Diddy - Press Play

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
OK so I finally listened to the whole thing. The second half is my favorite part without a doubt. With all the R&B vocalists, it sounds like some sort of 80s nu-wave influence that i can't quite place (Andy kellman, who wrote the excellent AllMusic review, referenced this Playgroup album, which I've never heard: - the song with Brandy stands out, drum&bass meets a DeBeers commercial aesthetic (mature w/ expensive formal attire, classy not trashy) and esp. on the later tracks Diddy's forced pop-rap sounds even more like a throwback and less ... boring. The weakest tracks are at the beginning, the Pharoahe one (which is just 'ok') and the one after it, "Hold Up," which is just terrible. Diddy isn't a good rapper, but he's an enjoyable enough one as long as he keeps it interesting (meaning the lyrics & or beat need to keep everything going so his pop-rap style works). The timbaland track is incredible (there's only one that's all Timbo, and its with some new R&B chick named Keri who is v. good, although his 'associate' Danja produced two of the best tracks), and the R&B conclusion is really the albums heart, this cold sheen with those weird 80s reverb-y noise gated drums (on "Through the Pain") and of course that Mary J. track with Rich Harrison is one of Harrison's best soul tracks yet - those thumping, organic drums and this "out" horn sample. This is v. much adult-contempo soul, if Diddy decided to go Sade (which isn't quite what I was expecting but is great nonetheless) and no this album isn't perfect by any means - Like I said, Diddy's rapping can be very boring (although I think he genuinely rips the Nas track and the intro). But to me the appeal of a Diddy album is about how he throws money around, the expensive ghostwriters (its fun to play "who wrote this" - the obvious one is Pharoahe but I'm almost positive track 3 is Jay-Z or a jigga biter, and the Brandy track actually kind of sounds like Eminem, rhyme scheme is familiar that way + 'personal' introspective relationship lyrics), recruiting the biggest singers in R&B, getting Timbaland, Twista and Shawnna on the same track (and then having the balls to call it "Diddy Rock" despite him being the least talented dude on it!) and that Ciara and Big Boi track is straight 80s goth nu-wave over bass 808s. I hope that doesnt sound too Breihan.Anyway all in all its a good, enjoyable album w/ a largely unified sound and I recommend it.

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I take it no one's checked the whole album yet?

• please to post microwaveable mp3s of the good songs

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Haven't heard Press Play but that Playgroup album is OK. I seem to remember a fairly whitebread hip-house song that would work very well at the clurb. Dude also did a DJ Kicks mix.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I really like it. I want to give it a listen on some better speakers than my office provides before I really review it. Much better than Timberlake's album (which I liked except for Sexyback). I'll definitely be picking this up.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    please to post microwaveable mp3s of the good songs
    Sry I'm at work : (

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts

downloading now
    torrent: http://btjunkie.org/torrent?do=stat&id=3952cd1f22f0a5ffdd76267fc79e80de7f8fe7360592

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I really like it. I want to give it a listen on some better speakers than my office provides before I really review it. Much better than Timberlake's album (which I liked except for Sexyback). I'll definitely be picking this up.

Be sure to cop that extra grown and sexy special edition, bound up as a little 5 x 10 book... looks real good on one's dresser next to one's array of fine colognes.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Be sure to cop that extra grown and sexy special edition, bound up as a little 5 x 10 book... looks real good on one's dresser next to one's array of fine colognes.
    unforgiveable

• I really like it. Much better than Timberlake's album

I never thought I'd catch myself agreeing with a sentiment like this.

It pains me to admit this after all the clowning I did, but the album is schockingly good. Most of the cuts I was lukewarm on sound much better in the context of the full album.

I still hate that Pharoah Monch karaoke schitt, though.

• I'm confused why there's so much buzz over this album on a website populated with most people pushing 30, especially when Puff has, by and large, never created a song that didn't borrow--if not steal wholesale--from another artist.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    It pains me to admit this after all the clowning I did, but the album is schockingly good. Most of the cuts I was lukewarm on sound much better in the context of the full album.

Exactly, it's one of the most coherent albums I've heard in a while. I've only been listening to the MP3 promo that got leaked. Has the album been released yet? The only thing I could have done without was the Tears For Fears intro. It sounds like a bad mash-up as Diddy is off que through much of the song. Luckily his rhymes are dope so I didn't totally dismiss it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    My love and respect for Diddy know no beginning but I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's a highly enjoyable album.

Listen without prejudice people.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    My love and respect for Diddy know no beginning

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I don't get it. Diddy sucks. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Madonna, Elton John, Diddy, the White Stripes, Phil Collins... they all suck. I can't stand their music.

They don't deserve to be successful. They don't deserve to be that rich. I'm neither jealous nor mad though.

Just saying. There are thousands of people making better music. Why don't you guys go to a local concert and check out some new talented bands instead of talking about Diddy and Justin Timberlake.

