Digital recorders for DJ sets

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I'm looking into portable digital recorders for recording DJ sets.In the past i've messed around with minidisc, but even in mono mode you have a limited amount of time. The new ones which record in the Hi-MD format aren't compatible with Mac.I've also heard mixed reactions to the M-Audio device, if only for the problems with the tight fitting RCA inputs.So I guess i'm trying to find out what options are out there... it needs to be able to record for at least 2 hours, and preferably in an uncompressed format (WAV or AIFF).

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm looking into portable digital recorders for recording DJ sets.
    In the past i've messed around with minidisc, but even in mono mode you have a limited amount of time. The new ones which record in the Hi-MD format aren't compatible with Mac.
    I've also heard mixed reactions to the M-Audio device, if only for the problems with the tight fitting RCA inputs.
    So I guess i'm trying to find out what options are out there... it needs to be able to record for at least 2 hours, and preferably in an uncompressed format (WAV or AIFF).

Not sure what your set-up is, but have you considered laptop recording? You are able to record at a higher bit-rate, which you can then convert to something lower if you want to distribute it as a CD or a lossless file. At least with a laptop, you can just set it up, record, and edit directly, then distribute in whatever way you want.

I had first heard of laptop recording for live shows when some tapers were recording Soulive. Recording on a portable DAT is still part of the norm, but to be able to have a tapeless set-up was appealing. This was a few years before any hard drive recording devices were on the market or even thought of. They set up their mics on the lip of the stage, and the sound quality was incredible. You can either record it with a stealth mic, record it directly off the board, or have your own mixer to laptop set-up right there so you are in control. At least if you are using your own laptop, you're also in control of who has that recording. It's not the nightclub's drunk-ass soundman who is about to distribute your show on eTree.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'm coming off Microwave, so going straight back into the same laptop is a no-no. And buying a whole new laptop just for recording is pushing the budget to the limit. So far the M-Audio MicroTrack is looking the best option...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm coming off Microwave, so going straight back into the same laptop is a no-no. And buying a whole new laptop just for recording is pushing the budget to the limit. So far the M-Audio MicroTrack is looking the best option...

Fair enough. I too am curious about how others record their own sets.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Creative used to make something that looked like a discman, but was actually a recording device. It gave options of how you wanted to record (.wav, etc) and you could go for a long time as it had a lot of memory. My buddy and i used to record bands live and go back to his place and have the CD that night.

Not sure where Creative stacks up in reputability, but this would definitely work for your application. i used to record 6 hrs on minidisc in the one mode (LP? Its been a few years)...it was always said that you lost sound quality, but if you're going line in (vs. mics and crowd noise as i used to do) you would still come off sounding good.

• Creative used to make something that looked like a discman, but was actually a recording device. It gave options of how you wanted to record (.wav, etc) and you could go for a long time as it had a lot of memory. My buddy and i used to record bands live and go back to his place and have the CD that night.

Not sure where Creative stacks up in reputability, but this would definitely work for your application. i used to record 6 hrs on minidisc in the one mode (LP? Its been a few years)...it was always said that you lost sound quality, but if you're going line in (vs. mics and crowd noise as i used to do) you would still come off sounding good.

It's the Nomad Jukebox 3.

I've had one for the past 4-5 years and it's been great. Sound quality is pretty good for a consumer device. 44.1khz at 16bits (CD quality). It's discontinued but the crop up ebay pretty regularly. Bear in mind the battery life diminishes over time, but you can run it from the mains. It can also take two batteries for double the life span.

• I'm coming off Microwave, so going straight back into the same laptop is a no-no. And buying a whole new laptop just for recording is pushing the budget to the limit. So far the M-Audio MicroTrack is looking the best option...

I have a microtrack and love it. Recording vinyl, live shows, field recordings, etc. No problems whatsoever.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yeah the MicroTrack could be the one. You can put 2GB cards in those right? I should get a couple of hours even in WAV format right?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Does it have a built in mic or do you hook in for field recording? If you have to hook in, what's the pre-amp situation?

Sorry, dont have the time to research it at the moment, but it looks like something i could really use.