Little dude ebay question...

kwalitykwality 620 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
So I was recently outbid on something, which didn't stress me too much, but then I recieved a second chance option. The thing was though, it was from another seller for the same item. I realise something shady has happened, but I'm wondering how and why? I know it's a little dude question, but I've managed to avoid ebay up until now. I'm wondering how often this happens.Any experiences?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Is it just some dude emailing saying hey I have a copy or what?

• So I was recently outbid on something, which didn't stress me too much, but then I recieved a second chance option. The thing was though, it was from another seller for the same item. I realise something shady has happened, but I'm wondering how and why? I know it's a little dude question, but I've managed to avoid ebay up until now. I'm wondering how often this happens.
    Any experiences?

Smells like a scam. If it's just some dude saying he's got another copy, fine, but if it's a second chance offer trying to look legit, I wouldn't test.

Try copying the link from the email to your browser, and if it doesn't begin with "cgi.ebay.com" or "www.ebay.com" it's a scam.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Try copying the link from the email to your browser, and if it doesn't begin with "cgi.ebay.com" or "www.ebay.com" it's a scam.

Yep, always pays to move the cursor around to check and see if it's a legitimate link. Generally, eBay will send you a message saying that you have a message. If that happens, go to your eBay account FIRST and see if that same message is there.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    This is where it gets weird, it's supposedly the same auction, but from a different seller ID. But wierdest of all is that the email really does appear to be from ebay. All links head back to ebay, but the item i bid on was from a seller in australia, and this one is from one in texas who sells beat up old cars.

I just recieved this email...

Hello,

I've sent you this second chance offer because the winner of my auction didn`t reply to my emails. There are lots of bidders that bid on the auction for fun and i hope you are serious and we can make a clear deal. I work for Shell International E&P and I begined a 2 year job assignment in Madrid, Spain. I have decided to sell the item now for your last bid price, i've made you a honest offer and I see you have accepted it. Free shipping for this product and delivery to your door in 2-3 business days top!!

If you decide to purchase it please email me back asap with the delivery details (name,complete address,postal code) including your eBay user ID.

I need the details exactly like i have requested them, because i'll have to forward the details to eBay Security Center to open a case regarding our transaction. Shortly, they will contact you with an invoice in order to complete the transaction! I am dealing only through eBay to close the deal as is the safest way to close an internet transaction.

Thank you.

P.S. THE ABOVE DETAILS ARE NECESSARY TO START THE DEAL THRU EBAY, IF YOU DONT ACCEPT EBAY'S PROTECTION I WONT PROCEED WITH THIS TRANSACTION.

• yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh...............fuck that.

sounds about as shady as a lady in a mustache.

what record was it or your soft.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    scam. you should report dude...

what record was it or your soft.

It was actually an mpc... does that make even more of a little dude? Thing is though, what would this guy want? Would he expect me to put the money in his account or something? Do these scammers actually make any money like this?

Thanks for your help everyone... should I become an ebay snitch? And if the dude doing it had good feedback, would it be safe to say that his account had been hacked? Anyway, I've changed my password and everything so hopefully I won't hear from the dude again.

But if anyone has an mpc they wanna get rid of holla!

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah that is a common scam. I chill on a board all about mpcs and in the last couple of years ive seen like a dozen people get burned by these types of scams. There is some gullible motherfuckers out there. Best way to bid on an mpc is paypal from buyers with good feedback. just like anything on ebay. the only time though i had any scams sent to me when i was selling gear. I was selling two samplers and some dude tried pulling that nigerian scam on me. Which is like they send you a counterfit check and give you this big song and dance about shipping the shit. I almost fell for the shit, but then got supicous last minute.

• This is where it gets weird, it's supposedly the same auction, but from a different seller ID. But wierdest of all is that the email really does appear to be from ebay. All links head back to ebay, but the item i bid on was from a seller in australia, and this one is from one in texas who sells beat up old cars.

Hello,

I've sent you this second chance offer because the winner of my auction didn`t reply to my emails. There are lots of bidders that bid on the auction for fun and i hope you are serious and we can make a clear deal. I work for Shell International E&P and I begined a 2 year job assignment in Madrid, Spain. I have decided to sell the item now for your last bid price, i've made you a honest offer and I see you have accepted it. Free shipping for this product and delivery to your door in 2-3 business days top!!

If you decide to purchase it please email me back asap with the delivery details (name,complete address,postal code) including your eBay user ID.

I need the details exactly like i have requested them, because i'll have to forward the details to eBay Security Center to open a case regarding our transaction. Shortly, they will contact you with an invoice in order to complete the transaction! I am dealing only through eBay to close the deal as is the safest way to close an internet transaction.

Thank you.

P.S. THE ABOVE DETAILS ARE NECESSARY TO START THE DEAL THRU EBAY, IF YOU DONT ACCEPT EBAY'S PROTECTION I WONT PROCEED WITH THIS TRANSACTION.

i'm actually not so sure this is a scam...i mean it could be but there is never any place the guy actually asks for some money...just your address and stuff. and he mentions you did accept his offer...if it has a record on ebay you have some leverage...i don't know how is this guys feedback ?

you could do paypal...if you don't get it in 30 days or something just do a chargeback and you get your money back...

• One of the things you can do to ensure that the ebay emails are real is by switching your emails to text. that way the fake ones will have html (though ebay sometimes sends you ads, but those will have your full name).

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    This is where it gets weird, it's supposedly the same auction, but from a different seller ID. But wierdest of all is that the email really does appear to be from ebay. All links head back to ebay, but the item i bid on was from a seller in australia, and this one is from one in texas who sells beat up old cars.

Hello,

Thank you.

that's gotta be a scam..."begined" a 2 year assignment in Madrid? Uh okay. And how is he going to get your shit to you from Spain in 2-3 days? I wouldn't even mess with it, but if you want just tell him to send you a total with his paypal ID and you'll paypal him. There's no reason for him to need all that info from you, sounds like he's slow playing you. Or you could send him what he wants and see what happens, I guarantee you in a day or two he'll be like "shit ebay are being bastards about this, i need your credit card info and then we'll be all set" or some crap like that.

^^^^^^
    Word, I think it's a slow play. It just makes no sense that the item I bid on was in Australia, and suddenly I've got a second chance from the states. Not to mention that I wasn't even the second highest bidder.
    Cheers for your help gents, I think I'll steer clear.