PEACE rules all things

2»

Comments

• I'm just waiting for his collaboration with Lenny Kravitz and Slash to come about. Y'know, so they can pretty much erase all music that ever happened before them.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm just waiting for his collaboration with Lenny Kravitz and Slash to come about. Y'know, so they can pretty much erase all music that ever happened before them.

Don't you have an old man to go blow?

• You're so bad at this... it's not even fun to diss you....

Well, yeah it is... but you gotta work on those comebacks, dude.

• I got a couple really wild out PEACE stories from back when I was living in Cali, but really, one of the most full-impact rap's I have ever seen in my life was the night peace got out of prison after his car accident, and went straight to Blowed....

I get there, and being the one random random white dude from Canada that has interviewed / collaboratoed with some of these cats at one time or another, I kinda got a pass... but I can tell you as a dude that has lived in a lot of fucked up cities in my life, this part of LA was is/was joke, and that smack dab in the middle of this shit there is music that only happens there, that was amongst the best/realest music I have encountered as a fan of everything.

So yeah, long story short. Peace shows up. He is ON ONE.... I mean, dude is really in full on prison mode.... kinda nervous looking, no eye contact with anyone, no pounds, nothing. Some dude is rapping onstage, Peace walks right up to dude and says "pass the mic". The kid looks kinda shook, and hands the shit over.... Peace gives some daps and tells him "no disrespect, but I own this place young homie".

Peace proceeds to just fucking TEAR into "Peace is not the word to play" (a song that I never heard anywhere other than that night, and is to this day one of the cali rap songs I have heard) and follows it up with a couple other unknown joints that just blew peoples minds wide open.

Nobody in the crowd said anything, when it was done, like, no applause, nobody said anything, dudes were on full on 'what the fuck' mode. SUPER TENSE and really almost a spiritual thing.

As much as FF have had thier ups and downs, its kind of a thing where a lot of context doesnt translate outside LA and the Bay... which is really unfortunate... a lot of dudes pop shit about these guys, and and think that these guys never reached full potential recording and whatnot, but really, all of these dudes are straight KILLERS on or off the mic. They are real dudes. They will throw. They got some real stories and maybe some questionable life decisions, same as most people I know.

PEACE is a dude that I have worked with, and if it was at a different time in his life, I think I could have got some really solid material out of, unfortunately the songs that I made with him are more songs for the "dude can rap, but this is nothing special" pile. I never released them. They are just some joints that I made with a talented dude. I respect that guy immensely, think he is a little crazy, and that out of anyone I come in contact with in my 15+ years of making music, is the most naturally gifted rapper I have ever met.

Dudes that talk shit on this guy are seriously playing themselves.
    People that know what rap is can not front on dude.

• The stars must be aligned. P.E.A.C.E. got a little cameo in Steve Jobs' Apple iPod announcement today:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/s83522y/event/index.html?internal=g4h5jl83a

At the 00:20:34 mark.

P.E.A.C.E. not only rules all things, he is a stealthy ubiquitous dude.

• I'm a dose fan

I'm a dose fan

I'm a dose fan

I'm a dose fan

I'm a dose fan

HARD AS F*CK?!?!

PEACE is an enigma...

Okay, comments on these...

Youtube #1: The question isn't so much: who since '92 has done spoken word such mind-blowing justice? But who prior to '92 as well? In other words, I'm putting the Fellowship up there as the best to EVER do it. And damned if PEACE isn't straight up fierce with his...

Youtube #2: Just want to make sure that folks watched the clip long enough to witness a clear-cut rhyme biter being both approached and handled by PEACE. And definitely notice that when he says "stop the muthafuckin press" how quiet it gets in that room.

Youtube #3: Make sure to wade through the cursory stage talk long enough to get to PEACE's Michael Winslow-inspired routine.

Youtube #4: Dude looks like a shell of his former self, which considering all that he's been through I guess makes one conclude: it is what it is...but that mid-rhyme squack is a perfect indication of forever-tapped-into-other-worldliness.