Be honest! You don't really like their music, right?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    jigga biter

hahahahahahahahahahaha... that's funny! never heard that before. jigga biter!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like all the guest tracks but really can't stand most of diddy's rapping. old diddy was bad but some of his lines would be like "man, that's bad but still kinda dope." this shit is just "man, this shit is bad." those lost love ballad tracks are embarassingly corny. even timbaland was brought down on this shit. i mean none of his hooks have ever been some next level shit but this burger and fries shit? da fuck is that shit????

• I don't get it. Diddy sucks. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Madonna, Elton John, Diddy, the White Stripes, Phil Collins... they all suck. I can't stand their music.

They don't deserve to be successful. They don't deserve to be that rich. I'm neither jealous nor mad though.

Just saying. There are thousands of people making better music. Why don't you guys go to a local concert and check out some new talented bands instead of talking about Diddy and Justin Timberlake.

I drew the line when I stopped hating on folks just because they were rich or successful. And most band these days - including locals - usually only have 1-3 hot tracks and 10 filler tracks. Things go in cycles, and just like the 50's and 60's we're in a singles market again. So it's refreshing to be able to put on an album and not have to skip songs 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 12.

And I'm being honest, I'm as shocked as you are that I'm actually liking this album. I was always the DJ that fools would come up to and say "What?!?! How can you be a DJ and not have any Biggie/Tupac/Snoop/Puffy/Mase/Dipset/etc."

• I don't get it. Diddy sucks. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Madonna ... Diddy...JT...they all suck..

for real. some of the threads on hear lately have been suspect on a stick.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Although I wouldn't say I was a fan..
    I think Elton should get some respect for being a fine songwriter.
    White Stripes are just an average but quirky rock band that got hyped, I have no hate.
    Phil Collins gets respect for 2 reasons; being part early Genesis, any band in which the lead singer comes out dressed as a flower and tells stories, whilst still managing to be successful, deserves some respect. And second, the scene in American Psycho, where he extols the beauty of a Collins track to his latest victims.
    Madge and Diddy are just hardworking business people, they deserve all the commercial success they work for. Although no artistic respect. On the other hand the people who write for them are often very talented.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

took the words right out of my mouth.

took the words right out of my mouth.

Have any of you hatters actually heard the album?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

no. i am ready to like a couple of tracks just as freaks of nature (a la my love by JT and promiscuous by furtado) but the possibility of liking a whole record by this cheeseball will really mess with how i've come to understand the world at large.

i know music is music is music, but you know,

You have to draw a line somewhere.

...i guess i will have to find a balance.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Waitaminute, something's wrong here???

=

no. i am ready to like a couple of tracks just as freaks of nature (a la my love by JT and promiscuous by furtado) but the possibility of liking a whole record by this cheeseball will really mess with how i've come to understand the world at large.

i know music is music is music, but you know,

You have to draw a line somewhere.

...i guess i will have to find a balance.

Well, as everyone knows, I am all for the drawing of lines. I just don't understand why Puff has to be where the line is drawn... it's not like he hasn't been responsible for good rap records in the past.

I can't believe dudes seriously want to lump him in with Elton John and Phill Collins... some people are still hating like it's 1997 and they're 17 years old. I would like to remind these people that the lines they were using to cross Puff out at that time were being drawn in favor of such lasting gems as the Lyricist Longe compilation.

I just don't understand why Puff has to be where the line is drawn... it's not like he hasn't been responsible for good rap records in the past.

agreed - not saying it makes sense but dude makes me cringe - from the names to the furs to more recent musical endeavours. i will be visiting a CD listening station near me soon.

I just don't understand why Puff has to be where the line is drawn... it's not like he hasn't been responsible for good rap records in the past.

agreed - not saying it makes sense but dude makes me cringe - from the names to the furs to more recent musical endeavours. i will be visiting a CD listening station near me soon.

Well, yeah, one must banish the Proactive endorsements and the drunken Youtube episodes from one's mind in order to enjoy this album.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I like this album. It's been in steady rotation since someone posted it here a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it's pop music (cool with me). Yes, Diddy can't rap for shit. Yes, some of it is corny as hell. Yes, I think it's musically interesting. Curveballs get thrown. Some of the songs had me going "wtf" the first time I heard it. And not "wtf, he's looping up David Booey", but "wtf, this is pretty clever". Studio goons came with some shit.

Then I look at a clip like the one NZ posted, and I want to take back my burgeoning appreciation. Oy vey, this guy is too much. Whatever, it's just a fun album, no more, no less.

Then I look at a clip like the one NZ posted

reminds me of guys who play all sensitive and deep and vulnerable and "this really means a lot to me" when they're trying to get a chick into bed.

eww.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I prefer to draw my lines based on what I think of the music rather than some strange message board shit-talking peer pressure.