"i don't like the funk/soul/jazz"

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
this was a message left by my co-worker at the shitty coffee joint i work at:
could we please be allowed to play some rock? indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to! that's what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle, and the stuff on my playlist is the same kinda thing they play on ktuh. my stuff is non-offensive and promotes good messages. like everyone knows snow patrol, etc. (i have no idea who snow patrol is) please? it makes me sad when i'm told not to play what i like, because i don't like the funk/soul/jazz stuff.. so that doesn't leave me with much. if you guys want me to put on classical, i can, but it would be nice if i am allowed to expand the listening selection on my shift. thank you very much.
god i'm bored at work
TAGGED:

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like

This dude sounds very fragile.

By the way, I am funk/soul/jazz.

• could we please be allowed to play some rock?

That has to be the most most pathetic question I've ever heard in my entire life.

I'm sure "Are you mad at me?" is another well-worn part of his repertoire.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's actually a girl.
    she actually hated on curtis once

• it's actually a girl.
    she actually hated on curtis once

curtis has no staying power. whereas snow patrol...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to ? that's what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle

I'm sorry Brian.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to ??? that???s what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle

I'm sorry Brian.
    you be rushing baristas on some "YO LEMME HEAR THAT NEW SNOW PATROL JOINT" shit?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I bet this girl is reasonably hot. If you're bored, hit on her. If you choose your lovers based on musical taste, you'll probably end up with someone like hcrink. If she is busted, disregard all of the above.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I bet this girl is reasonably hot. If you're bored, hit on her. If you choose your lovers based on musical taste, you'll probably end up with someone like hcrink. If she is busted, disregard all of the above.

Oh shit you almost made me spit out my iced tea.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not reasonably hot, never work with her. my last girlfriend was a huge mariah carrey fan so musical taste doesn't really fall into the equation much with relationships but i can't tolerate any curtis hate and i don't want to end up like hcrink. she's not completely busted but almost there

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like

This dude sounds very fragile.

By the way, I am funk/soul/jazz.

Please Be serious.

last night I registered a parent in the ER at Children's Hospital in DC (the weekend gig)....Mom's name, 'Frajille'

"Fra-jill-lay", I say, reading the screen.

"Naw, it's pronounced FRAGILE".

You just reminded me of that.

Brian, good luck with this put-upon Seattle Rocker.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Oh shit you almost made me spit out my iced tea.

Yo, Cos,

What's up? Was everything cool with that S.O.B?

peace

h

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    not reasonably hot, never work with her. my last girlfriend was a huge mariah carrey fan so musical taste doesn't really fall into the equation much with relationships but i can't tolerate any curtis hate and i don't want to end up like hcrink. she's not completely busted but almost there

Hmm. Not completely busted but almost there. That's awful. Who opens a cafe & doesn't fill it with sexy broads? And what's a cafe doing in Hawaii? You guys need hot beverages like I need air conditioning in December.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to ??? that???s what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle[/b]

I'm sorry Brian.
    you be rushing baristas on some "YO LEMME HEAR THAT NEW SNOW PATROL JOINT" shit?

LOL! I'm just sorry Seattle got involved in this. I have no idea who Snow Patrol are either and I don't keep track of what music is played in coffee houses here. I stay home, make British tea and listen to funk/soul/jazz.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She doesn't like funk, soul or jazz, or she doesn't like funky, soulful jazz (or jazzy, soulful funk, or jazzy, funky soul)? Did she say "slash"?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Hmm. Not completely busted but almost there. That's awful. Who opens a cafe & doesn't fill it with sexy broads? And what's a cafe doing in Hawaii? You guys need hot beverages like I need air conditioning in December.
    the rest of the girls are QTs and im fucking gorgeous. no one even buys hot shit here. i don't even make coffee during my shifts because no one ever buys it. it's cheaper to substitute americanos at the regular coffee price because if i brew a new pot, the rest of the coffee pot will sit there and have to be thrown out.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

could we please be allowed to play some rock? indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to ??? that???s what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle, and the stuff on my playlist is the same kinda thing they play on ktuh. my stuff is non-offensive and promotes good messages. like everyone knows snow patrol, etc. (i have no idea who snow patrol is) please? it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like, because i don???t like the funk/soul/jazz stuff..[/b] so that doesn???t leave me with much. if you guys want me to put on classical, i can, but it would be nice if i am allowed to expand the listening selection on my shift. thank you very much.

god i'm bored at work

This is the first time I've heard someone say that Jazz consitiutes a contraction in one's musical selection.

Between that and statements like

It makes me sad when i'm told not to play what i like

and

non-offensive and promotes good messages

I'd say that you've got a childish racist on your hands that thinks she Knows What Life In The Big City Is All About.

The fact that she dissed Curtis either means that you should either literally urinate in her coffee or not take her seriously as a human being. I'm not sure which. But there is no middle ground here.

