FRANK SENT ME: 2 African Mixes To Melt Your Face

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah these mixes are out of control.

Thanks to Frank for sharing, this is beyond belief.

The Funkees track I'm listening to right now is mindmelting.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    a wealth sharing of absurdly great proportions! SO cool. A lesson to all. Huge thanks!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

FELA KUTI IS MY FAVORITE! i like him a lot! i'm so proud that my mom bought his records! he's one of my favorite musicians! brilliant music! he's best!!!

this reminds me of a French ebayer after winning a fela record.

(I am not making fun of you because Fela is fkin amazing , but the way you typed it was funny)

yes! but what else should i have said? fela is killing it, maybe?! fela -->

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Life looks sweet... apart from needing an AK-47 by your side. I could never *really* chill knowing I might have to get busy with the Widow Making at any given time. Maybe the rum helps?

But thanks - this kind of restores some faith in humanity.

I's really not all that dangerous here. The AK47 belongs to our guards who laeve it with us when they go on a break. It's so far only been used at night when there's shots fired outside the compound. If the shots are getting too close, they let off a few rounds in the air to let folks on the other side know that someone's at home...

Thank you all for digging this stuff.

There's some stuff on there that I'm so far not 100% sure if I'd play them out or not. Like for example the Perry Earnest "funky city". What do you all think? Would you consider this one dacefloor material?

The dangerous thing of this african stuff is that it really grows on you and being retired and all, I'm kinda worried I'm getting too far away from what works in a club... I can never be exactly sure of how long this sweet life is going to last and I might have to start throwing club nights again at some point.

By the way, this was in a stack of 45s that I bought last week, the record isn't all too interesting. This is the "African" reissue label that pumped out hundreds of 45s. It took me a while to see what it really was that's been attached to this fine bottle of palmliquer or whatever was in there...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I really want to retire. I'm going to show that photo to my wifey. I think she'll support me fully.

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    The dangerous thing of this african stuff is that it really grows on you, I'm kinda worried I'm getting too far away from what works in a club...

same problem over here! all these awesome non-funk afro sounds, to lay back and enjoy!
    unfortunately not on a canvas chair in africa ;-)

Perry Earnest? i'd dance to it :-) not being a big Dj but think it could work well if placed at the right moment!
    we played lots of "does-it-work-on-the-floor?" african stuff last weekend to a very difficult crowd...
    50% were satisfied with Ibo shoutings & complexed rhythms.
    i also noticed heavy foot tapping action in the cool hipster corner! great ;-)

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    possibility of a re-up gang?

• The links still work.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The links still work.

thanks again.

(while polishing Frank's shoes): "I need more" on mix 2 is superb
    with the vocals and the creeping space action in background and 7 minutes is
    The Funkees cut is unbelievable;
    to end the mix with the Fela Kuti cut that I thought would never end is

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thanks for sharing Frank! AWESOME stuff. Props to Jonny for getting it up here, too.

Is there an AFE01.mp3 ?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    really want to hear this, but when i got to download it goes " There are no free download slots available."
    rapidshare?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I's really not all that dangerous here. The AK47 belongs to our guards...

Stop it! Ya killin me'!!!!

• really want to hear this, but when i got to download it goes " There are no free download slots available."
    rapidshare?

It will count you down and then you can request another slot.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Although, to be fair, violence is on a whole different level in Africa. I have a very good French Nigerian friend from way back when we used to gig in the same band. I asked him why his family lived in France now.

"Because some locals turned up to my uncle's ranch, oxy-acetalined through the electic fence, and slaughtered the rest of my family with machine guns as they slept."

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    finally managed to get a free download slot...
    great music - great mix. thanks a lot for sharing!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    really want to hear this, but when i got to download it goes " There are no free download slots available."
    rapidshare?

It will count you down and then you can request another slot.

thanks. been playing these on a lazy sunday, its great!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I really want to retire.

Hey Cosmo!

