Do I have a contestable case? (Parking Ticket R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I was parked in front of a cafe, seated outside and saw that a parking violations officer was driving up the block and I realized that my meter had run out of time. By the time I got to the mter, the officer had noted that my meter had expired as well. I then fed the meter, in plain view of him. He had his car stopped but hadn't stepped out of the car yet.With the meter RENEWED, the officer double parked his car, stepped out, and then walked back to my car. He then checked the license plate, entered information into his violation computer and then issued me a ticket even though THE METER WAS BACK ON before he could finish inputing anything into his computer. I always thought that until the ticket was printed, you could renew your meter and shit would be cool. I opted not to say anything at the time since frankly, I've never been able to talk my way out of parking ticket before and I didn't feel like getting into it with dude on the sidewalk.But do I have a legit case to appeal this? It seems like bullshit to ticket me when there was time back on the meter before this guy even got out of his car. BTW, this is in the City of Los Angeles.

Comments

• theres your answer right there.

this is in the City of Los Angeles.

in other words, suck it up and pay.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    theres your answer right there.

this is in the City of Los Angeles.

in other words, suck it up and pay.

Real Talk???.

• if your meter had expired and they saw that... they are legally enititled to give you a ticket... even if you put more coins in before they write that ticket. as long as they see an expired meter and a car there, that's a legal ticket.

did you know that it's illegal to do the following 2 things with parking meters:

-park at a meter that still has time left on it... you're supposed to BY LAW insert more coins because that time left there IS NOT YOURS.
    -putting coins in someone elses meter to prevent them from getting a ticket is also supposedly against the law.

retarded ain't it?

worst part about it is the way that all parking violations are designed as TRAPS for us to fall into... misleading signs, etc...

on a related note (taken from: http://www.mrtraffic.com/parking.htm )

Parking Traps In LA

The city of LOS ANGELES is unfairly ticketing people. This is an illegal scam and a trap that only Joel Grover from Channel 4 news is doing anything about.

So where are the most parking traps in Los Angeles?

Here are the top spots sorted by area:

(This list was obtained from the City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation -- Parking Enforcement Division. It contains the top locations with the most confusing, faded, or misleading signs.)

Western Los Angeles:
    Windward Ave.
    10000 Glasgow Pl.
    10800 La Grange Ave.
    1200 Centinela Ave.
    1200 Glendon Ave.
    1628 Bundy
    1300 Sepulveda

San Fernando Valley:
    9262, 9282, 9288, 9306 Dorrington Ave.
    6039, 6065 Lankershim Blvd.
    5126, 5128 Klump Ave.
    4406, 4412, 4424 Babcock Ave.
    15144, 15152, 15160 Kittridge St.

Hollywood:
    1701, 1733, 1735 N. Las Palmas Ave.
    1725 N. Las Palmas Ave.
    1700 N. Las Palmas Ave.
    1002, 1004, 1006 N. Hudson Ave.
    900 Lillian Way
    2126, 2130, 2142 Gower

Southern Los Angeles:
    4907, 4911, 4923 Coliseum St.
    3500 S Figueroa St.
    2716, 2720 Severance St.
    2530 Toberman St.
    1602, 1606 Menlo Ave.

Central Los Angeles:
    225, 230 N. Hope St.
    255 N. Grand Ave.
    908, 910, 916, 917 San Julian St.
    100 Ord St.
    617 S. Hill St.

City At-Large:
    10410, 10430, 10435 Lindley Ave.
    1615, 10629, 10648, 10649 Woodbridge St.
    4245, 4246, 4250, 4251, 4266, 4267 Riverton Ave.
    4400 Talofa Ave.
    14500, 14501, 14502 Sylvan St.
    600 E Eubank

• yeah, it sucks. just a fyi, when it says street cleaning 8am to 10am and you see the sweeper run through at 8:10 am, dont think you can park. they will still give you a ticket all the way up to 10 am. you cannot dispute tickets here. like if you catch them midway opening their car door thats it you have a ticket on you. sadly, this aint sf...

• You're definitely in the right (ethically speaking). I doubt you'll win if you contest it. Cops have to meet their quotas. I was parked in Whittier some months ago, in the same spot I parked at many times before. Came out of the club a few hours later to see that my shit had been towed. A tow away sign had been TAPED to the fucking tree I parked directly in front of by some street power-washing fuckface way after I parked there. I confronted him about it and was literally seconds away from pummeling his face into the pavement when he started playing dumb. Thoughts of spending the weekend in LA County jail saved this dude from an apocalyptic beatdown. I went to the police station, which was already crowded full of angry folks who were parked on the same street and were also towed. We all gave the same argument about the signs not being there. The cops just said, "those signs were posted since yesterday". Everyone had to pay to get their car back from the impound yard. That's $180.00 to get a release form from the cops, THEN $160.00 to get your car from the tow yard. The person in front of me in line asked after paying his release form fee "Do I pay for the impound charge here too?". To which the cop replied "No sir, that's another business".

