need a lil help with a shure m44-7 problem

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
so I just got two replacement stylus for my 44-7's in the mail from LabcabinCalifornia. one sounds fine. the other one has a "warbling" effect in the lower mids that I notice. When I swap the new needle out for the old one this effect goes away. Has anyone ever had this problem before? How do you deal with it? Will this go away after the needle is broken in a lil? I cant stand the way it sounds and refuse to play records with it in its current state. I think I have had purchased 6 pairs of these styli before and never had this problem until now.I first noticed it when playing survival of the fittest (remix) by mobb deep. that filtered drone sound that is looped sounded much more modulated then it normally sound on the 12" Thats the best description I can give on the way this needle sounds.so yeah, anyone else have this problem before?

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    447's do that constantly. that's been an issue ever since they started manufacturing the replacements in Mexico, but it's just a break in issue. Just let that thing ride a run out while you are at work or asleep at 3.5-4.0 oz. of counterweight on it. 6-8 hours of break in is req'd for those things. They are durable little fuckers, so don't worry about smackin em around a little... they like it.
    Also, get a detoxit pen from Radioshack and hit up the cartridge wire connections; then use the pen and a q-tip to do the headshell to tonearm connection area. You'll never lick a headshell connection again after you see the crap that falls out of there...
    After all is said and done, it should sound fine.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    is the cantilever straight when you look at it from the front?

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    word.

yeah it looks straight. (as straight as the gang of replacement 44-7's I have bought over the years ever have.)I have no reason to believe that the needle is bad. In every other regard it sounds fine (low hit and the highs are crisp) and it appears to have no physical blemishes.

I will let it run on a couple records and see what happens.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    the cantilever suspension (little piece of rubber) could soften with use, but if the stylus itself is damaged you could hurt your records.

Did you check it with a magnifient (spell check) glass?

:nerd:

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I expressed myself incorrectly on the last post.

the cantilivear (sic) is in its normal position. the tonearm itself is fine. I dont have a magnifying glass but with some direct light and looking very closely on the needle it appears to be picture perfect (straight needle ending in a point, perpindicular from the stem of the stylus)

I think I will try to break it in on a shitty record. will a looping record be fine?

Can you even send these things in to shure for replacement?

• you dont need to spin the platter to break in a stylus, just set the counterweight to about 4.5 gms and set in in a groove overnight. the weight will break-in the cantilever.

if it still sounds shitty after that, bring it back.

off subject, does anyone know where you can get a 1200 service manual ( bearing adj, tonearm replacement , etc) ?

thanks

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

off subject, does anyone know where you can get a 1200 service manual ( bearing adj, tonearm replacement , etc) ?

not the official manual but close:
    http://music.hyperreal.org/dj/sl1200.html

Hi Bozak !

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    whatup lucero!

how is melburn holding you down?

my last day that I was out there for RBMA I bought a few records

the devil in miss jones soundtrack
    renee geyer band "ready to deal"
    hot city bump band "come together"
    washrag "bang!"
    j.b.'s internationals "jamII disco fever"

and a grip of library records

unfortunatly the renee geyer got FUCKED in transit back to the states. just the sleeve tho.

anyone know of a reliable place to get a 1200 tonarm replaced? I needs to do that to my spare table.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    ^^
    ha - sounds like a trip to Northside!
    things are pretty good, its warming up and that

red bull things roll on - there was a big thing last saturday with joe bataan, the bamboo's, aloe blac and like 20 dj's from all over the spot, and Jazzman Gerald plays at honkys tomorrow

re: tonearms, this is more for salivating than replacement, worth a squiz tho:

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/dj-technics-arm.htm