A Letter from Kevin Tillman

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200601019_after_pats_birthday/By Kevin TillmanEditor???s note: Kevin Tillman joined the Army with his brother Pat in 2002, and they served together in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pat was killed in Afghanistan on April 22, 2004. Kevin, who was discharged in 2005, has written a powerful, must-read document.It is Pat???s birthday on November 6, and elections are the day after. It gets me thinking about a conversation I had with Pat before we joined the military. He spoke about the risks with signing the papers. How once we committed, we were at the mercy of the American leadership and the American people. How we could be thrown in a direction not of our volition. How fighting as a soldier would leave us without a voice??? until we got out.Much has happened since we handed over our voice:Somehow we were sent to invade a nation because it was a direct threat to the American people, or to the world, or harbored terrorists, or was involved in the September 11 attacks, or received weapons-grade uranium from Niger, or had mobile weapons labs, or WMD, or had a need to be liberated, or we needed to establish a democracy, or stop an insurgency, or stop a civil war we created that can???t be called a civil war even though it is. Something like that.Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.Somehow our elected leaders were subverting international law and humanity by setting up secret prisons around the world, secretly kidnapping people, secretly holding them indefinitely, secretly not charging them with anything, secretly torturing them. Somehow that overt policy of torture became the fault of a few ???bad apples??? in the military.Somehow back at home, support for the soldiers meant having a five-year-old kindergartener scribble a picture with crayons and send it overseas, or slapping stickers on cars, or lobbying Congress for an extra pad in a helmet. It???s interesting that a soldier on his third or fourth tour should care about a drawing from a five-year-old; or a faded sticker on a car as his friends die around him; or an extra pad in a helmet, as if it will protect him when an IED throws his vehicle 50 feet into the air as his body comes apart and his skin melts to the seat.Somehow the more soldiers that die, the more legitimate the illegal invasion becomes.Somehow American leadership, whose only credit is lying to its people and illegally invading a nation, has been allowed to steal the courage, virtue and honor of its soldiers on the ground.Somehow those afraid to fight an illegal invasion decades ago are allowed to send soldiers to die for an illegal invasion they started.Somehow faking character, virtue and strength is tolerated.Somehow profiting from tragedy and horror is tolerated.Somehow the death of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people is tolerated.Somehow subversion of the Bill of Rights and The Constitution is tolerated.Somehow suspension of Habeas Corpus is supposed to keep this country safe.Somehow torture is tolerated.Somehow lying is tolerated.Somehow reason is being discarded for faith, dogma, and nonsense.Somehow American leadership managed to create a more dangerous world.Somehow a narrative is more important than reality.Somehow America has become a country that projects everything that it is not and condemns everything that it is.Somehow the most reasonable, trusted and respected country in the world has become one of the most irrational, belligerent, feared, and distrusted countries in the world.Somehow being politically informed, diligent, and skeptical has been replaced by apathy through active ignorance.Somehow the same incompetent, narcissistic, virtueless, vacuous, malicious criminals are still in charge of this country.Somehow this is tolerated.Somehow nobody is accountable for this.In a democracy, the policy of the leaders is the policy of the people. So don???t be shocked when our grandkids bury much of this generation as traitors to the nation, to the world and to humanity. Most likely, they will come to know that ???somehow??? was nurtured by fear, insecurity and indifference, leaving the country vulnerable to unchecked, unchallenged parasites.Luckily this country is still a democracy. People still have a voice. People still can take action. It can start after Pat???s birthday.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah
    great
    hindsight is 20/20
    what a waste of a life....trading a heisman trophy for a bodybag.
    kneejerk patriotism at its best /worst
    the poor tillman brothers/family
    how is the tillman family any different than the other 2,999 families greiving about their losses from this criminal act known as operation enduring freedom?

The tillman brothers I am sure meant well and all enlisting for active combat duty infuriated and anxious to help out after 9/11
    now look at you
    shot dead by your own troops and weapons and then the insuing coverup.
    One Tillman dead the other converted to a flaming pinko hippy commie faggot peacenick who now sees the light and the "TRUTH".

this just in.......politians don't give a fuck who you play ball for or who dies for their bullshit cause

it takes a death in the family sometimes for folks to realize what the government is all about

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    kala
    you are fucked up.
    go away.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dude
    what is your problem?
    where am i wrong?
    weak people can't handle the truth

i agree with some of your points, if im reading them right. but in your approach you try to hard to shock people, and you sound ignorant.

sabadababada returns.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i agree with some of your points, if im reading them right. but in your approach you try to hard to shock people, and you sound ignorant.

sabadababada returns.

At least Saba could spell.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

One Tillman dead the other converted to a flaming pinko hippy commie faggot peacenick who now sees the light and the "TRUTH".

in all fairness most accounts say Pat Tillman was a flaming hippy commie faggot before he enlisted, and his main reason for enlisting was his love of the country that allowed him to be so.

