New Zealand Digging and Sights. Help Please.

jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Just wondering if any NZ strutters could help me out with some good record stores in the South Island.And does anyone know of any good music being played in Queenstown?And any sights I have to see while I'm here.Thanks in advance. Your country is beautiful.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Galaxy in Christchurch is OK, although I think my girlfriend cleaned it out of soul/funk a few months back, maybe they've re-stocked though??

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    south island is pretty dry for records, lap up that natural beauty - from where you are at you should def go thru the haast pass and check the glaciers (stay the night over there), the rugged west coast beaches, and even the pancake rocks .. Lake Hawea is the bomb too, tho its a few months before it'll be warm enough for swimming

• Hi - am a newbie. Well ok, I've been reading the boards for about a year and have finally got round to posting.

Like the other peps say, NZ is pretty hard going on the record front... having said that it makes it all the more worthwhile when you find something.

If you get to Chch - check out Galaxy. Real Groovy have a shop there too - they've been bringin in 7"s from the US (Ameoba - I think) so there's some gold there amongst the dross. Picked v. clean up doubles of Mystic Moods / Cosmic Sea & Nite-Liters / Afro Strut for $4 each a few weeks ago in their AK branch. Nothin super rare but tasty all the same.

Probably the worst organsied but most likely source in that part of the world is Penny Lane Records - think it's on Manchester St in Chch. Some stuff is over priced but they generally don't have a clue what's what so worth a dig.

If you do get to AK - check out Conch Records on Ponsonby Road. Run by super nice ex-pat English bloke called Cian. He hosts the Turnaround night up here monthly and has knowledge...

On the 'live' music fron Q/Town is all pretty much taken up by dub / d'n'b and hiphop heads... actually make that the majority of the country... but look out for Rikki Gooch (based in Wanaka - dope drummer, good DJ and knows a good tune) or visitors from WGTN. I think Duncan Croft / Zen might be around a bit - touring their Grumpy Old Men With Beards gig.

Be warned: Q/Town is backpacker central so you'll find no shortage of bars peddling cheap beer and cheeper DJs.

Best bet is to take your iPod, pour a glass of the local Pinot Noir and enjoy the view... totally stunning part of the world.

Sights: Arrowtown - try Amisfield for lunch, Peregrine Winery - crazy building, Glenorchie - stunning trip down the lake and good cafe at the end, in QT take helcopter ride to the top of the mountain. Get down to Fiordland - it's stunning and isolated... you can sea kayakl with Orcas etc. Chch - Sumner beach is nice, the city centre is getting pretty arty. If you spend any time in the top part of the Sth Island you'll be a happy man - sun, sand, seafood, wine, friendly people.

It's all pretty good.

If you get to Chch - check out Galaxy. Real Groovy have a shop there too - they've been bringin in 7"s from the US (Ameoba - I think) so there's some gold there amongst the dross. Picked v. clean up doubles of Mystic Moods / Cosmic Sea & Nite-Liters / Afro Strut for $4 each a few weeks ago in their AK branch. Nothin super rare but tasty all the same.

I am loving the $4 45 bins at the moment. PS. Nice to see another kiwi on here.

• Yeah - but man do the local heads descend like a hoard of ravens when they get freshened up!!

Was lucky enough to be sent to LA last week for work and hooked up with some people over there - grabbed some treats. Will post 'em?

You AK based Holmes? Record fair on 2nd w/end in Nov - went last time for about 10 mins on my way out of town but pulled a couple of things.

Yeah - but man do the local heads descend like a hoard of ravens when they get freshened up!!

Was lucky enough to be sent to LA last week for work and hooked up with some people over there - grabbed some treats. Will post 'em?

You AK based Holmes? Record fair on 2nd w/end in Nov - went last time for about 10 mins on my way out of town but pulled a couple of things.
    Hey, yeah I guess I am guilty of descending like a raven when the 45s get freshened, although there's so many at the moment it's taking a few weeks to get through all the boxes.
    I'm in AK. I'm out of town for the fair on the 11th. I went to the last two though. I came up on some pretty sweet things in the 3+ hours I was at the last one for. It would definitely be worth a look because the fairs seem to be getting better each time.

• Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definately check out the recommendations.