Spinemagazine.com comes correct again (JZR)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Radio rip of Jay-Z's 'Kingdom Come' from the Funkmaster Flex show. Just Blaze has actually had a version of this beat on his myspace page for months. I'm glad he did something with it.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Radio rip of Jay-Z's 'Kingdom Come' from the Funkmaster Flex show. Just Blaze has actually had a version of this beat on his myspace page for months. I'm glad he did something with it.

some background

• The "Superfreak" chop is dope, but I wish he'd done something different with the drums.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Oh shit, it's the "Superfreak" beat? M'man DJ Centipede hipped me to that when it was on Just Blaze's MySpace a couple months ago...it really fucked my head up. Being able to take a joint like "Superfreak" that everybody and their mama knows and flip it into something that sounds that different is some amazing shit to me.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    This is hot fucking fire. If you don't think so you don't like rap.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

This is my favorite track in a minute! The beat is

Kudos to Just Blaze!

This reads like a personal challenge to Archaic.

What's the over/under on the response containing the phrase "pop disco trash"?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    "pop disco trash"?

that's a bad thing?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    fresh fucking beat.

I wanna hear the whole album already!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Oh shit, that beat is just insane. Just Blaze godamnit!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Did I spot a line about the HP commercial in there?

The beat is absolute

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    do you like it, faux? this record is THAT REAL SCHITT. why would you like it, really?

do you like it, faux? this record is THAT REAL SCHITT. why would you like it, really?

Please be serious. Of course I like it.

oh, i forgot... Jay-Z still gets a pass, he and only he can do songs with old tired samples chopped up and its okay, right? maybe Ghostface too, or was his pass revoked? no other rappers, though, right? i'm trying to understand, since you are the leading hip hop authority and all

oh, i forgot... Jay-Z still gets a pass, he and only he can do songs with old tired samples chopped up and its okay, right? maybe Ghostface too, or was his pass revoked? no other rappers, though, right? i'm trying to understand, since you are the leading hip hop authority and all

This routine is tiresome, Phill. Thankyou for recognizing my authority, though.

This routine is tiresome, Phill. Thankyou for recognizing my authority, though.

i'm just trying to understand, o' great one! your refusal to explain truly disappoints me, but oh well... maybe someday i'll gain your knowledge and wisdom on all things related to hip hop music. Although if i don't gain it from you i don't know where i'll get it from. Thanks anyway.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    WHATS BEEF SON??!!!???

anyways this shit is real dope. Flipping superfreak into some raw shit like this is a pretty difficult task

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Just Blaze is killing it right now.

• goddamn, I cant wait for the Jay mixtapes(the good ones, that is) and album to drop. CANT FUCKING WAIT!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just Blaze is killing it right now.

If that's the case, why was the beat for "Show 'Em What You Got" so underbaked?

The new track is cool though.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    i'm just trying to understand, o' great one! your refusal to explain truly disappoints me, but oh well... maybe someday i'll gain your knowledge and wisdom on all things related to hip hop music. Although if i don't gain it from you i don't know where i'll get it from. Thanks anyway.

dude, don't be such a try-hard.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    "I think Peter Gunz might have been here"

cool

dude, don't be such a try-hard.

i have no idea what this means, pee pee, but i would assume that this is good advice for me from a knowledgeable persons. can YOU also teach me all there is to know about hip hop? I need a formal education, I am very and i can tell that you are a crazy wisdom master. I want to learn

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    so.... i guess saigons album is never gonna come out huh? or it's coming out with alot more alchemist beats than expected. damn just blaze is killing everything.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    alot more alchemist beats than expected

...and BEATDAWG gets to build that extension on his house!

• fire nugget.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    fire nugget.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I just wish Sean Carter would have let Just Blaze produce the entire LP!! I have a bad feeling that there are going to be some real tracks on there.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its hot.

We all know the beat was gonna be hot.

Who wants to break down the lyrics though?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Some perspective from Young Guru, engineer:

???The best thing that I can tell you that there???s a song called ???Kingdom Come??? on the album, which is the title of the album. The way that record came about was from a good friend of mine from college, Lance Williams, he???s one of those dudes that can memorize, he knows how many mics every album ever got. We???re both comic book guys and we???re talking about Kingdom Come which is a comic book that came out about Superman. He was just like, ???Isn???t it weird where hip-hop is at right now, it???s like Kingdom Come and Jay needs to be like Superman.??? I was like, ???You???re right.??? I hadn???t read Kingdom Come in so long so I went
    out and bought it and read it. And I???m like ???Oh shit! It???s parallel, it???s crazy.??? So I???m telling Jay the idea, I gave him the book and he got it. That???s why I love that song because one of the things that Superman doesn???t realize in the comic book is, not only how ill he is as a superhero but his influence on inspiring the rest of his peers that are superheroes. So when Superman jets and says, ???Y???all shittin??? on me, y???all want the niggas that???s gon??? kill the people and I don???t kill my enemies, I catch ???em and, cool y???all deal with ???em. I???m good.??? Wonder Woman comes and she???s like ???It ain???t just you doing what you do but Green Lantern ain???t doing his thing no more, The Flash ain???t doing his thing, you???re the leader, you inspire them to keep going and doing what they do.???[/b] That???s where the parallel comes in. And Jay can take an idea and incorporate it into a song better than anybody that I know and when he finally vocalized it, I felt it was exactly what I was thinking about.

???He???s saying, ???I don???t know what life would be in H-I-P-H-O-P without the boy H-O-V not only N-Y-C, I???m hip-hop???s savior, so after this flow you might owe me a favor.??? It???s bringing New York back but it???s also bringing that hardcore hip-hop shit back on top of a beat where Just takes a sample that was used for probably the most pop rap record ever. All the parallels are in there. It???s just a really good record and the people are gonna get it on one level and then a couple weeks later they???ll get it on another level and then they???ll really listen and get every single thing he???s saying in there. I always say he raps on three different levels and you???re gonna get it, eventually.???

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts