BARAK!

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
SERIOUSLYI don't even really know what to say.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Perfect timing. I'm about to take a break, have lunch and watch this.

• SERIOUSLY

I don't even really know what to say.

Please do give a brief run down for those of us who can't watch.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, it's about an hour or so - long, but worth it. Just nice to hear the cat rap you know.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    SERIOUSLY

It's an interview with Charlie Rose, and hour long or so. Way too detailed to give you a brief rundown but he talks about everything politics to his personal background, upbringing, philosoophy, spiritual beliefs and more. Very insightful and NOT FORCED, which is the best. It's been described as sitting down and talking to the "smartest friend you have."

• He is so clear. my wife tivo'ed his appearance on Oprah and O tried to scold him for not accepting a ride on her private jet when he was traveling to Africa. his reply was: he has a policy of not accepting plane rides or favors from corporations. he obviously ain't your garden variety U.S. politician.

• When was the last time listening to ANY politician speak gave you
    a sense of...relief?

A well-read, well-spoken, charismatic figure who understands nuance
    and complexity. It must be a hologram, too good to be true?

He's younger than most elected officials, yet somehow makes the rest
    of them seem like a bunch of poorly-raised children acting the ass in
    the sideyard.

YOUNGEST IN CHARGE.

• SERIOUSLY

It's an interview with Charlie Rose, and hour long or so. Way too detailed to give you a brief rundown but he talks about everything politics to his personal background, upbringing, philosoophy, spiritual beliefs and more. Very insightful and NOT FORCED, which is the best. It's been described as sitting down and talking to the "smartest friend you have."

Thanks. I wish they still did text transcripts of these. I guess I am the one who is behind the times though.

• and to create even more levity, one of his parents was white and the other black.

When was the last time listening to ANY politician speak gave you
    a sense of...relief?

A well-read, well-spoken, charismatic figure who understands nuance
    and complexity. It must be a hologram, too good to be true?

He's younger than most elected officials, yet somehow makes the rest
    of them seem like a bunch of poorly-raised children acting the ass in
    the sideyard.

YOUNGEST IN CHARGE.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    has anybody read his new book?

I'd like a SS review

I'd really like to hear someone like Rockadelic talk on it

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Yeh I am listening to this in the background. Very refereshing and it seems so far he has been able to distance himself from the traditionally swarmy sounding politician.

• i like him but since he obviously has a long future in politics, he's not nearly as ballsy as dems like dean, gore and even kerry (in '06). barak has all the tools to be a leader, but in times like these he isn't exactly someone that is gonna make me stand up and march/cheer/protest. i wouldn't complain if he is the dem nominee in 06 or further down the road, but he certainly isn't the voice of a revolution like some make him out to be.

• yeah, i caught this too.. it was great to hear...

• Meh. That was just the same touchy feely rhetoric and ends minus means pontification you get from every centre left politician ever. How people can become so enthused by a man who to this point has not exhibited even a glimmer of substance I do not know. Also 'the audacity of hope' is the corniest book title ever.

• Barak is probably the voice of conscience and that's a lot for now. we need to get our sense of purpose straight in this country again. we're uninformed and easily snowed (or b*sh would never would have been able to execute his coup). we're falling apart at the seams coz there's not enough people sacrificing and working toward making it a more humane place to live. i think Barak could inspire people in a similar way to JFK. we need more of what JFK meant when he said: "ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country".

he certainly isn't the voice of a revolution like some make him out to be.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Barak is neither Coke nor Pepsi. He's that refreshing Fiji water stuff that all the kids like.

• will he run for Prez and when? Do you think he really has a shot in 08? I'm really feeling good about the guy, but it may make more sense for him to run in 2012.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Meh. That was just the same touchy feely rhetoric and ends minus means pontification you get from every centre left politician ever. How people can become so enthused by a man who to this point has not exhibited even a glimmer of substance I do not know. Also 'the audacity of hope' is the corniest book title ever.

What would you consider "substancial" from a Democrat, much less any junior senator? Seriously.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    will he run for Prez and when? Do you think he really has a shot in 08? I'm really feeling good about the guy, but it may make more sense for him to run in 2012.

Obama already stated about a year ago that he won't run in 2008. I believe this to be a smart idea. Additionally, it's premature for candidates to declare themselves in 2006. I think that the smart move would be for Obama to lie low, letting the hype eddy up around him for half a year while he smiles, answers questions, and does his job in Congress. Eventually, say, Obama politely declines to run as it becomes obvious that more delay would divide the Dems otherwise, and after giving another well-received keynote speech at the DNC, he becomes the Democratic Vice Presidential candidate after the Dems nominate someone other than Hillary Clinton. But it's all about timing. Obama knows that he shouldn't peak too early - like the Bears in week 6. It's all about the stretch run.

Even my GOP pals in Illinois find it hard to ignore how politically beautiful this man is. My ultra-conservative family called me up to see if I was watching him when he was at the DNC was on last year. The man has the PR strength of ten pols due to his gregarious nature and scandal-free livvin'. Additionally, his openness to admitting that he's tried cocaine and has occasional struggles with his wife is unheard of these days. I'm thinking that if he times his run correctly and avoids scandal, he's going to be hard to stop in 2012 or 2016.

But it's spelled B-A-R-A-C-K.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Since I first saw him in '02 or '03 he's been on my very short list of politicians who seem more interested in doing what's right for the Country instead of just what's right for themselves.

In my own private mind garden Barack runs in '08 as an Independent and once in office either makes both parties work together to actually accomplish something or tells them all to fuck off and die.

I'd vote for him.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    What a wonderful world.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    When I lived in DC, my man knew a p.a. on the Charlie Rose show, said he drinks a bottle and a half of wine before going on air. Since I became privy, I've def seen Charlie get his _____lean on

• http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/washingt...artner=homepage

Obama weighing 2008 run

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday he was considering a run for president in 2008, backing off previous statements that he would not do so.

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress. He said he would not make a decision until after the Nov. 7 elections.

''That was how I was thinking at that time,'' said Obama, when asked on NBC's ''Meet the Press'' about his previous statements.

''Given the response I've been getting the last several months, I have thought about the possibility'' although not with any seriousness or depth, he said. ''My focus is on '06. ... After November 7, I'll sit down and consider it.''

Obama was largely unknown outside Illinois when he burst onto the national scene with a widely acclaimed address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

In recent weeks, his political stock has been rising as a potentially viable centrist candidate for president in 2008 after former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner announced earlier this month that he was bowing out of the race.

In a recent issue of Time magazine, Obama's face fills the cover next to the headline, ''Why Barack Obama Could Be The Next President.'' He is currently on a tour promoting his latest book, ''The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream.''

On Sunday, Obama dismissed notions that he might not be ready to run for president because of his limited experience in national politics. He agreed the job requires a ''certain soberness and seriousness'' and ''can't be something you pursue on the basis of vanity and ambition.''

''I'm not sure anyone is ready to be president before they're president,'' Obama said. ''I trust the judgment of the American people.

''We have a long and vigorous process. Should I decide to run, if I ever decide to, I'll be confident that I'll be run through the pages pretty well,'' Obama said.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "...I'll be confident that I'll be run through the pag[/b]es pretty well,'' Obama said.

I think "pac[/b]es" is the word the AP was loking for.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    While I would certainly vote for dude, I would like to hear his excuse for backing the most brutal bankruptcy laws ever introduced in this country when he first took office. It runs completely contrary to his big-upping the little guy (allowing the feds/corporations to confiscate homes for unpaid medical bills,etc). I remember his vote for it at the time and being incredibly disappointed, but if I am wrong, please let me know. I hope I am.