R.I.P. Freddy Fender aka Baldemar Huerta

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003254922I've posted this here before (with very little response), but here's my personal VHS rip of the Freddy Fender's scene in Short Eyes where he covers Curtis' "Break It Down." I looooove this stripped-down, bangin'-beats-on-prison-tables version: Freddy Fender "Break It Down" (ripped from Short Eyes VHS) Herm

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003254922

I've posted this here before (with very little response), but here's my personal VHS rip of the Freddy Fender's scene in Short Eyes where he covers Curtis' "Break It Down." I looooove this stripped-down, bangin'-beats-on-prison-tables version:
    Freddy Fender "Break It Down" (ripped from Short Eyes VHS)

Herm

Known as "El Be-Bop Kid" in the late 50's and some of his rockabilly cuts from that period are great. Also rumored to be behind the infamous "Satan & The Deciples" LP on Goldband. Lived a hell of a life and crammed about three lifetimes into 69 years.

R.I.P.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That's funny - when I saw the thread title, for some reason, the first thing I thought of was "Short Eyes". I love the Curtis O.S.T., but I've never seen the movie or heard Freddy's rendition of this song. Thanks for posting the clip, I must have missed it the first time around.

R.I.P. Mr. Huerta.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Descanse en Paz, troubador querida.

• In 1992 I was at the old 9:30 Club here in DC for a Los Lobos show. The capital was full of bands here for Clinton's first inauguration. That weekend I also saw Etta James, Charlie Palmieri, Chaka Khan and Buckwheat Zydeco.
    The 9:30 was packed/oversold that night but I managed to find a good spot near the stage. I' ve always thought that Los Lobos are a terribly underrated live band but about halfway through their set Freddie Fender, Flaco Jimenez and Doug Sahm walk out on stage and start jamming on old Mexican folks tunes. For the next hour and a half we were treated to a night of kickass texmexpsychfolkmariachi that I'll never forget. Simply amazing music. Wasted days and wasted nights indeed!
    Gracias Hombre

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In 1992 I was at the old 9:30 Club here in DC for a Los Lobos show. The capital was full of bands here for Clinton's first inauguration. That weekend I also saw Etta James, Charlie Palmieri, Chaka Khan and Buckwheat Zydeco.
    The 9:30 was packed/oversold that night but I managed to find a good spot near the stage. I' ve always thought that Los Lobos are a terribly underrated live band but about halfway through their set Freddie Fender, Flaco Jimenez and Doug Sahm walk out on stage and start jamming on old Mexican folks tunes. For the next hour and a half we were treated to a night of kickass texmexpsychfolkmariachi that I'll never forget. Simply amazing music. Wasted days and wasted nights indeed!
    Gracias Hombre

Indeed.....and he's reunited with Doug Sahm in the R&R afterlife......I spent hours talking baseball with Doug...he was a Detroit Tiger fan.....I'm sure he and Freddy will be drinking some Cerveza and watching the World Series!!

• Lived a hell of a life and crammed about three lifetimes into 69 years.

Very few wasted days or nights, I'm sure.

A world of respect to a true Texas legend. I had the good fortune to see him perform with the Texas Tornadoes 15 years ago. Killer, killer stuff.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I've posted this here before (with very little response), but here's my personal VHS rip of the Freddy Fender's scene in Short Eyes where he covers Curtis' "Break It Down." I looooove this stripped-down, bangin'-beats-on-prison-tables version:
    Freddy Fender "Break It Down" (ripped from Short Eyes VHS)

That's crazy, I recorded his performace off of the DVD as well a while back and was just listening to it a few weeks ago. Great stuff. RIP

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As someone who had to listen to a lot of country top 40 in the 70s Freddy was a bright blessing.I almost always buy his hit records when I see them in the dollar bin. Listen to the next tear drop then slap $3.00 on it and let sit in my box until the record buying public catches up.

• Vaya con Dios. This next teardrop's for you.

• RIP

• As someone who had to listen to a lot of country top 40 in the 70s Freddy was a bright blessing.

Lest we forget, he was also great at funky, greasy R&B:

Freddie Fender - "Boogaloo en Monterrey"