I started laughing and said out loud to the guy. "What a fuckin scam these motherfuckers have going. Another BUSINESS? Gee, I thought they were public servants. Turns out, they're learning a thing or two from the thieves they lock up." Got a couple of dirty looks from the pencil pushers. Whatever, I was still fucked out of $340.00. That shit ruined my weekend.

How much did they hit you for?

yeah, it sucks. just a fyi, when it says street cleaning 8am to 10am and you see the sweeper run through at 8:10 am, dont think you can park. they will still give you a ticket all the way up to 10 am. you cannot dispute tickets here. like if you catch them midway opening their car door thats it you have a ticket on you. sadly, this aint sf...

Wow - that's crazy. In SF, if the sweeper has gone by, it's open game. Guess LA is not, uh, SF.

Thanks to Crossings for the 411. Guess I'm scrizewed.

I'm tempted to contest anyways...just to slow down the process. Fuck the city!

• oh yeah, and if theres an old red zone but it looks like it hasnt been painted in like 50 years you will still get a ticket. they dont have to repaint anything its up to you to get out there with a magnifying glass and suss out if you might be in a red zone.

oh yeah, and if theres an old red zone but it looks like it hasnt been painted in like 50 years you will still get a ticket. they dont have to repaint anything its up to you to get out there with a magnifying glass and suss out if you might be in a red zone.

That's strange. I figured SF would have even worse parking laws but you can actually get away with a lot of shit up there.

• I'm tempted to contest anyways...just to slow down the process. Fuck the city!

FYI, youll be paying for that too come april. plus youll prolly still have to pay the parking ticket.

they dont even have a amnesty program. like if you accidentally rack up like $600 in parking tickets and are like, hey im poor, theyre like "oh, ok, you still have to pay it all off though."

pretty awesome stuff.

• dude, odub, i got pulled over at least 3 times since i been here. my crime, i shave my head. its fucken retarded down here. btw, WELCOME!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    You're definitely in the right. I doubt you'll win if you contest it. Cops have to meet their quotas. I was parked in Whittier some months ago, in the same spot I parked at may times before. Came out of the club a few hours later to see that my shit had been towed. A tow away sign had been TAPED to the fucking tree I parked directly in front of by some street power-washing fuckface way after I parked there. I confronted him about it and was literally seonds away from pummeling his face into the pavement when he started playing dumb. Thoughts of spending the weekend in LA county jail saved this dude from an apocalyptic beatdown. I went to the police station, which was already crowded full of angry folks who were parked on the same street and were also towed. We all gave the same argument about the signs not being there. The cops just said, "those signs were posted since yesterday". Everyone had to pay to get their car back from the impound yard. That's $180.00 to get a release form from the cops, THEN $160.00 to get your car from the tow yard. The person in front of me in line asked after paying his release form fee "Do I pay for the impound charge here too?". To which the cop replied "No sir, that's another business."

I started laughing and said out loud to the guy. "What a fuckin scam these motherfuckers have going. Another BUSINESS? Gee, I thought they were public servants. Turns out, they're learning a thing or two from the thieves they lock up." Got a couple of dirty looks from the pencil pushers. Whatever, I was still fucked out of $340.00. That shit ruined my weekend.

How much did they hit you for?

Most times, impound lots are owed by retired cops.

And yes, it's all a scam.

• LA WILL MAKE YOU PAY!!!

dude, odub, i got pulled over at least 3 times since i been here. my crime, i shave my head. its fucken retarded down here. btw, WELCOME!

In China, my man told me that the only people who rock shaved heads are either recent felons released from jail or monks.

He has a hard time getting cabs.

Btw, contesting it simply delays the process with a slim hope of winning. But I don't have to pay upfront and can delay paying the ticket for months. I did this in SF (where I got copious amounts of tickets) and at the very least, it's like getting an extra four months.

LA WILL MAKE YOU PAY!!!

If you had posted the LP cover, that would have been too perfect.

I should say, jsut for the sake of karma, normally, this would never be a problem because I drive a Prius and with that, you can park at an LA city meter for free (so long as it's within the time limit but even then, I've parked for hours without a ticket). Alas, today, wifey and I traded cars.