vinyl priceguides

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
someone mentioned some record collector guide in another thread and when i did a search on it i found this shit. pretty cool linkhttp://www.bomp.com/BompbooksPrice.htmllately i just use ebay to gauge shits worth, but i might have to invest in some of these now.

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    someone mentioned some record collector guide in another thread and when i did a search on it i found this shit. pretty cool link
    http://www.bomp.com/BompbooksPrice.html
    lately i just use ebay to gauge shits worth, but i might have to invest in some of these now.

Those books are shit!
    I hate when you go into a shop and the clerk/owner pulls out one of those
    things. They act like these books are the gospel.
    They are generally hopelessly out of touch with the current "value" of a majority of records.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That site isn't actually selling those books, pretty much all the good ones on there it will tell you are out of print

And as for the common/popular ones that are still available, son don't risk it

They're wildly inaccurate far too often

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    really? good looking then. ill just stick to ebay and popsike for now. Any other way to find out prices?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    really? good looking then. ill just stick to ebay and popsike for now. Any other way to find out prices?

This is the kinda knowledge you must acquire through experience... you already have far more resources at your disposal than were ever available in the past anyway

A posting on SoulStrut should do the trick.
    The collective knowledge here is staggering.

thats true. Ive never doen it casue usally the shit im finding out here in my part of pa aint super raer, but i do find a decent share of $10 to $15 joints every couple of days. Ebay keeps me locked one that tip.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

The thing about Popsike is they only list LP's that have sold for over $30. So if you see something on there that has sold for $50, it may well be that all other recently sold copies have fetched far less. Also, your sales reputation is a huge factor, just ask anthonypearson.

• I use Popsike, Musicstack and Gemm but ignore the ridiculous prices (like recsim and Archdd) Ebay completed searches can give a good idea too if something was up on ebay recently.

• manship!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I find this simple equation works best...

BREAKZ + ILL LOOPZ & STABZ X 3 = price

Add $20 if it's on CTI or Groove Merchant

Seriously though, almost all of the vinyl price guides are really useless unless you are looking to price your Herman's Hermits records for your antique mall stall.

if it's something you want to sell put it on eBay and see what you can get. No truer test than that. If it's something you really enjoy owning then why should it matter if it's worth $1 or $100?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    If it's something you really enjoy owning then why should it matter if it's worth $1 or $100?

• if it's something you want to sell put it on eBay and see what you can get. No truer test than that. If it's something you really enjoy owning then why should it matter if it's worth $1 or $100?

for real. if you dont have the knowledge to figure out the difference between a ten dollar record and a rare record, should you really be that worried about selling shit in the first place? just put the shit up on the bay and see how it does.

this whole price guide, easy answer key shit is real fuckin gay. even the little ebay/popsike super searchers are a bunch of tools. i have no problem checking in on those sites here and there, and they should damn well be used as a reference if you need them in a pinch and your crew cant tell you nothing. but basing your whole knowledge around the two sites is two dimensional (dont even get me started on gemm). i am all for people getting paid for their knowledge. but cross referencing every thrift store record you buy in hopes of finding raer is some computer nerd, too much time on your hands, corny shit. if youre looking for investments, buy stocks or real estate and stop fiddling around with $5 returns on your money. fucking punks

i didnt find no records this weekend

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

A posting on SoulStrut should do the trick.

Just remember, you are only allowed one of these within any 8 month period,
    so choose wisely. And no multiple LP's in one post. One record. Every 8 months.

if it's something you want to sell put it on eBay and see what you can get. No truer test than that. If it's something you really enjoy owning then why should it matter if it's worth $1 or $100?

for real. if you dont have the knowledge to figure out the difference between a ten dollar record and a rare record, should you really be that worried about selling shit in the first place? just put the shit up on the bay and see how it does.

this whole price guide, easy answer key shit is real fuckin gay. even the little ebay/popsike super searchers are a bunch of tools. i have no problem checking in on those sites here and there, and they should damn well be used as a reference if you need them in a pinch and your crew cant tell you nothing. but basing your whole knowledge around the two sites is two dimensional (dont even get me started on gemm). i am all for people getting paid for their knowledge. but cross referencing every thrift store record you buy in hopes of finding raer is some computer nerd, too much time on your hands, corny shit. if youre looking for investments, buy stocks or real estate and stop fiddling around with $5 returns on your money. fucking punks

WOW!
    I hope you find some records soon...
    It might cheer you up a bit.

i hope your not directing this at me homes. Ive been digging steadly for about 8 years without the internet at all, so dont try to lump me in with that crowd. I just dont sell records. I have about 5,000 records filling my apartment and i got bills to pay, so its time to start weeding out the collection. I think i have a decent idea what is rare without any reference and whatever i like i wouldnt sell anyway, "$1 to $1000", but i do like to check on some things to gauge there worth now that i have a tool like ebay. Now if some asshole just goes out and collects mad crap from dollarbins and just goes thru each one getting a price to flip, that is mad gay and i can feel what your saying 100%.

I think tripledouble must be a human database, refer any and all Price Checks to him.

i just think he needs a hug and a

i just think he needs a hug and a

Who doesn't need a Xanax?
    Insta warm and fuzzy.....

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    They are a double egdged sword. On one hand you have the 'by the book' sellers who sell everything by book price, but at the same time, if it isn't in the book then you may well get it dirt cheap because they don't think it's worth anything. You rise and fall on your own knowledge gained from many, many sources.

With UK charity shops getting wise to 'book prices' you get ludicrous situations where records with chunks out of them, look like they have been cleaned with sandpaper are priced up ??20 - ??30 quid book price and stuff worth a fortune but not listed ??99p.

It's all swings and roundabouts. With the threshold price for LPs being listed in the Record Collector one being raised for the latest issue I think it'll work out nice for most over here.

• i just think he needs a hug and a

LOL. yeah, i was a little grumpy last night, my bad. i was spitting up yellow gobs of gravely phlegm. the whole record price guide thing is a little pet peeve of mine. carry on.

• I hate when you go into a shop and the clerk/owner pulls out one of those
    things. They act like these books are the gospel.

my friend copped the dee felice trio album for $25 because the guy priced it out of goldmine. i've found that the guides often work in your favor if you're buying lesser known stuff, but if you're looking for stones or beatles records with purple labels, large logos, etc, then you end up paying top dollar...

and on that note, i'm really curious who would spend $100 more on a record just because it has a black label instead of a red one, small logo instead of a large one, etc... OGs get my heart racing, but when there are like 15 different pressings of a record out there it seems a little ridiculous...

i can even understand wanting the mono mix instead of the stereo or vice versa, as the records often do sound different. but dropping big kwan on a record because it has sligtly different sticker on the spindle...