking for the 1986 debut of reggae band African Head Charge on Apple's iTunes? You'd sooner find Microsoft Office. To that end, avid record collector Keith Abrahamsson has launched Anthology Recordings (anthologyrecordings.com), the first digital reissue label, as a marketplace for obscure sounds. Like labels such as The Numero Group, Anthology will sell handpicked rarities, but in MP3 format only, with tracks priced at 98 cents. A market exists; Oliver Wang runs Soul Sides[/b], an audio blog for rare funk, and boasts 40,000 visitors per month. Numero cofounder Ken Shipley is not sure digital rarities will sell to collectors, who generally like tangible objects: "To succeed at this, there has to be some physical component," he says. But Anthology may be perfect for those who don't want to buy vinyl to get into the groove.

???Joshua Alston

It's highly unlikely that a business model such as this will thrive given the nature and vastness of file sharing. Once one person buys it, it's the beginning of the end. Speaking as someone who worked for a considerable amount of time in the music industry, it's highly frustrating to see the negative effects file sharing has had. Of course, it was inevitable... and this checkmate between consumer technology and mass media is an interesting standoff. I don't see a solution other than a witch hunt style prosecution of all involved. That is also highly unlikely.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Humans will always express a desire to collect things. As a collectible medium, records offer a fair sight more to the consumer than your average piece of cultural memorabilia (pez dispensers, glassware, etc.). Records have both visual and auditory significance, and the details behind their production can be woven into a history that outlines a major component of this country's artistic heritage. Think about what rock music means to this country, and then try to tell me with a straight face that rock records are going to stop being collectible.

And, yes, people will continue to be obsessed by the authenticity of the artifact. That I can guarantee. Studies have been done with toddlers showing that your average 3-year-old would rather play with a toy that he/she thinks use to belong to Ernie from Sesame Street than an identical toy that just came from the store. That may sound like a silly example, but it illustrates how naturally imbue objects with subjective, often sentimental, worth. It's never, NEVER, going to ever be "just about the music". And I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Humans will always express a desire to collect things. As a collectible medium, records offer a fair sight more to the consumer than your average piece of cultural memorabilia (pez dispensers, glassware, etc.). Records have both visual and auditory significance, and the details behind their production can be woven into a history that outlines a major component of this country's artistic heritage. Think about what rock music means to this country, and then try to tell me with a straight face that rock records are going to stop being collectible.

And, yes, people will continue to be obsessed by the authenticity of the artifact. That I can guarantee. Studies have been done with toddlers showing that your average 3-year-old would rather play with a toy that he/she thinks use to belong to Ernie from Sesame Street than an identical toy that just came from the store. That may sound like a silly example, but it illustrates how naturally imbue objects with subjective, often sentimental, worth. It's never, NEVER, going to ever be "just about the music". And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I definitely agree with what you're saying here. My statement was referring more towards the industry in its current and future state.

• Someone posted an article a while back about vinyl sales actually increasing last year, with much of that in the market of younger consumers and relating to the advent of USB turntables.

Based on my personal experience as a retailer records have an aesthetic quality that cannot be replaced with MP3s. Technology will enable people to convert purchased music to MP3 effortlessly, the MP3 format itself may become outdated, but people like records. And that's all there is to it.

Humans will always express a desire to collect things. As a collectible medium, records offer a fair sight more to the consumer than your average piece of cultural memorabilia (pez dispensers, glassware, etc.). Records have both visual and auditory significance, and the details behind their production can be woven into a history that outlines a major component of this country's artistic heritage. Think about what rock music means to this country, and then try to tell me with a straight face that rock records are going to stop being collectible.

I definitely agree with what you're saying here. My statement was referring more towards the industry in its current and future state.

Yeah, sorry, it wasn't actually directed at anyone in particular. More of an undirected rant at those people (real or imagined) who might argue that I'm wasting my money on soul 45's.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Someone posted an article a while back about vinyl sales actually increasing last year, with much of that in the market of younger consumers and relating to the advent of USB turntables.

Based on my personal experience as a retailer records have an aesthetic quality that cannot be replaced with MP3s. Technology will enable people to convert purchased music to MP3 effortlessly, the MP3 format itself may become outdated, but people like records. And that's all there is to it.

And more to the point, people who are into obscure, out-of-print records are unlikely to be won over to a digital-only format. That said, I'll be curious to see how Anthology performs over the next year. I'm not wishing ill (business) will on anyone but I am a lil skeptical.

...people like records. And that's all there is to it.

• As if on cue, a couple of 18 year old girls just wandered into the shop and asked for some "really old school" hip-hop. I sold them a copy of "straight out the jungle".

PUT THAT IN YOUR IPOD AND... UH, SHUFFLE IT.

As if on cue, a couple of 18 year old girls just wandered into the shop and asked for some "really old school" hip-hop. I sold them a copy of "straight out the jungle".

PUT THAT IN YOUR IPOD AND... UH, SHUFFLE IT.

See! I knew it. I better hurry up and buy more records before it's too late.

• I can recommend buying obscure records first, then make mp3 copies and spread them in the 'public' domain. No matter what the mp3 quality is (the lesser the quality, the more people may think the actual record is shit). Only for obscure local items that are not known yet. The price will jump when the record is worth it, while previously neglected.

A real cheap way of promoting a nice record, and with a lot of positive side-effects
    1. you would also serve the ones that lack money for buying a real vinyl record (like people in some countries actually do).
    2. The artists get the fame they deserve after all these years. Why locking your records away or just spin them for a drunk crowd somewhere ?
    A record sounds a lot better than mp3 whatsoever, in a few years this will be equally good, once there's 'just' mp3's, people will stick to that. I don't see any negative points in trading mp3's (selling them of course is a bit absurd).