• One Tillman dead the other converted to a flaming pinko hippy commie faggot peacenick who now sees the light and the "TRUTH".

in all fairness most accounts say Pat Tillman was a flaming hippy commie faggot before he enlisted, and his omain reason for enlisting was his love of the country that allowed him to be so.

yes. he read a ton, questioned everything...hell, how many people in the army at ANY level had read the koran?

Kevin's letter is poignant, and spectacular; i fear it is too easily written off, as it so clearly written from emotion. But, you know what? he has every right to question the authority that he signed his life over to. Not just because of military and governmental lies on a grand scale; he saw their lies and disregard for dignity on a micro scale, as they used his brothers life and death for propaganda.

He might know more about this first hand than some of us on the Soulstrut Message board. Just maybe...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ok JAYMACK
    all my interaction with you has been negative

basically you don't like my opinion on anything at all
    and you have started shit 3 times now because you don't like how i think
    its a public forum
    too bad
    So far you have called me IGNORANT,
    likened me to sabbadabda
    And I'm a flaming poptart....great
    then you admit i might be right but that I am IGNORANT

get your facts straight sonny
    point out where i am dishonest or factually wrong
    and back it up with something other than name calling

i am not trying to shock people,but
    as a famous sailor once said
    "i am what I am...and thats all that I am"
    my approach is first thought purest thought
    no editor just gut instinct
    visual/guttural/retnal/hst/thc/lsd/keasey and stream of the flow from the "show me "state of mind
    like it or not i don't think or wriet like mos t kid z
    I can't front,and not to blow my own maceo BUTT
    if the shitstorm evercame down you will be happy that a crazy azz motherfucker like me is on your side sniping and merking bitchez like sabbadabb and the gop

i am concerned with the least common denominator in any given situation
    in my world the clock is always ticking against me
    so i figure there is no time for candy coating shit
    especially when talking bout life or death
    also I am blunt

• ok JAYMACK

its a public forum
    too bad
    likened me to sabbadabda

i am not trying to shock people,but
    as a famous sailor once said
    "i am what I am...and thats all that I am"
    visual/guttural/retnal/hst/thc/lsd/keasey and stream of the flow from the "show me "state of mind
    I can't front,and not to blow my own maceo BUTT
    if the shitstorm evercame down you will be happy that a crazy azz motherfucker like me is on your side sniping and merking bitchez like sabbadabb and the gop

i am concerned with the least common denominator in any given situation
    in my world the clock is always ticking against me
    so i figure there is no time for candy coating shit
    especially when talking bout life or death
    also I am blunt

you are also laughable. that is some of the most undeserved, self-congrulatory and self-absorbed shit i've ever read on here.

you are a fool.

unedited.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

sabadababada returns.

thanks for the sp check lawrence durrell
    bring it on
    everybody dis me NOW
    c'mon whos next for a piss?

if i wrote for a living like you my shit would be spot on
    so again sorry if i offended you and your disconnect dictionary approach

ok JAYMACK

its a public forum
    too bad
    likened me to sabbadabda

i only know of one other interaction w/ you and i was joking around. you replied to your own post two times.

calling someone a "faggot" doesnt make ya seem very intellectual. i can tell by the way you post that you want attention, well here you go. im done.

• also, keep 'kesey's' name out your mouth.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    there is no doubt in my mind that by now
    Kevin Tilmann is being watched by the FBI/homeland security /orwellthugs/the central scrutinizer
    memos have been written
    all of his emails/ph calls/mail are being scoured for his opinions
    his personal contacts and anti war actions will be followed
    a case officer has been assigned
    a special office in the pentagon is also involved
    if you think otherwise you are only fooling yourself

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    also, keep 'kesey's' name out your mouth.

so full of authority
    i will do as i please thanks

• also, keep 'kesey's' name out your mouth.

so full of authority

you are an insult to his writing.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ok JAYMACK

its a public forum
    too bad
    likened me to sabbadabda

i only know of one other interaction w/ you and i was joking around. you replied to your own post two times.

calling someone a "faggot" doesnt make ya seem very intellectual. i can tell by the way you post that you want attention, well here you go. im done.

the commie pinko faggot line is a cultural reference to a specific mindset and trope that of the average union affiliated construction worker who where opposed to hippies and anti VIETNAM war demonstrators in the 60s and 70s
    these folks attacked peace activists in NYC in the early 1970s-
    if my use of the word "faggot " offends you
    well

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    also, keep 'kesey's' name out your mouth.

so full of authority

you are an insult to his writing.

and what have you written?
    save terse one liners?

u go on user ignore now

• u go on user ignore now

i'm the big winner here.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

u go on user ignore now

i'm the big winner here.

case in point
    no backup just empty opinion
    show me what you have written in this thread or on this forum that is so amazing
    tell me about keasey
    I met him and leary at the same time in [email]1989@NYU[/email]
    so please son and sonny
    back up
    p fucking s
    looks like its me vs the board again because i state my opinion and i can't spell

KESEY[/b]

• u go on user ignore now

i'm the big winner here.

*this post ignored*

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    The thing that I find funny about ANYONE who criticises the war, is that they're automatically labeled something derogatory by its supporters. Seriously, save the insults and explain why you support it. What good has it done, and what were the reasons for going?

This is bigger than any Dems/Reps bullshit, this is a major turning point in the history of the world.

• i agree with some of your points, if im reading them right. but in your approach you try to hard to shock people, and you sound ignorant.

sabadababada returns.

You must not have been reading his posts carefully. Dude was a world class spelling scofflaw....

• my approach is first thought purest thought

This approach doesn't usually make for the most well-reasoned arguments. Sometimes you actually need to think about something before writing or speaking.

You remind me of a few people I met in college. Bad stream-of-consciousness is bad stream-of-consciousness.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

This approach doesn't usually make for the most well-reasoned arguments. Sometimes you actually need to think about something before writing or speaking.

You remind me of a few people I met in college. Bad stream-of-consciousness is bad stream-of-consciousness.

thanks professor jazzercise
    your literary opinion and extensive published works proceed you.

the thread was og about kevin tillman
    not my writing style or lack of
    interestingly it has morphed into yet another attack on my speling and opiniions
    kea zy
    keyze
    kesey
    keasey

he would be happy i am upsetting you all and your little rules
    there are no rules and your reality is not mine

funny how there is zero margin for spelling error or opinion or individuality in this so called "forum"

if it were face to face conversation instead of some protracted digital approximation of a conversation i think people would handle my spelling errors and my opinion a bit differently
    i am glad to offend narrow minded stuffed shirt assholes who think they are gods gift to the pen
    who the fuck are you?
    i am supposed to be in awe because you write for wax po or graduated Berkley?
    i came from the school of hard knocks i am lucky i can read and write at all
    fucking academic funkologists who have 0 street cred but report on it anyway

for the record if you don't like my opinion or the way i write block me as a user

• thanks professor jazzercise
    your literary opinion and extensive published works proceed you.

The word is PRECEDE. If you're wondering why your points don't come across it might have something to do with you not using language correctly. To quote someone else from the School of Hard Knocks (Class of '92): Read a book you illiterate sonofabitch and step up your vocab.

You and HarveyCanal should have a conversation about how to truly appreciate THE FUNK.

HarveyCanal: You need to eat some ribs to understand it.

Kala: No no no it's al about not waitin to think how to spel somethn rite and just sey whateverr cums to yor mine

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    hey, idiot. this thread was about the kevin tillman letter. if you want a thread about yourself, why don't you start it?

to get back on track; that long sentence about the various justifications is excellent. is that in chronological order?

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Kevin Tilmann is being watched by the FBI/homeland security /orwellthugs/the central scrutinizer
    memos have been written

Are you saying you support this?

• Word to Kevin.. as..well thanks for posting this

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    memos have been written

Are you saying you support this?

are you implying tha aclu is as parnoid and fucked up as me or that there is no wool over everyones eyes and yall not asleep ladyday?

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/spyfiles/index.html

The Government Is Spying on Americans

Documents obtained by the ACLU under the Freedom of Information Act reveal that the FBI is using its Joint Terrorism Task Forces to gather extensive information about peaceful organizations. Recently, President Bush acknowledged giving explicit and secret authorization for warrantless electronic eavesdropping and physical searches by the National Security Agency. Now, there is reason to believe that the Pentagon, too, is illegally gathering and sharing private and protected information.

Tell the phone company to stop spying >>

The actions of the president, his administration, and these agencies are part of a broad pattern of disregard for the rule of law in the name of national security. The ACLU is calling for investigations and full disclosure of records to determine if oaths of office were broken or federal laws violated.

Pentagon
    The ACLU has filed a FOIA request to uncover who is being spied on by the Pentagon. News reports have revealed the Pentagon is collecting information in a secret database on peace groups and law-abiding Americans who have attended anti-war protests.
    More About Illegal Pentagon Spying >>

National Security Agency
    President Bush acknowledged authorizing the NSA to engage in warrantless electronic spying and physical searches of Americans. The ACLU is leading the challenge to stop this program and has filed a lawsuit on behalf of journalists, scholars and attorneys.
    More About Illegal NSA Spying >>

FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force
    Documents obtained by the ACLU expose wide-ranging investigations into peaceful organizations by the FBI and its Joint Terrorism Task Forces. The FBI is using counterterrorism resources to monitor and infiltrate political advocacy groups.
    More About Illegal Fuckery