new M.I.A.

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Bmore + baile = WORKS FOR ME!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    ug. she's on blast ala whitebelts... taken from pitchfork

I won't even try to get into the origin of this song or what it might mean for the future of the internet. All I know is former DFA Records guy, James Stair, posted it to his blog from Diplo's MySpace, and the title refers not to some imperialist-slaying fashion missile but a shitty British tuner car-- a Ford Fiesta, specifically. You figure out what that means to you.

The song itself might seem obvious to those who stalk Hollertrons: It's got the spastic staccato airhorns of Rio baile funk and the B-more breaks which Diplo's been importing for a few years now. More of the same globalist genre-blending maybe, but, in comparison to Arular, it's pretty brutal and by far the most legitimately jacking M.I.A. track since Diplo twerked "Uraqt" for her on Piracy Funds Terrorism. Think Kelis' "Blindfold Me" pitched to a speed that is just beyond your level of dancefloor comfort. Add to that M.I.A.'s new voice-- a jaded monotone that mumbles non-sequiturs like "Where were you in '92?" and "MTV not ADD"-- and the haters finally get what they wanted: A real club banger without all that terrorist banshee wailing.

• Is it me, or does her "new vocal style" sound exactly like homegirl who used to be down with Tricky?

however, it's still a hot track, imo.

• legitimately jacking

• legitimately lacking[/b]

• cue 1001 really shitty remixes of this track in 5....4....3....2....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Is it me, or does her "new vocal style" sound exactly like Tricky?

perhaps a diss to Fergie?

love the glass/bottle smashing sound effect though, that will never get old

go diplo!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    the beat is pure fire
    sampling black sheep
    diplo done it again

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Is it me, or does her "new vocal style" sound exactly like homegirl who used to be down with Tricky?

however, it's still a hot track, imo.

Yeah it's definitely very Topley-Bird but then that's probably as much to do with her accent in general then any deliberate biting. Like Diplo's beat - has kept the themes from the last album - but would have preferred it with MIA's "old vocal style" on top of it.