African amputees get no love

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
from WWTDD:Warner Brothers is accused of exploiting African amputees in order to promote the movie "Blood Diamond". IMDB says:The studio handpicked 27 teenage and child amputees from South African hospitals to appear as extras in the Leonardo DiCaprio film and promised to provide prosthetic limbs as well as a small salary for their contribution. However, more than three months after filming wrapped, the kids are reportedly still waiting for their new limbs???And here's the money shot, a rep for Warner Brothers told the amputees, "You will have to wait for December, when the movie comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it." um, lets read that again..."You will have to wait for December, when the movie comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it." "You will have to wait for December, when the movie comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it." "You will have to wait for December, when the movie comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it." to an african child amputee...what a wonderful world

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    "You will have to wait for December, when the movie comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it."

"oh, cool... i was looking forward to having a leg, but any little bit i can do to help raise the box office on a DiCaprio film is worth it in the end, i mean how selfish was i being? its not about me, its about the shareholders".

fuckin african child amputees, they are always thinking of themselves.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Fuck me. That's sickening. Really, really, sickening.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    it's fucked up, but since when did anyone think that the film industry had a heart?

What great charitable moves can you think of from Warner Brothers, Paramount, Universal, Fox, etc?

these dudes are strictly about money and power.

theres plenty of fucked up tinseltown stories out there. This one is just set on location.

Hooray for Hollywood

• Caring about this is soft.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Caring about this is soft.

you sir, are a muppet.

• What great charitable moves can you think of from Warner Brothers?

Issuing the Ron Elliott and Louis Shelton solo LPs.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    In semi-related news, we're also supposed to boycott the remake of My Friend Flicka, too...Since I had no intention of seeing it anyway, shouldn't be too difficult.

you sir, are an ironic alias[/b].

you sir, are an ironic alias[/b].
    Deny that it's soft--don't make this about me.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    One allegation doesn't really make it true, though, does it? I can't see even the dimmest studio PR making that statement. I need corroboration!