You know what? That Nicole Willis shit rules!

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk

Comments

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Possibly one of the top 3 records to come out of our country ever....
    She's from Brooklyn originally though.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Since I haven't heard it, let me go ahead and tell you all about it...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    yes. this record is fucking awesome.

• yes indeed. Timmion has consistantly put out top shelf records for the last 4 or 5 years..didier's sound spectrum, the herb johnson stuff, ernie hawks and the soul i. g.s, the aforementioned Nicole Willis sides....I havent heard a bad record from the funky finnish.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    WOW! This is really good and much different then I expected.

I've seen this on the DG website, but never got around to giving it a proper listen. I did the same thing w/ the Didiers Sound Spectrum lp and waited til it was too late to grab the lp.

Anywhere in the states still have the lp in stock?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this is nice oliver. thanks, i've never heard of her

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You're not alone. Even though this album came out in 2005, I think limited U.S. distribution (at the time) really prevented it from getting as much shine as say, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. As much as I like Jones and the DK, I have to say this Willis/S.I. album is, by far, the best damn thing I've heard from any so-called "nuevo-soul" group. As some of you can probably hear, there's such an amazing diveresity in R&B/soul styles that they put together here and rather than creating songs that "song like stuff back in the day" they just manage to be really great songs in their own right without too cloying a throwback flavor.

It's just a completely fan-fucking-tastic album for soul fans.

the entire album was produced by didier of the sound spectrum fame.
    the drummer on the record is lurking in the wants/trades section trying to complete his stang/all platinum collection..

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    You'll need to check out more euro radio shows like Gilles Peterson's "Worldwide", Compost Radio show etc. Online @ bbc.co.uk and samurai.fm.

Pretty well-known lp and 7" singles in Europe.

soul investigators theme

they did 2 short uk tours and recorded in the bbc studios on both occasions... for peterson i suppose.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    you guys are sleeping deep!!! Nicole Willios rules since early spring over here. I totally agree that this is like the best "new funk/soul" album. But they can't compete with Mrs.Jones live...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I love this record, SO SO good!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    One of the few new LPs I "specifically hunted down" when I was in London. So great.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    For what it's worth, I ordered my last year directly from Timmion...paid a little more but it wasnt available from DustyGroove at the time. From what I understand, it sells out real quick whenever places have it....There is also a "7 of "If this Aint Love.." that includes an instrumental....

http://www.timmion.com/records/trlp_002.aspx

This is a great LP.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    you guys are sleeping

Pick it up ASAP if you haven't already.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you guys are sleeping

I just called my girl at the rackord store and told her to put a copy on hold for me

you guys are sleeping

I just called my girl at the rackord store and told her to put a copy on hold for me

I heartily endorse this decision.

• I've been wanting to pick this up for a while but Amoeba and Rasputins haven't stocked it as far as I've seen. Has anyone seen it at any Bay Area record stores? Maybe Groove Merchant has it...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

What country? and that's Planet Brooklyn!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I've been wanting to pick this up for a while but Amoeba and Rasputins haven't stocked it as far as I've seen. Has anyone seen it at any Bay Area record stores? Maybe Groove Merchant has it...

I remember seeing this at the Amoeba on Haight (SF) this past week. I think they had both the vinyl and CD versions.

SG

What country? and that's Planet Brooklyn!

Finland.

And Jesse - I'm pretty sure Chris has a copy at the GM.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

I've seen this on the DG website, but never got around to giving it a proper listen. I did the same thing w/ the Didiers Sound Spectrum lp and waited til it was too late to grab the lp.

I read that the Didiers SS LP was getting repressed

I read that the Didiers SS LP was getting repressed
    I certainly hope so. This would be so much nicer to have on vinyl compared to the mp3s I have now.

• Jazzsucka had the GM well stocked on these until he moved back home to Finland. I can give an update soon on that front. A great record, suprised so many have not yet peeped it considering it's visibility and reputation. I only wish the Bettye Lavette lp had been so good...

Speaking of, what newly recorded raw vocal soul lps are there worth checking? I've been catching a lot of cool singles here and there but lp-wise it seems to be mostly instrumental stuff. I think Faith Evans should do more on this front 'cause that one from last year was suprisingly killer.

Recent but older vocal stuff I've been digging: Choklate, Alice Russell, Bajka, Sharon, Joe Bataan, Banda Uniao Black, Bronx River Parkway, i dunno I'm forgetting some stuff.

Any ballad or group stuff worth mentioning?

Jazzsucka had the GM well stocked on these until he moved back home to Finland. I can give an update soon on that front. A great record, suprised so many have not yet peeped it considering it's visibility and reputation. I only wish the Bettye Lavette lp had been so good...

Speaking of, what newly recorded raw vocal soul lps are there worth checking? I've been catching a lot of cool singles here and there but lp-wise it seems to be mostly instrumental stuff. I think Faith Evans should do more on this front 'cause that one from last year was suprisingly killer.

Recent but older vocal stuff I've been digging: Choklate, Alice Russell, Bajka, Sharon, Joe Bataan, Banda Uniao Black, Bronx River Parkway, i dunno I'm forgetting some stuff.

Any ballad or group stuff worth mentioning?

I had higher hopes for the Spanky Wilson + Quantic CD but while it's not bad...it also doesn't pop my dome.

What about the recent Candi Staton LP?

• Yeah, that's what I've heard from a couple people about it~~~ but damn if that doesn't sound like a dope collab.

Yeah, that's what I've heard from a couple people about it~~~ but damn if that doesn't sound like a dope collab.

Sayin - looks great on paper but the execution just wasn't quite there. Needed more ballads me thinks.

• What about the recent Candi Staton LP?

this one?

I like to hear it.

• I've tried contacting timmion for wholesale but to no avail... can someone tell them to holler at a player?

Roisto, Sampo, Olski... haelp