jazz artists who didn’t do funky records n the 70s

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What about Ben Webster ???

Well he died in 1973, but he played right up until his death, and he was doing the Sweden thing for the last few years, too, so he may very well have gotten into some funk. The pianist seems like he could be going for the funk in this photo from Webster's last concert, less than 3 weeks before his death:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Well he died in 1973, but he played right up until his death, and he was doing the Sweden thing for the last few years, too, so he may very well have gotten into some funk. The pianist seems like he could be going for the funk in this photo from Webster's last concert, less than 3 weeks before his death:

Nice shot, are they getting funky (?),... they're definitely in the groove, (what kinda groove though),...straight bop, or funky bop, funky straight,...or straight fonk ??? (or fonky funk !!!)

• Stan Getz?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    And honestly, Cymande and the Meters don't blend much better with each other, than they would with 60s Lee Morgan, IMO.

Disagree. Both the Meters and Cymande were different, but not "apples and oranges" different. It still added up to funk, so they'd sound good on the same mix CD - no problem.

Stan Getz?

I think my homeboy M Dejean(ski) has one or two Stan Getz albums that has a bit of fender-ish mellowfunkgroove something going on...? (Eller hvad ?)

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Stan Getz?

I think my homeboy M Dejean(ski) has one or two Stan Getz albums that has a bit of fender-ish mellowfunkgroove something going on...? (Eller hvad ?)

stan getz did that album called "captain marvel" with chick corea.

Stan Getz?

stan getz did that album called "captain marvel" with chick corea.

Kinda thinking back Stan Getz wise, I remember that I once had a Stan Getz comp LP on Columbia(I think...) brownish cover, and it had some funk on it...

and Getz also recorded bossa style albums for Verve, there might be some slightly bossafunky moments in there too...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Stan Getz?

Some of the more electrified Stan Getz albums:

Captain Marvel (72)
    Another World (78)
    Children Of The World (79)

• montymonty 420 Posts

looks like Hal Galper who played Rhodes with Cannonball from 73 through 75 and then rolled his Rhodes into the Hudson river and watched the bubbles rise as it sank...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

looks like Hal Galper who played Rhodes with Cannonball from 73 through 75 and then rolled his Rhodes into the Hudson river and watched the bubbles rise as it sank...

I was thinking he looked more like you Monty(seriously)!

Did Galper really roll his Rhodes into the river? Was that symbolic of something?

Hal Galper (the Rhodes Killer!!!)...Now Hear This (Enja 77), recorded right after the Hudson River Dive (or was it the Harlem River Dive), all acoustic (naturally),... there's a track called First Song In The Day (And I Miss My Fender),... Very nice spiritual vibe, with Terumasa Hino Cecil McBee and Tony Williams...

I was thinking he looked more like you Monty(seriously)!

Did Galper really roll his Rhodes into the river? Was that symbolic of something?

Is that Ben Webster jammin' with Stark Reality in Sweden...???????????

(...then its gotta be funky !!!)

• Ornette Coleman?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Ornette Coleman?

he made his funky moments, very angular and electronic sounding, in the early 80s("opening the caravan of dreams", etc.)...more James Chance than James Brown however. so yeah, I suppose he didnt make any funky 70s recordings...

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Max Roach ?

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I???ve always wondered, among the jazz musicians who made funky albums in the 70s, how many did so out of pressure from record companies vs. their own artistic progression to funk? IMO too many jazz artists were asked to dumb down their music in this way.

I???m defining funk in terms of rhythmic meter???which is a simple dance oriented rhythm that actually restrains a soloist???especially one accustomed to playing various forms of post-bop music.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I???ve always wondered, among the jazz musicians who made funky albums in the 70s, how many did so out of pressure from record companies vs. their own artistic progression to funk?

I???m defining funk in terms of rhythmic meter???which is a simple dance oriented rhythm that actually restrains a soloist???especially one accustomed to playing various forms of post-bop music.

To be honest, I think the younger they were, the more likely they were to relate to it. As much as I love Lou Donaldson, his funk records sound like an older bop musician trying to keep up with the times, whereas Herbie Hancock, who had youth on his side, sounded like he was right in the center of the movement.

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
    I wonder what some Andrew Hill funk would have sounded like if he would have went that direction. Dances with Funk, Black Funk, Funk Stack.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    there's some funky electric bass andrew hill jams... though mellow

I wonder what some Andrew Hill funk would have sounded like if he would have went that direction. Dances with Funk, Black Funk, Funk Stack.

I think he did some funkier material, on the Blue Note reissue series 2LP of unissued stuff One in One, there is some pretty groove oriented work, at least for what you would expect from Andrew Hill at the time.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I think he did some funkier material, on the Blue Note reissue series 2LP of unissued stuff One in One, there is some pretty groove oriented work, at least for what you would expect from Andrew Hill at the time.

yeah that's exactly the record i was thinking about.

I don't have One For One. I want to get it though, I like all of the twofers from that series that I already have. Is One For One similar to Spiral?

I don't have One For One. I want to get it though, I like all of the twofers from that series that I already have. Is One For One similar to Spiral?

I would say it's a bit groovier than Spiral(you mean the Bobby Hutcherson LP right?), but a lot of it is the usual high quality, but more abstract music Hill was known for. There's another Hill that DenmarkVZ was telling me had some funkiness to it, Grass Roots, but I have never heard it.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Andrew Hill's left hand is devastating, like McCoy Tyner on steroids..I am gonna go listen to "compulsion" rat now

I would say it's a bit groovier than Spiral(you mean the Bobby Hutcherson LP right?), but a lot of it is the usual high quality, but more abstract music Hill was known for. There's another Hill that DenmarkVZ was telling me had some funkiness to it, Grass Roots, but I have never heard it.

Nah....Hill also had a session on Arista called Spiral. It has Cecil Mcbee on bass. Is Grass Roots the one with the black and white kids hugging on the cover. If so, thats a good Hill recording.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I???ve always wondered, among the jazz musicians who made funky albums in the 70s, how many did so out of pressure from record companies vs. their own artistic progression to funk?

To be honest, I think the younger they were, the more likely they were to relate to it. As much as I love Lou Donaldson, his funk records sound like an older bop musician trying to keep up with the times, whereas Herbie Hancock, who had youth on his side, sounded like he was right in the center of the movement.

mmhhh..I have peculiar idea abt all of this..

.probably the organists (although not all of the,of course) where the ones that were most close to the IDEA behind funk (music to move, to relate to people etc) cause their style originated all from the church and the soul jazz comes straight from that.....IMHO these people had a mind setting that allowed to embrace popular styles without feeling it as a constrictions.......also in their time they never achieved "Jazz-Icon" status, so being more grounded some of them didn't mind to play just for the crowd's taste...

... this is just my perspection.....I am curious to know if anybody agree..