WHO CARES ABOUT BREAKS ANYMORE??

2»

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    man you're gonna get Soulman all up in a frenzy again

i still care DEEPLY and passionately about breaks. I don't give a fuck about what the rest of the song sounds like. In fact, I enjoy terrible, horrible, unlistenable songs with dope drumbreaks in the middle of them far more than any other form of music ever recorded.

i'm serious about this. don't make jokes about it either this time, it's something that means more to me than you will ever know

• 2. barbara mcnair "hunter gets captured by the game"

• Wishbone Ash - Trust in You

thats the joint!!!! that song is

i listened to some breaks this morning while i ate my breakfast
    J.Hines-victory Strut
    Lamont Dozier - take off your make up
    something on a italian library and
    something on the os Brazoes joint

breaks get me hyped the fuck up!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm going to name all my children after breaks. My first kid will be "the Mexican break". I don't care if they get beat up over it either. If they cry about it I'll just say, "why can't you be tuff like the break I named you after, damnit?". Even if it's a girl.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm going to name all my children after breaks. My first kid will be "the Mexican break". I don't care if they get beat up over it either. If they cry about it I'll just say, "why can't you be tuff like the break I named you after, damnit?". Even if it's a girl.

I was already secretly planning to do this myself. Now I can stand by my man hcrink in support of the time-honoured tradition of 'naming kids after breaks!'

• I'm going to name all my children after breaks. My first kid will be "the Mexican break". I don't care if they get beat up over it either. If they cry about it I'll just say, "why can't you be tuff like the break I named you after, damnit?". Even if it's a girl.

i'm with you. my fist born will be called "apache"
    peace, stein. . .

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    man you're gonna get Soulman all up in a frenzy again

i still care DEEPLY and passionately about breaks. I don't give a fuck about what the rest of the song sounds like. In fact, I enjoy terrible, horrible, unlistenable songs with dope drumbreaks in the middle of them far more than any other form of music ever recorded.

i'm serious about this. don't make jokes about it either this time, it's something that means more to me than you will ever know

Ya gotta be down with that. I love the "what the fuck is that bad ass shit doing on this doo doo record" feeling. A drummer friend of mine who didn't know anything about breaks asked me to show him what breaks were. The first thing I played him was Anne Murry PYHITH and he was just like "what the fuck, play that again!" Then ran him through a bunch of stuff that's a killer break but lame some and that quickly showed him why they are "breaks".

I love killer funk, but you know that's going to be killer and have a sweet break etc. I'd much rather be at the

........I'm wasting my fucking time with this recor..............holy fuck!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Breakz on kidz rekkidz iz where itz at

and yet

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I loooooooves me some breakbeats. That said, my top five are (in no particular order):

1. "Don't Make Hurtin' Me a Habit"-The Marvalettes.
    2. "Letha"-Charles Earland.
    3. "What is Soul"-Ben E. King.
    4. "Kool is Back"-Funk, Inc.
    5. "Spinning Wheel"-Lonnie Smith.

Honorable Mentions:

6. "Behind the Wall of Sleep"-Black Sabbath.
    7. "Tuck's Theme"-Bill Deal & the Rhondels.
    8. "It's a New Day"-Skullsnaps.
    9. "Hihache"-Lafayette Afro-Rock Band.
    10. "Midnight Theme"-Manzel.

Favorite Drum Fill: "Trespassin'"-The Ohio Players.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Pot Liquor (Janus)

my 2 favorite "i hope no ones heard these" breaks are

Horse-one of the sickest breaks i ever found. complete with "HUHs" and "uhhhhs"

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4034618164

and

some kids record called Belly Button Lint

• man you're gonna get Soulman all up in a frenzy again

ditto!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I care about breaks, and I certainly care about all the dope new RnB songs out there based on heavy breaks. Current favourite breaks:
    Keef James "Changing days"
    Crystal Mansion "Somebody oughta turn your head around"
    Please - "Ego tripping"
    Ramsey Lewis - "Back in the USSR"
    Plus a recent Israeli on, the guy's called Uzi or something similar, he's got the Leo Sayer hairstyle going - a good look.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    doodoo w/ drums.

power of zeus

That whole song is dope!

My all-time favorite is probably Whatnauts "Why Can't People Be Colors Too".

• I still love breaks and will still buy a shitty record for a decent drum break but these days the record must be cheapish.
    There was a time when I was fiendin after drum breaks and wound spend mad ?? them.
    These days if it???s a little pricey the whole track must be good.

My latest break:

(file under novelty breaks, its not hard /banging but I could still toprock to it)

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I still love the breaks & they helped put me up on sooooo much good music. I only jus copped a copy of boz scaggs' lp.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    breakz are dope.
    I like drum&bass, so: amen brother galore please (I would accept tighten up, think and funky drummer as well )!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I do !!!!! I buy 'em, I use 'em, thats what they are for or not ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• what up, hawkeye! how r u? it was great to meet you man in Berlin during popkomm. have u aired the interview yet? if so, can you send me a link?

peace,
    amir

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i'm with you. my fist born will be called "apache"
    peace, stein. . .

Apache Einstein. Not even a dynamic name like Max Power can fuck with that.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    hey David Wingate

check your pm's!

• For the most part, I really, really don't. After being hardcore about it for a long time, I gave up buying records for breaks back in about 1996-- since then, I mostly only buy or hold onto records if there are complete songs I like.

That said, I buy a lot of shit blind and I can't help but get geeked when I'm listening to a terrible, horrible, unlistenable record I've never seen before and then, like two-and-a-half minutes in there's a sick and distinctive break that I don't think many other people know.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    breakz are dope.
    I like drum&bass, so: amen brother galore please (I would accept tighten up, think and funky drummer as well )!

Considering I found the Amen, Brother 45 today and was thrilled, yeah, I still love breaks.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

........I'm wasting my fucking time with this recor..............holy fuck!

That little bit of a record that creams my jeans...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Summer of 72 Scorpio

tooooooooo late, i already used it on the breakbeatraer EP!! hahahahaha!!!!