jazz artists who didn’t do funky records n the 70s

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
excuse me if this topic has been discussed before...I was trying to think of big jazz artists who lived through the 60s and 70s who didn't do any funky records. I'm sure there are tons but the biggest i could come up with werearchie shepp (? I think he did something funky but I couldn't remember)gerry mulligandave brubeckhank mobley (I think he might have died in the 60s though)big john patton (same)ella fitzgeraldbilly taylorI know there are some big ones but I couldn't think of them.I was also thinking about it if Charlie Parker and Coltrane lived in the 70s would they have done funky records ? I'm thinking no, but you never know.dave

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Shepp did a really good funky record. "Attica Blues".

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

your right, i just thought of that one right after i posted.

i've never heard it though so that's probably why i didn't remember it.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i actually take back ella fitzgerald too, I just found a record from europe with soem funky cuts on it.

dave

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is way harder than I first thought...

I was gonna say Lee Morgan, but I think he too died in the 60's.

hmmmmm...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is way harder than I first thought...

I was gonna say Lee Morgan, but I think he too died in the 60's.

hmmmmm...

Lee Morgan had funky moments in the 60s AND 70s.

s/t 2Lp on Blue Note w/Bobbie Humphrey and Billy Harper
    2 LP live from the Lighthouse w/Bennie Maupin

The Sidewinder and the Rumproller are both archetypal 60s funky soul jazz.

Lee Morgan got the funk.

dave brubeck
    hank mobley (I think he might have died in the 60s though)
    big john patton (same)

All these dude's did funky records, Big John Patton's entire catalog is funky. Hank Mobley did some funky soul jazz like the Flip and Reach Out! LPs on Blue Note.
    Dave Brubeck did a 70s LP with his sons that is pretty sweet Rhodes funky fusion. Live at Montreux I do believe.

It sounds like your def of FUNK is pretty limited. Horace Silver was playing funky shit in the late 50s!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Count Basie?

Dexter Gordon?

Sonny Rollins?

Jackie McLean?

Count Basie?

Dexter Gordon?

Sonny Rollins?

Jackie McLean?

Sonny had Neucleus and Jackie McLean had several LPs he did on Inner City with his son Rene in his group that had some funk, as well as a late 70s 'fusion' R&B LP called Monuments.

Dexter Gordon is a good example, how about Kenny Drew and Johnny Griffin?
    Buck Hill also stayed pretty traditionally grounded.

Herbie Hancock? Oh....wait.

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    Gerry Mulligan did a soundtrack with some funky bits:

blaxploitation.com review

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Most of the jazz artists who were labeled as avant-garde or "new thing" never got into the funkiness.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    what about art blakey?

what about art blakey?

Again, I would argue that his work has been funky from the late 50s on, but also did some electric piano driven stuff in the early 70s on Prestige and was famously sampled by Tribe Called Quest.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It sounds like your def of FUNK is pretty limited. Horace Silver was playing funky shit in the late 50s!

Guess I have that same limited belief, I reckon. Calling some jazz record from 1959 funky is like calling Louis Jordan a rap act - just 'cause it forecasted funk (rap) doesn't mean it is. You burn Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder" on a mix CD next to the Meters, Funkadelic, Cymande, the Ohio Players, and Mandrill, it wouldn't blend in at all, IMO. (But Grant Green's "Final Comedown" from '71 probably would.)

I can't speak for Davesrecords, but my def of funk as we now know it[/b] starts in '67 with James Brown and Dyke & the Blazers - that's not a concept I throw around loosely. Again, just opinion-atin'.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I never heard of any Duke Ellington funk records, have you? If you know, feel free to set me straight! He only died in '74, so that would have left enuff time for him to do a record along those lines.

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    mccoy tyner. i always wondered what his music would sound like on an electric piano...

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    monk, of course.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I never heard of any Duke Ellington funk records, have you? If you know, feel free to set me straight! He only died in '74, so that would have left enuff time for him to do a record along those lines.

The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse (Fantasy, 1971) has some funk on it.