We should hook up when I come to NY next year (which will probably be around May/June) and work out a retirement plan for you...

Since Silk City closed down, I don't really know where to spin in Philly anymore... do you have an idea by any chance?

And of course a big thank you to all for the nice comments... almost overwhelming!
    Really motivating!

Thanx again to Jonny for posting!

• There's some stuff on there that I'm so far not 100% sure if I'd play them out or not. Like for example the Perry Earnest "funky city". What do you all think? Would you consider this one dacefloor material?
    [/img]

yothanks for posting this mix...

but i think you are right, the material on these mixes is great and if djed to a room of soulstrutters may induce a moshpit, but i'm not sure how much of this stuff is dancefloor material. definitely some floor fillers in the mix though!!

problem with afro is that the fidelity is mega low, even if the track is bananas the mix may be doo on stick. i hear people attempting to rock afrofunk in clubs out here (in los angeles) heads like cut chemist, egon, the like..... crowd reaction is

• Since Silk City closed down, I don't really know where to spin in Philly anymore... do you have an idea by any chance?

silk city is supposed to open under new ownership, and continue doing some dj stuff. a place called 'm room' picked up some of the slack including the mod soul night.

i'll be downloading this after work

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Wow! These mixes are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing them.

To be specific, i'd say that these tracks stood out the most for me (but the rest is really good too):

the funkees -now i'm a man
    pat thomas & marijata -i need more
    the doves -echoing winds

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    just got a chance to listen to these late this afternoon.

so very nice.

thanks frank/jp for sharing.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Thanks, Frank!

These mixes are an excellent listen, and appreciate your labors. This Black Santiagos track on mix 2 is killing me. What's the story on that one?

• just got a chance to listen to these late this morning.

so very nice.

thanks frank/jp for sharing.

so very nice indeed

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanks, Frank!

These mixes are an excellent listen, and appreciate your labors. This Black Santiagos track on mix 2 is killing me. What's the story on that one?

I don't know much about it except that it's considered to be one of the very first Afrobeat recordings from the late 60s. There is one on eBay right now where the seller gives up some more detailed info:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Santiagos-Ole-...1QQcmdZViewItem

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanks for sharing Frank! AWESOME stuff. Props to Jonny for getting it up here, too.

Is there an AFE01.mp3 ?

there is... but I only have a bounced radio version with me talking in my annoying german accent that I just can't seem to shake off... it doesn't really bother me down here in africa where nobody speaks any language properly (which I think is great! Just imagine, all urban folks I've met so far speak either english or french plus their own tribal language plus 1 to " other tribal languages, insane!) but I' feel kinda inhibitted about letting you guys hear this.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of other mixes coming up within the next few months and hopefuly years.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Since Silk City closed down, I don't really know where to spin in Philly anymore... do you have an idea by any chance?

silk city is supposed to open under new ownership, and continue doing some dj stuff. a place called 'm room' picked up some of the slack including the mod soul night.

i'll be downloading this after work

Hey, thanx a lot for the info!
    Maybe I'll be able to work something out.
    Always loved to go to Philly.

Thanx

Frank

Thanks, Frank!

I don't know much about it except that it's considered to be one of the very first Afrobeat recordings from the late 60s. There is one on eBay right now where the seller gives up some more detailed info:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Santiagos-Ole-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for that link! What's this thing typically go for? Whoever put down that initial bid really seems to want it badly, and I'm trying to hang. Quantity anywhere?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Oh shoot!
    Now I've posted a link to a live auction without realizing that a friend is biding on it.

Sorry Rainer!

Damnit...!

I have no idea what this "typically" goes for.

I do have two or three spares of this that probably will end up at Jonnys store some time early next summer.

Oh shoot!
    Now I've posted a link to a live auction without realizing that a friend is biding on it.

Sorry Rainer!

Damnit...!

I have no idea what this "typically" goes for.

I do have two or three spares of this that probably will end up at Jonnys store some time early next summer.

OOF.

send my apologies.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks duke
    always appreciated