Slowstrut

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Has anyone else been having problems with the site? All week long it's been anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. I can't go for that

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Has anyone else been having problems with the site? All week long it's been anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes.

pretty much everytime i accessed the site this week.

• Its been going on for me for 2 weeks.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    same here its been so slow that at time I just go elsewhere...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

has it ever been fast?

I guess it depends a lot on the number of users online at the same time.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

has it ever been fast?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I've been readin some crazy stories the last week. Involving hosting companies.

One, where someone who worked at the hosting company hacked dudes site and then tried to sell him on a security package.

The other, where dudes at a hosting site were pushing traffic onto a site and then when the dude called about problems, they told him he needed more bandwidth.

I'm not saying any of that is being done here. But for what raj pays, I don't think he should be getting these slowdowns all the time. I've been noticing it for awhile now.

Raj, you sure ur not being attacked in anyway?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

One, where someone who worked at the hosting company hacked dudes site and then tried to sell him on a security package.

The other, where dudes at a hosting site were pushing traffic onto a site and then when the dude called about problems, they told him he needed more bandwidth.

I'm not saying any of that is being done here. But for what raj pays, I don't think he should be getting these slowdowns all the time. I've been noticing it for awhile now.

We are giving the SS MYSQL server quite the workout. I need to upgrade to a server plan with more memory, but I'm mad hesitant as it's an extra $130 / month! If you surf the regular site , it's uber quick, but the board is slow as molasses between the hours of 12-5 EST M-F.

Yeah, $130 more a month is crazy talk. It's not like ur rollin' in the dough from this thing.

Too bad u just can't add more hampster wheels for power.

I wish I had more funds to donate again. But the g/f just talked me into buying another condo, so I'm tapped for awhile.

• But the g/f just talked me into buying another condo, so I'm tapped for awhile.

But the g/f just talked me into buying another condo, so I'm tapped for awhile.

HA.. I wish... More like, it ain't gonna be done for 2-3 years and broke like a joke til we sell the first place and move into the 2nd.

We are giving the SS MYSQL server quite the workout. I need to upgrade to a server plan with more memory, but I'm mad hesitant as it's an extra $130 / month! If you surf the regular site , it's uber quick, but the board is slow as molasses between the hours of 12-5 EST M-F.

I dunno if it's traffic thats slowing down the site. All weekend it's been slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

I dunno if it's traffic thats slowing down the site. All weekend it's been slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

It has nothing to do with traffic. It has to do with the # of folks working that MYSQL server by creating queries through clicks, searches, replies, posts. etc. We all know ss folls are a zealous bunch clicking and refreshing away.

I have tried all I could do to optimize the tables , SQL code, and the myconf file to no avail. An extra gig of memory will probably do wonders ... looks like I will have to make the upgrade as soon as I can get my eBay game back on lock.

searches

People still use the search funtion?

I KEED I KEED!!!

The board seems quicker now anyways.

searches

People still use the search funtion?

I KEED I KEED!!!

The board seems quicker now anyways.

That's because I rebooted it

• Options
    I kind of like Slowstrut, makes it like Christmas morning when a thread opens.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I AM A REFRESHING MANIAC. I AM SORRY FOR THAT.

WHO ELSE?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    It seems the site has been running real nice for the last day or so!

Anyone else notice a difference?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Anyone else notice a difference?
    I do.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shits definitely a lot faster

• I posted about this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...e=2&Main=749048

But, yes, it has been getting better.

• I posted about this a couple of weeks ago:

Not to be all "nyah nyah nyah" or anything ... just pointing out that the site has been slower than usual for a couple of weeks. Better recently, though. Just traffic issues?

• it's free so I'm not complaining . Maybe RAJ should get some donations going, and give the donors something to make them feel important.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    it's free so I'm not complaining .

Truth.

Maybe RAJ should get some donations going, and give the donors something to make them feel important.

Or purchase all your holiday gifts from the soulstrut shop.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Maybe RAJ should get some donations going, and give the donors something to make them feel important[/b]
    Posting here on the boards is a good reward.

I wanted to give it a week before I started celebrating, but I think I "solved" the issue (*Knock on Wood). I took Sunday and sat down and examined the problem thouroghly. It was all a matter of optimizing tables, allocating more memory to the MySQL server, and elimating root cause of slow queires. I found that the user List was causing a lot of slow queires too so I took it off line. So far so good. Peak time yesterday went extremely smooth.

I also want to add that I care very much about this site and the people on this board. I am very gracious for the site's success and the site's rabid supporters. There have been a lot of server problems over the years and you guys and gals have stuck with me through thick and thin. So, thank you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It was all a matter of optimizing tables, allocating more memory to the MySQL server, and elimating root cause of slow queires.

I have no idea what any of this means but I am extremely appreciative that you took the time to squiggle with the MySQL server and get the site up to a faster speed.

Rah rah for Raj!

Yes, thx Raj!

• Yeah ... great job. Looks like you nailed it.

Time for everyone to pick up something from the shop to show our appreciation!!

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Yeah, the site is really fast again. Cheers.

• Thanks Raj