Radiohead "Fitter happier" voice

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
You know, the computer generated spoken word dude. Whay does he sound like he knows what he is saying? Why does he sound sad? This shit is freaking me out since 1997. Help me to sleep at night, dawgs. Please.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's Mac (spoken parts maybe?) It's a program built into Mac.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, so today is my Radiohead day. Was searching the innernet for mp3s at work. Found this version of "Let down" by two unknown dudes. IT'S SO EMO IT HURTS. PLEASE LISTEN AND IMAGINE WHAT THEIR HAIRCUTS MUST LOOK LIKE.

http://benjamincostello.com/music/bc_let_down.mp3

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    oh, and that dude Jonny looks hella waxidermic

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    PLEASE LISTEN AND IMAGINE WHAT THEIR HAIRCUTS MUST LOOK LIKE.

Imagine no more, that's dude in the middle:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    SIMPLE TEXT

• You know, the computer generated spoken word dude. Whay does he sound like he knows what he is saying? Why does he sound sad? This shit is freaking me out since 1997.

Help me to sleep at night, dawgs. Please.

FREAK OUT.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    You know, the computer generated spoken word dude. Whay does he sound like he knows what he is saying? Why does he sound sad? This shit is freaking me out since 1997.

Help me to sleep at night, dawgs. Please.

He sounds enthusiast. I LIKE MY TEXT-TO-SPEECH SAD AND DEPRESSING. EMO TEXT-TO-SPEECH.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    SIMPLE TEXT

Simple Text was the default text editor in Apple's old operating system, OS 9. Equivalent to Notepad in Windows. You could use Simple Text as a trigger, but the actual functionality is due to a system feature called Speech. This includes both Text to Speech, which allows you to generate speech from text (duh!) as well as Speech Recognition (Speakable Items), which allows you to issue spoken commands to your Mac. This is also built into OS X, but you are not restricted to using the text editor as a trigger anymore. Now you can highlight text in any random program to generate speech.

There are 23 standard voices built into the Text to Speech feature, ranging from a handful of male/female voices to an array of synthetic-sounding novelty voices. Most people will have heard these voices without knowing it, as this Mac feature has been used (and abused) in a lot of different music.

• I heard that Radiohead actually had Steven Hawking come in and they recorded him reading from "Think and Grow Rich", hence the "downtrodden" quality of the voice...

I made that up. sounded good though....

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

There are 23 standard voices built into the Text to Speech feature, ranging from a handful of male/female voices to an array of synthetic-sounding novelty voices.

So they probably used the "sad bastard" voice.

That voice has an emo power beyond belief.

Go listen.

Someone should record a "Text-to-Speech out loud" album. MAD modern electronic sounds and sad bastard dude reading poetry.