The first time I ever saw PEACE perform was at the Good Life in '94. Apparently he put some mysterious name on the sign-up sheet and when it came his turn people were calling out the unknown moniker and confusedly looking around the room for someone to step up. Then suddenly as if he emerged from an undetected portal, PEACE pops up out of nowhere, grabs the mic, and then goes into the most complex-yet-fluid freestyle I had ever heard up to that point. In other words, moreso than anyone that entire summer (and that's when Khule was at the peak of his game), he killed.

In fact, I was thinking the other day how there has yet to be another mc to catch up with what PEACE has been doing since like '91. Twista used to share the same uniqueness, but I've since heard mc's fairly accurately replicate his style. Same goes for Mikah 9. But PEACE...still friggin untouchable.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Youtube #2: Just want to make sure that folks watched the clip long enough to witness a clear-cut rhyme biter being both approached and handled by PEACE. And definitely notice that when he says "stop the muthafuckin press" how quiet it gets in that room.

I think he says "stop the praise".

• Twista used to share the same uniqueness

how is it unique when he was merely biting Bone who in turn was biting the Blowed?

Twista used to share the same uniqueness

how is it unique when he was merely biting Bone who in turn was biting the Blowed?

So that's your take on it?

Sure ain't mine...and never has been.

• Twista used to share the same uniqueness

So that's your take on it?

Sure ain't mine...and never has been.

plaese to explain yours.

• I got a couple really wild out PEACE stories from back when I was living in Cali, but really, one of the most full-impact rap's I have ever seen in my life was the night peace got out of prison after his car accident, and went straight to Blowed....

I get there, and being the one random random white dude from Canada that has interviewed / collaboratoed with some of these cats at one time or another, I kinda got a pass... but I can tell you as a dude that has lived in a lot of fucked up cities in my life, this part of LA was is/was joke, and that smack dab in the middle of this shit there is music that only happens there, that was amongst the best/realest music I have encountered as a fan of everything.

So yeah, long story short. Peace shows up. He is ON ONE.... I mean, dude is really in full on prison mode.... kinda nervous looking, no eye contact with anyone, no pounds, nothing. Some dude is rapping onstage, Peace walks right up to dude and says "pass the mic". The kid looks kinda shook, and hands the shit over.... Peace gives some daps and tells him "no disrespect, but I own this place young homie".

Peace proceeds to just fucking TEAR into "Peace is not the word to play" (a song that I never heard anywhere other than that night, and is to this day one of the cali rap songs I have heard) and follows it up with a couple other unknown joints that just blew peoples minds wide open.

Nobody in the crowd said anything, when it was done, like, no applause, nobody said anything, dudes were on full on 'what the fuck' mode. SUPER TENSE and really almost a spiritual thing.

As much as FF have had thier ups and downs, its kind of a thing where a lot of context doesnt translate outside LA and the Bay... which is really unfortunate... a lot of dudes pop shit about these guys, and and think that these guys never reached full potential recording and whatnot, but really, all of these dudes are straight KILLERS on or off the mic. They are real dudes. They will throw. They got some real stories and maybe some questionable life decisions, same as most people I know.

PEACE is a dude that I have worked with, and if it was at a different time in his life, I think I could have got some really solid material out of, unfortunately the songs that I made with him are more songs for the "dude can rap, but this is nothing special" pile. I never released them. They are just some joints that I made with a talented dude. I respect that guy immensely, think he is a little crazy, and that out of anyone I come in contact with in my 15+ years of making music, is the most naturally gifted rapper I have ever met.

Dudes that talk shit on this guy are seriously playing themselves.
    People that know what rap is can not front on dude.

That's a good story dog, about seeing him after he got out. But I wouldn't say Leimert is really that hood at all. Try making a left down 43rd and heading East! LOL my ex used to live down there that hood trumps all they call that the low bottoms

I think you are correct in saying this shit just never translated. I seen Acey kill it so hard at a swap meet in Watts somewhere and it will never see the light of day.

This kid I recorded with once Mars from Afronauts was supposedly behind him in a caravan of cars when he crashed. But all that is hearsay.

And that kits n pits project didn't really see too much play, but that last solo album was cool "connected functions" etc. were real good

• BUMP.

• I found his Southern Fry'd Chicken LP the other day. Had the CD since it was released, but never knew it was available on vinyl.