Classical Strut

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone collect classical records -- I'm not talking Stockhausen either.

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Has been discussed many times before...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    starker

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I dont collect classical records, but I love classical music.

The BIG DUDE for classical is AP I guess, and his young protoge Guzzo.....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Can anyone find the original Classical Strut thread from last winter? I am terrible at searching this beast. Reynaldo?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Most heavy hitters -- those who you first think of when remembering classical music -- lived during the 18th century. You have two types: Baroque and Classical.

Baroque would include Bach, Handel, and Vivaldi.

I recommend Bach's cello suites, which were avant garde compositions for solo cello based on dance forms -- composing for solo cello being something unheard of back in his time. If you can handle fugues, he composed a ton of those, as well. I also like his Brandenburg concertos.

As for Handel, the two most well known might be The Messiah and Water Music.

Vivaldi is best known for The Four Seasons. I'm sure you've heard it.

Lastly, if you like chamber music, the Baroque period was the heyday for that kind of music.

Classical music would include Mozart and Beethoven.

You really can't go wrong with anything Mozart. I usually suggest renting the movie Amadeus and seeing which compositions you like from the soundtrack and listening to those. I thinkthey leave out The Magic Flute in that movie, though, which is one of his best works.

With Beethoven you have, of course, his 5th and 9th symphonies, as well as his opera [color:white]Fidelio[/color].

Dont forget the Romantics (a helpful primer):
    http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Romantic-music

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    If 'Apocalypse Now' taught me nothing else, it's that 'Ride Of The Valkyries' should be played real loud when you're about to fuck shit up.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Conversely, Samuel Barber should be played when all of your buddies are being mowed down by machine guns in slow motion.