"Didjeridoo"

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Don't forget Shepp & the family of percussion - "here comes the family". Unless that's disqualified because it's 1980s.

mccoy tyner. i always wondered what his music would sound like on an electric piano...

Tyner did some Rhodes, didn't he? Anyone remember? I swear I thought Focal Point was an electric piano record.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse (Fantasy, 1971) has some funk on it.
    "Didjeridoo"

neccesary listening

Guess I have that same limited belief, I reckon. Calling some jazz record from 1959 funky is like calling Louis Jordan a rap act - just 'cause it forecasted funk (rap) doesn't mean it is. You burn Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder" on a mix CD next to the Meters, Funkadelic, Cymande, the Ohio Players, and Mandrill, it wouldn't blend in at all, IMO. (But Grant Green's "Final Comedown" from '71 probably would.)

I can't speak for Davesrecords, but my def of funk as we now know it[/b] starts in '67 with James Brown and Dyke & the Blazers - that's not a concept I throw around loosely. Again, just opinion-atin'.

I guess in the end it's all semantics, terms get appropriated and ultimately defined through all sorts of circumstance. I agree, if James Brown-circa-1969thru1975 is the bellweather for 'funk-as-we-know-it'(which is a fair assessment), then yes, Horace Silver or Lee Morgan's early 60s output is of little interest.

BUT...since this is a discussion specifically regarding which Jazz artists dabbled in the funk in the 60s and 70s, I just can't see leaving 'the Sidewinder' or 'Filthy McNasty' out of the discussion. It has relevance based on who is the primary subject of discussion. I could be wrong, but the first popular usage of the word 'funk' in print was probably about certain strains of jazz.

And honestly, Cymande and the Meters don't blend much better with each other, than they would with 60s Lee Morgan, IMO.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Count Basie?

Count Basie did an album on Happy Tiger called Basie Does the Beatles or something like that. LP is from either '69 or 70 and some of them covers got some funk to them

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    billy taylor?

"O brother where are you?" on MPS...funky, along the same lines of Gene Ammons "Jug Eyes"

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    how about Kenny Drew and Johnny Griffin?

Kenny Drew is on Dizzy Gillespie's The source, ca. 1970, pounding the keys

Johnny Griffin was the head behind Kenny Clarke/Francis Bolland Bigband ?

Then he did some kind of funky stuff!

Your question was very good Dave !!!!

so now all we need is to find a Dexter Gordon cover of "Cissy Strut" and we'll have de-bunked every guess!

I can appreciate the "funkiness" of early-mid 60's jazz, but I agree that this thread is more along the lines of jazz guys who "went funk" in the late 60's-70's, and it amazes me that we are having trouble coming up with any that stayed straight bop/swing/etc...it just shows how strong funk was at the time.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Kenny Dorham ? mid to late 60s perhaps even 70s ?

he did some nice bossa/latin but i didn't think he went 'funk'.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Count Basie?

Count Basie did an album on Happy Tiger called Basie Does the Beatles or something like that. LP is from either '69 or 70 and some of them covers got some funk to them

The sleaziest version of Come Together I ever heard

so now all we need is to find a Dexter Gordon cover of "Cissy Strut" and we'll have de-bunked every guess!

Actually, felloow Strutter Dreskieboogie showed me some TV footage from DR/Denmark's National TV of Dexter playin Watermelon man with a Danish high school band around 1969. Heavy!

The beauty of that post is that it could be the absolute truth, or complete and utter bullshit - yet, it's still hilarious either way!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Actually, felloow Strutter Dreskieboogie showed me some TV footage from DR/Denmark's National TV of Dexter playin Watermelon man with a Danish high school band around 1969. Heavy!

The beauty of that post is that it could be the absolute truth, or complete and utter bullshit - yet, it's still hilarious either way!

Sounds truthful !

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I remember checking out some (black/white late 60's)TV footage with Dexter (years ago) that was real dope, (funky, not sure...) but the shit was definitely some shit !!! Not straight ahead jazz...

What about Ben Webster ???