...and I've always thought that "Snow Patrol" sounded like one of those High School winter retreat bonding sessions where everyone cries and Lessons Were Learned.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    She doesn't like funk, soul or jazz, or she doesn't like funky, soulful jazz (or jazzy, soulful funk, or jazzy, funky soul)?
    she doesn't like good music

• i don't want to end up like hcrink
    i don't want to end up like hcrink

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i've never heard a snowpatrol song.

and i thought i was kinda into that 'indie' shit.

punch that bitch in the gut brian.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'd say that you've got a childish racist on your hands that thinks she Knows What Life In The Big City Is All About.
    you know, i was thinking the same thing, but i don't really interact with her much so i'm not exactly sure.

The fact that she dissed Curtis either means that you should either literally urinate in her coffee or not take her seriously as a human being. I'm not sure which. But there is no middle ground here.
    for real. i can take anyone saying something sucks but you just don't say that shit about curtis. i also don't see how someone can completely write off genres of music (unless it's like trance or some shit), but i don't really understand much nowadays

i think i'm going to delete all the music on this computer and only leave impressions and curtis stuff on it

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Don't Snow Patrol sing that "Clocks" song?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    you know, i was thinking the same thing, but i don't really interact with her much so i'm not exactly sure.

for real. i can take anyone saying something sucks but you just don't say that shit about curtis. i also don't see how someone can completely write off genres of music (unless it's like trance or some shit), but i don't really understand much nowadays

i think i'm going to delete all the music on this computer and only leave impressions and curtis stuff on it

I was going to suggest Sam Cooke, because he's Soul 101, but Curtis is like Humanity 101.

What did she say about Curtis? "I don't get 'Move On Up?"

I was, ah, kidding about the urination thing.
    And upon further review, she might have meant that her music was positive for rock, as opposed to positive compared with your black music. It's poorly written to the point that it would be heard to tell which she meant.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i hate people

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Load up the playlists with nothing but hair-metal.

do it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Dude on the right (is that Cozy Powell?) has anti-perspirant issues.

And has recently been for a partially-successful pee, by the look of it.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Live and let live is what I say.

Let her have a specially designated 'snow patrol hour' each day from 8-9am, and let the funk soul jazz reign supreme for the rest of the day...

Fair's fair.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I had a similar situation once where the I was opening the bar and the cleaning dude interupted my CD playing by punching in a bunch of songs on the juke.

I'm like.."Did you put this on the juke? Thats not cool, I was playing something already "

He's like "Yeah, so, the other bartender let me "

and I said " No Man, thats not how it works, you should ask before hand, especially when somethings already playing"

He's like " Can't we share and play some songs we both like ?"

I said " No, this is only your second day working here"

We argued some more and I won, but over time he got his hour or so and we eventually shared music time freely. You never know what you'll end up liking that way, especially working with different folks with different strokes. Cough. Fuck em' if they cant find something to appreciate about all kinds of music.

I once worked with a guy who called Hip Hop "world music" that topped it all, this is the same as the kind of person who doesnt like soul...the soul-less.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Don't Snow Patrol sing that "Clocks" song?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Last time I worked in a place where you could play tunes out loud, we took it in turns to play an album each. That worked well - I never thought I could stand an albums worth of [skinny-white-boys-with-guitars] e.g. the early Manic Street Preachers for example, but I'd often catch myself humming to "Motorcycle Emptiness".

It did help that most of the dudes were open-minded. I couldn't see them hatting on Donny.

And of course, deep down, I know my musical tastes are beyond reproach. Ho Ho.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I used to work in a record store where I was the only employee (black or white) who didn't listen to hip-hop, so I know first-hand how hard it is for different musical tastes to coincide sometimes. Yet, when I see THIS:

could we please be allowed to play some rock? indie and electronic stuff is what college kids listen to ??? that???s what they played in all the coffee houses in seattle, and the stuff on my playlist is the same kinda thing they play on ktuh. my stuff is non-offensive and promotes good messages. like everyone knows snow patrol, etc. please? it makes me sad when i???m told not to play what i like, because i don???t like the funk/soul/jazz stuff..[/b] so that doesn???t leave me with much. if you guys want me to put on classical, i can, but it would be nice if i am allowed to expand the listening selection on my shift. thank you very much.

...it reminds me of every self-righteous indie-rock chick I ever met in college who thought she was superior just because she was listening to Erasure when everybody else was into, say, Poison. Can't put my finger on it, but there's something a little too smug about her whine. She comes off as one of those folks who says "your tastes should be more di-verse" but means "your tastes are narrow because you don't like what I like."

And I know that when you're running a store, you have to be careful not to play shit that might drive the customers away, but certain parts of her missive - "my stuff is non-offensive and promotes good messages," "everyone knows Snow Patrol," the bit about "what the college kids listen to on KTUH" - come off as hipster fascism at its' all-time worst. It's like this (now-defunct) greasepit I used to eat at in Chicago's South Loop...as soon as they replaced the senior-citizen waitresses with college kids, and as soon as they stopped playing the oldies station and started playing the commercial-alternative channel, the fun was over. I don't know about Brian's coffeeshop, but greasy cheeseburgers and Natalie Merchant just don't go together.

Damn, all that ranting about a person I don't even know! <>