are letterman jackets a good look?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
i am kinda obsessed with vintage/throwback sports memorabilia, especially wearable items. this is what i am debating should i go for it? or should i :walk away son: ?

Comments

• these are dope; I, too am a fan of this item.

so long as they are not covered with non-sensical logos.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i am kinda obsessed with vintage/throwback sports memorabilia, especially wearable items.

this is what i am debating

should i go for it? or should i :walk away son: ?

On you? I think this would be a good look.

But not for everyone.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i am kinda obsessed with vintage/throwback sports memorabilia, especially wearable items.

Me too! That Athletics jacket is dope. Lets hope Phill Most Chill gets in on this thread and posts pictures of his collection!

Phill's collection is

Part of my closet:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    It's a good look, but it's not as good a look as an 8-ball jacket.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Me too! That Athletics jacket is dope. Lets hope Phill Most Chill gets in on this thread and posts pictures of his collection!

Phill's collection is

Part of my closet:

that is awesome

i immediately bought this after i saw a picture online of magic jackson wearing an old expos hat

I want to get these for the winter:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Those sleeves look really thin for a letterman styled jacket.

I've still got my football letter jacket from high school which is unfortunately quite ugly with its properly sized but why-the-hell-did-they-go-with-red-that-year sleeves.

I wish I had my old Houston Oilers letterman styled jacket from when I was a kid. Wait a second...that had red sleeves as well. I recall requesting that my mom order it for me from the Sears catalog, in which the jacket had white sleeves against Columbia blue. Of course when the jacket arrived and was given to me as a Christmas gift...red friggin sleeves.

Didn't deter me from wearing it though...along with matching Oilers gloves and stocking cap.

i immediately bought this after i saw a picture online of magic jackson wearing an old expos hat

I just got this jersey:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    It depends on where you live I suppose. I work with a bloke whose fiancee is from Green Bay. He came back a few weeks ago rocking a Packers jacket.

It looked... nasty.

It's like when you see some pics of Califor-nye-eh totty rolling in a 1975 Corvette in the sunshine. You think, "That car is nectar. I want one."

Then you go to autotrader.co.uk and on UK driveways they look sadder than a caged and malnourished eastern-blok circus bear.

If you know what I mean.

But hotties can generally pull of any look. If the clothes are really crap, blokes just think she's being ironic.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I wish I had my old Houston Oilers letterman styled jacket from when I was a kid.

i love the oilers logo

RIP oil tower

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    you have this one Chan?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I was looking at some on Ebay the other day too. I got a question though. Is it possible to rock these even if you're not 6'2"? And where do you cross the line between bold and tacky?

you have this one Chan?

Nah hommie. That is a Majestic jersey and I only get down with the Mitchell & Ness joints. Majestic jerseys are cheap and not authentic made throwbacks. Majestic jerseys are not the correct weight and do not have accurate player names and numbers or sleeve patches. I have a zip up pin stripe Tug McGraw Phillies jersey like this but mine also has the patches on the sleeves:

What you want is this Mitchell and Ness 1976 Mike Schmidt Phillies away jersey. This is the realness:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Oh, hell yes...life is just a kick in the grass.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Oh, hell yeah it's a good look - but you gotta get real leather
    sleeves and a decent lining, etc - a cheap looking varisty jacket
    just looks...cheap.

I've had a few, but this is the only one I have left -
    and it doesn't really fit me anymore, unfortunately:

JYEAH!!!!!!! One of my all time favorite sports logos. Shit is EXTRA Gangster cause the team was called the Hustlers and they were from Bmore!!!! Some guys I know made some shirts years ago with the logo but changed the colors and the name to Harlem. I just pulled one out of the closet:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    no.

no.

NO? In the late 80s almost every hip-hop group had label/band letterman jackets that were fresh to death! I REALLY wanted a Luke Skyywalker records letterman jacket back then! Crink, YOU are not hip-hop!

Crink, YOU are not hip-hop!

you're a dork son, fall back.

I guess those of us who who got spit on in high school by people wearing these kinda have some "baggage" associated with them.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I guess those of us who who got spit on in high school by people wearing these kinda have some "baggage" associated with them.

You better watch who you are calling a dork! I'll fly down there and challenge you to a fishfight! I'll hit you with a California roll!!!!!

I'll hit you with a California roll!!!!!

Is this "keystyling"?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Crink, I found your jacket lil dude.

Crink, I found your jacket lil dude.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Yes.

I own a Converse Letterman Jacket w/ 1908 across the front in Celtics Green that's my shit.

One day im gonna go get a customized Jacket that is a replica of the Thriller Letterman that MJ terrorizes Ola Ray w/ the M on the chest.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

great selection as usual. i have a few Iowa Oaks shirts.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Great bump.